Hi... new here... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi... new here... Hi... new here...

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Hi... new here...

Hello all... where to begin...

I am in the deciding stages of whether I should get a hysterectomy or not. My dr believes that with the amount of pain that I suffer from on a constant basis, it would be the best way to go, I have to admit that anything that would take this pain away would be lovely.

A little history... I have been dealing with pain and extremely heavy, long periods for the last 4 years, the pain mostly started after my tubal ligation. I had an endometrial ablation on October 16, 2001 to try and help the bleeding, unfortunately, it did not work. I have also tried pain killers, the pill and pretty much anything else that the dr suggested to control both the pain and the bleeding, with no success...

I have been doing a whole bunch of research on the internet to find out if this is the way to go...

I have an appt on the 31st with my gyn to bombard him with questions (his idea) and I really need some ideas of things to ask him before I have the hysterectomy.... any ideas.

Look forward to chatting with all of you.

Deanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi... new here...

Hey Lynn! I'm so happy to meet you and glad you found Hystersisters. Having a hysterectomy is not an easy decision. It's pretty intimidating in the beginning. As you research it and spend time here with all of these wonderful ladies I think it may become a little less daunting. There is an OPTIONS AND ALTERNATIVES message board that I think would be worth your while visiting. Also these Helpful Links:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372

And Pre-Op Hints:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

This is a decision only you can make. You may even want to get a second opinion. Once you have researched everything you'll be able to confidently make your decision and it will be the right one for YOU. Whatever you decide we will be here for you every step of the way!

s

Sherry
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi... new here...

Hi Deanne!

Welcome to Hystersisters!! So glad you have found us!

Questions to ask? I might ask more about my condition - specific diagnosis. I would want a name for my condition before I had MAJOR surgery just because the DR said it MIGHT rid me of my pain.

If not hysterectomy, then what other options are there for you to consider? (you may have already had this discussion, since you have already tried some of the alternatives) And I agree with Miss Emma that there is some great insight and support going on in the Options and Alternatives forum!

If hysterectomy, I might ask what exactly is the recommended procedure for you - i.e., TVH (total vaginal hysterectomy) or TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) and WHY...

Ask if the ovaries can be kept. (this is something the DR may not know until surgery reveals the condition of your ovaries)

Ask if there is any other repair work (anterior?) (posterior?) anticipated?

If you are not satisfied with the answers, or you don't get answers, you might consider seeking additional opinions. Hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery, not something to 'try' in hopes of relieving your pain.

Best of luck - I know you will find the information you need in order to make an educated decision that will be best for you and your health.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register