About that I.V...... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

About that I.V...... About that I.V......

Unread 01-15-2002, 08:44 PM
About that I.V......

Hi,

I know how you feel I also have very tiny veins. Seems like when I go to have blood work done they are digging for gold. Anyway I had my IV in the day of surgery and the day after. When your admitted to the hospital let the nurse know about your veins. I always ask them to use a very small needle, and usually have no problem.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:33 PM
about that I.V.

HI,
I am an X nurse, and believe me... " poking " patients was NOT my idea of fun. , was an NICU nurse, and placed IV's into the smallest of veins in the body as well as an occasional scalp vein when nothing else was available. Believe me, nurses want to start the IV the first time.... and just an FYI, if you are pre op & the nurse misses the IV stick, ask for the anesthesiologist to do it... they are usually VERY good at starting IV's... ( Sorry, I too felt the need to stick up for nurses ). Now with that said...
When I had my myomectomy 3 yrs ago, I had my IV for 2 days post op. They took it out when my pain med pump had been stopped & I was on oral pain medication, and I had been tolerating fluids & food. I am assuming the same thing will happen with my hysterectomy...
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:23 PM
About that I.V......

Alyson, I am interested to know more about the cream patch and freezing needle. Is the patch EMLA? if so, how do they know an hour ahead where they will do the IV, I mean without checking our your veins? Does the freezing needle numb your whole arm? Anyone else have experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 11:33 PM
About that I.V......

When I had a D&C on an out-patient basis at the hospital, the anesthesiolist gave me something with a little, tiny needle that numbed just the spot where he followed up by putting the IV needle in there - maybe that's the freezing needle. It was very nice!
Unread 01-16-2002, 03:16 AM
About that I.V......

The cream patch - I'm not sure exactly what it is - it is often used for kids who need an IV. It may very well be EMLA.

The patch is put on the back of your hand, covering all the veins in that area. It's a square shape, about 2x2 inches. It takes about an hour for the freezing to take effect, so I let the intake nurses know ahead of time and it is put on. I can still feel myself touching the area through the plastic covering until just before the IV goes in. (What can I say - I wanted to be sure it was working so I kept testing it....) The IV is put in right through the patch - there is a second plastic covering under the first one and the top layer is removed. The needle then goes through the second layer, which is a snake-skin like covering. It is not totally effective (for me anyways) but it does help. It's a good method for those of us who just don't handle big needles!
Unread 01-16-2002, 01:17 PM
About that I.V......

When I went in for my lap in March an then again my hyst in Dec The put this little bity needle on my arm. It stung for a second but then it didn't hurt at all and I didn't even feel the iv going in. I think it was like a novacaine type med.
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:34 PM
To those who have defended the nurses...

I know there are nurses out there that know what they are doing, but in my own defense let me tell you what happend year before last when I was in for a gall bladder removal..I did give the nurse one try then told her if she couldnt to please get someone that was an expert at finding hard to find viens, and glad I did, I shared my room with a older woman who was in for exploratory, I had to lay in bed and hear this older woman bawl her eyes out because this lousy nurse was frustrated and couldnt find her vien and was telling this obviously normally put together woman that it was her fault she couldnt hit the vien because she wouldnt relax. Not only did she tell her this once, but that was what she kept telling her over and over.
Needless to say when the witch/nurse came to take out MY I.V. I told her to take a hike she wasnt touching me and made her get me a diffrent nurse. HELLO!!! This is MY body and I am not a pincushion. I WILL NOT be used as a pincushion and if you dont know what you are doing get me somebody who does!!!!
I know there are lots of good nurses out there who can get it right before the 5th jab. I find them after I give them a one jab try. I have even gone to open confrences to explain the problem of nurses not being very well learned in this area.
I guess some nurses just know how to get to those viens better then others. I still stick with my one poke limit. *punch*
betty
Unread 01-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Sorry about the vent above everyone!!!

I didnt mean it to come over that I hate nurses, on the contrary, most nurses do make me feel better it is sometimes just that couple of over worked underpayed ones to give you a rotten outlook what to expect at your next stay at the hospitol.
Just thought I should add that, I dont hate nurses, just the ones that are rotten. LOL
Unread 01-16-2002, 03:09 PM
About that I.V......

Hi, Bettywetty,

I've been on both sides of the nurse-patient relationship, and IV starts hurt me, too. I sympathize with your problem here, and I'm glad you are pro-active. You have to watch out for yourself, and I understand that.

These days, nurses are leaving the profession in herds, and they're not being replaced by new nurses. Nursing school applications are lower than ever before. There are now many more former nurses than actively practicing nurses. I left nursing, after 20 years, because it's the most overworked, underpaid, unappreciated profession around. In a recent survey of RN's, over 50% of all nurses plan to leave the profession in the next 5 years. Who will take care of the patients then? Good question. Someone less educated, and far less experienced, obviously. The average nurse is 47 years old, and won't be working as a nurse in 5 years.

Anyway, I'm praying that you and the other ladies-in-waiting have uneventful surgeries and recoveries. I also pray that you find caring, professional nurses waiting to care for you.

Sincerely,
princessh
Unread 01-16-2002, 03:31 PM
About that I.V......

My IV was in for 1 day (TAH BSO). The nurse that was prepping me before the surgery asked if I had had problems with IV's before. When I said that I had (stuck three times; felt like she was digging for bone marrow) and that I had 8 cycles of chemotherapy in that arm, she had the nurse anesthetist do it. He gave me a shot of lidocaine (it really was just a little prick) and I didn't feel it at all and he got it done on the first try. You might try asking if there is a nurse anesthetist available to start your IV.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register