Pre-Surgery Jitter's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Surgery Jitter's Pre-Surgery Jitter's

Unread 01-15-2002, 11:18 PM
Pre-Surgery Jitter's

Hi Everyone!

My tale of Woe

I want to thank all the sisters on this board, for all the help and information I have found here. I just found this sight through a link on AOL. I am scheduled for a TAH-BSO and Bladder Sling on 1-23-02.

Here's a bit of my history:

I have had nothing but problems in the female department for many years, Starting with my second child (I'm 41 now)

I had to have a cerclauge(?) in order to carry him to term, due to an incompentent cervix, then I missed term by 3 weeks resulting in a LBW baby.

After that I started having irregular periods, with and wo/pain, DX, Fibroids, polyps, cysts and had multiple miscarriages. I was told in 1991 and again in 1994 that I should have a hystorectomy, but at the time I just couldn't go through with it.

I had never had any problems in the urinary department or pain with intercourse until just recently. I have found myself going to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so, and heaven forbid if I have to cough or sneeze before I get there! Sex has been a big problem lately, as I feel a loss of libido and a general numbness in those regions, I have also had severe, sharp shooting pain during intercourse when ever I was pre/post period.

Went to the doctor last week and he told me that my uterous was prolapsed, and after I told him all the other problems I had been having he recommended TAH-BSO and Bladder Sling(?)

Ever since then I have felt like I am about to fall apart, I feel like my emotions are a rollercoaster. I rotate between, wanting to run like hell, scream and yell, or just break down and cry.

There was so many questions that I needed answers to, I want to say, that after finding this site and reading all the posts, My fear of this surgery has almost evaporated. Every question, every fear, everyTHING has been addressed here, I want to thank you all for contributing to the posts and for providing such a warm and caring enviornment.

Love to all

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Pre-Surgery Jitter's

Cheryl, I can sure relate to what you're feeling. You worded it so well:

"Ever since then I have felt like I am about to fall apart, I feel like my emotions are a rollercoaster. I rotate between, wanting to run like hell, scream and yell, or just break down and cry....After finding this site and reading all the posts, My fear of this surgery has almost evaporated. Every question, every fear, everyTHING has been addressed here..."

YES! My fear has dropped to a MUCH lower level too, as a result of finding this site, reading the posts, and getting so much information and support. You have also contributed to providing such a warm and caring enviornment. By sharing how you felt, I (and others, I'm sure) feel less alone because I/we feel similarly. Thank you very much.

You have some time to read more, reply when it feels right, and ask questions. I wish you well.

s
Unread 01-16-2002, 12:26 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Cheryl! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site for support and comfort and info! Hugs to you! It is scary to think of going through a major surgery, especially such a personal one as a hyst, but I think you will feel so much better after you're into recovery. I know I am much healthier now and HysterSisters sure made my surgery experience and recovery much calmer. It really helps to know what to expect and to know so many other women have come through it so well. Susan is right--read all you can here and you even can go up to the top of the page to "search" and look for pages with threads on subjects of concern to you. Feel free to post questions and we'll go with you all the way. Best wishes!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Pre-Surgery Jitter's

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and best wishes!

Big to all of you!

My pre-op in on the 18th, I hope all goes well with it. I have made a list of questions to take with me to the appointment,

I will unfortunately be on my period when the surgery is done, and I was wondering if anyone knew if the surgical menopause symptoms were worse after the surgery because of the "Timing" so to speak?

When can I expect these symptoms to start post-surgery?

If you are already perimenopausal pre-surgery, do you think they will stay about the same or get much worse????

Cheryl
Unread 01-16-2002, 01:17 PM
surgical menopause

Hi, Cheryl! Will you be keeping your ovaries or not? You won't go through surgical menopause unless they are removed. That's one think you'll have to discuss with your dr. If you're only 41, you would have about 10 years or so until natural menopause. I don't think there's any difference when during your cycle you have a hyst If you have a BSO, you could have menopausal symptoms right away (hot flashes, insomnia, moodiness, etc.), but your dr probably would give you HRT in the hospital to prevent that (unless there is a contraindication like endometriosis, cancer, etc.) Sometimes the blood flow to the ovaries is interrrupted during surgery, and the trauma can cause ovaries to stop producing as much hormones as normal for awile, even if they are left in, so you could have some of the symptoms of menopause until they kick in again. You can "search" for the discussions about keeping ovaries in past threads--there's a lot! Take care.
Ruthie
Unread 01-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Pre-Surgery Jitter's

Hi Ruthie

The dr leav't it up to me as to keeping the left ovary, I have a large cyst on the right one now which will be removed. I choose to have him go ahead and remove the other to, because of the severe, shooting pain I get prior to my period/during/after.

I hope I made the right decision?

Cheryl
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:01 AM
the ovary question

Cheryl, you could have your dr make the final decision during surgery when he can visually examine your ovaries and see if they look healthy. You have to decide also whether you want to take HRT long-term to prevent osteoporosis, thinning vaginal tissues, and help protect against heart disease (possibly alzheimers as well). Researchers now think we can take HRT indefinitely, but they're doing long-term studies on that now. There is a chance long-term estrogen can increase the risk of breast cancer, but again researchers think it really is the woman's genetics that cause cancer, and not specifically the HRT. This is a very controversial subject, and many women think you should not remove ovaries unless they are very diseased or if you are at risk for ovarian cancer, especially if you are not close to menopause. Sometimes there is difficulty in finding the exact type and dosage of HRT that makes you feel best, and the ladies in the Hormone Jungle can tell you about that. So continue to read and research, and talk to your dr about pros and cons of keeping your ovaries. Good luck in making your decision! s
Ruthie
Unread 01-17-2002, 04:03 AM
Hey Kittycat

We share the same surgery date. I have a lot of the same problems you do. I am scared and worried about surgery too. But I will be so glad to be rid of the pain, the heavy periods and clotting, and severe pain in pelvis. Like you I hurt during sex so hubby don't get it much and he wants me fixed too. I will keep you in my prayers through all of this. And we will survive and have a better life afterwards.

Littlebear
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:23 AM
Pre-Surgery Jitter's

My surgery date is 1-30-02 and I have to say that I can not wait!
It appears that that is the only benefit of my job - I hate it so bad that I can't wait to be out for six weeks!
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone!

:Hug:

Ruthie, I talked to my dr's nurse today, and she did suggest allowing the doctor to make that decision (Leave the ovary) Thanks for your suggestion. The only thing I'm afraid of is "ovarian failure" or cysts later on, I sure don't want to have to go through another surgery when this is over......

I have a pre-op appt tomorrow so I guess I can discuss everything in more detail then.

Littlebear, I to am scared. I've been trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of all this, I keep asking myself over and over again, if I want to go through with it. I know its for the best, and I know that all the female problems will end, but the prospect of being laid up, and on HRT for the rest of my life is not very appealing either. Take care, our prayers are with you.

Jokev, LOL you go girl!

s and best wishes to all!

Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register