Hair Washing and no make-up! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Washing and no make-up! Hair Washing and no make-up!

Unread 01-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Hair Washing

I was allowed to shower. The nurse had to put a glove over my IV. It was in my hand. My roomie could not get out of the bed, so the nurses used a shampoo bag on her. They warmed it in the microwave, put it on her head and massaged. Then they took a towel and towel dried. A friend of hers then braided her hair. I guess this is somewhat similar to the dry shampoo route. She was pleased with the results. I don't know about the rest of you, but the night sweats started on me the first night --- talk about greasy hair !!!:burning:
Hope everything goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Hair Washing and no make-up!

My surgery was from 1-3:15P on a Friday. By 10A on Saturday, the nurse told me "Okay, it's time for you to take a shower now. There was a little seat in the shower stall that I sat on. The nurse helped me in (the IV was next to me outside the stall) and checked on me from time to time, but basically left me alone. She told me to let the water run on my incision that it was good for it. I was still pretty nauseous and dizzy and did not feel like doing my hair so I waited until the next day.

I had a vertical incision with steristrips over it. I know there was a dressing on it as well the first day, but it was taken off sometime that day.
Unread 01-15-2002, 04:37 PM

I just had a abdominal hyst on jan 3 2002. I was allowed to wear make up to the hosp...i did not skimp nothing. The only thing is if you polish your nails wear a light color..The thing the put on your finger can't read through dark or pearly nailpolish... So keep that in mind...

As for a shower I was allowed to take on the next day...It was great. Lil bit dizzy and out of it from meds. My Hubby helped me in and out and made sure i did not slip.

If you ask The hospitals do have no water no rinse shampoo. The cleaning lady came in my room and talked to me alot... She stocked me up just because she was sweet.
I have not used it on me yet, I have long thick hair so I don't know how it works on me. But I used it on my kids 2 girls and 1 boy. It was great.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you girls

I am sure it will go great

Hugs, Tarrish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 05:25 PM

First off, unless you are told you can't, there's no reason not to shower before you go to the castle....just ask your doctor.

Believe me, you will not be worried about blush & mascara for awhile...you'll have other things going on. Bring some nice smelling body lotion, some baby powder, and your own moisturizer (and your toothbrush & toothpaste). Even if you can't shower right away, you can certainly wash up really well...the nurses will help you with warm water, soap, washclothes, etc. I did bring my own washcloth and nice fluffy towel from home...that was nice.

Most of the time, you are able to shower and wash your hair a day or two after your surgery. Most hospital bathrooms even have built-in blowdryers now!

Something to remember...you don't want to look too 'normal'...if you look like nothing happened, you may find that people expect you to be acting normal. It's good to stay in your PJs...it helps to remind those around you that you just had something HUGE done and you need to be cared for!!

s to you all!!!!

Karen
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Bring some nice smelling body lotion, some baby powder, and your own moisturizer (and your toothbrush & toothpaste).
Do they allow baby powder? About 25 years ago my younger sister's appendix ruptured. It was late May and got very hot. The old hospital wasn't air conditioned and she was so hot and sweaty. I took some baby powder in to put on her to make her feel better. Well, one of the nuns saw that and gave me holy h***. Told me if dr saw that he'd shoot me, because of the incision, and the powder could get in there. Don't know if that was correct or not, but it has sure stuck with me all this time! I love baby powder when I'm hot and sweaty, but every time I use it all I can think about is that nun!
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:04 PM

Hello~

I showered the morning of my surgery. I didn't put on any perfume or make-up...but I wanted to be clean for goodness sake! I also showered the next day after surgery & washed my hair. They had a chair in the shower stall for me to sit in...that helped. I brought make-up with me but never did use it. The only product I used, and used it a lot was my Carmex!

Unread 01-15-2002, 06:13 PM

I am getting the Sinaed O'Conner cut the day before durgury, well, at least the Halle Berry cut. My oily hair would have me looking like a bag woman by the time I was out of the OR. I live by myself and think I will feel better if I am not feeling like a scum while a lay around the house. It will dry fast and take no muss or fuss if my energy is too low for much primping during recovery. Plus, if I end up needing chemo or radiation, I will be ready for shedding.

<----looking forward to me Guinness!
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:42 PM

I'm glad to read all these posts, as I have wondered all these things, too.

I did read in my hospitals literature concerning surgery, they will not allow nail polish of any kind. There goes the manicure and pedicure I was going to treat myself to!

Another thing, I know this sounds silly, but I have NEVER taken off my wedding band in 24 yrs. Not even when I had my children. But I read you have to take off all jewelry. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks--

Take care LIW
Unread 01-15-2002, 06:59 PM

I left my wedding ring and anniversary ring at home-just felt better about knowing exactly where they were if by some chance they made me take them off before surgery. However, when I had my D&C a few months before my hyst, they just put tape over my rings before they took me to OR.

As for showering, my surgery was scheduled for afternoon, so I took a nice bath, did my hair, but didn't put on any makeup. The nurses washed me up that night after surgery, and the following night helped me wash up even more, and they even put some nice lotion on my back. I was allowed to shower and wash my hair after the 2nd night, right before I went home.

I was pretty out of it the day after surgery, and didn't worry too much about how I looked. My daughter helped me to comb my hair so I didn't look too much like "rooster cogburn"!!

My surgery was TAH/BSO.
Unread 01-15-2002, 07:07 PM

The evening before my surgery I had an appointment to get my hair colored and trimmed. My hair looked nice the entire time I was in the hospital. I took make-up but had no desire to worry about applying make-up and mascara etc. I pretty much was whipped from the surgery so all I cared to do was rest in the hospital. I wanted to rest up so that I could go home.

The nurses gave me these moistened sheets that were warmed in the microwave and used for me to bathe myself without having to use a shower. The moistened sheets are called Therma-Bath and are disposable paper sheets that are soft and moistened and contain aloe. My hospital did not use the washcloth and soap and water tub. This was so simple and it smelled really good. That's about all I was up to................resting drinking fluids, eating, walking the hall at the hospital..............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register