Need Progesterone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Progesterone? Need Progesterone?

Unread 01-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Need Progesterone?

Hi everybody,

I had a TAH/BSO on November 30, 2001 and did very well for the first month after surgery. The doc put me on the Climara patch a couple of days after the surgery and I've been using it ever since. The last time I saw her, I wasn't having any problems and saw no need to change my HRT. But now I feel pretty depressed, and I am wondering if I need to have the patch that has estrogen and progesterone combined. The doc said that if I had pain, it was an indication that I needed progesterone. Does anybody know where the pain would be? I thought it would be obvious... I am delaying calling the doctor, perhaps needlessly. I have had enough medical stuff and just want to be back to normal! I do take antidepressants--they just don't seem to be doing the trick.

Also, how do you know if you need testosterone? I saw the article from one Hystersister about how she felt like her emotions were blunted (she said she could be happy but not feel happy), and I identified. She said that testosterone helped her feel better. I've had a problem with feeling "detached" for years.

I guess I'm looking for more info so I can feel better informed when I do talk to the doc. This is a wonderful resource and I have been so grateful I found it!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Need Progesterone?

Try the book 'Natural Hormone Balance for Women' by Dr. Uzzi Reiss. It has lots of info about hormones, and addresses some of the psychological/emotional issues.
See what your doc has to say. If you are fortunate he'll agree to let you try some things. If he hard-lines you, and you *know* you aren't feeling right, it might be time to talk with your feet and find someone who is willing to help.
Best wishes,
Susan
Unread 01-16-2002, 04:35 PM
Need Progesterone?

Why did you have the hyst? I'm curious why your doc said "if you're having pain you need the combi-patch" I would call the doctor and ask for some clarification on that.

There is not a patch, that I know of, that contains *progesterone* and estrogen. There is a patch that contains *progesterin* and estrogen. Progesterin and progesterone are 2 different animals. Progesterin is synthetic and progesterone is bio-identical. There is a big difference. You can read more about these here www.hormonejungle.com/progesterone.php and www.hormonejungle.com/progest.php

In addition there's alot of good information in the pull down menus at www.hormonejungle.com

The book that Susan recommends is most excellent. I highly recommend it. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it is by far the best one I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Progesterone

I had the hyst because of severe endo and blood-filled ovarian cysts. I don't understand what the doc said about pain either. Thanks for pointing out the difference between progesterone and progesterin. I did look at the pull down menus on the site but couldn't find anything about pain. Looks like I'll have to do some more research... Thanks for the links and book recommendations.
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Howdy! Unfortunately, I'm the endo expert around here...

From experience anyway. Just a little about me:

I have had endo for more than 20 years. I've had 10 surgeries to "remove endo" and finally the last one a TAH/BSO. I've been on lupron, depo provera, zoladex, synaryl, danocrine, and a bunch of other stuff including continuous bcp's.

What your doctor is referring to - as far as pain goes - is endometriosis. The endo doesn't go away unless it is surgically removed.

If you had a particularly bad case of endometriosis (as I did) they may not be able to feasibly remove all of the endometriosis during surgery. Mine, for example, was on my bladder, ureters, and everywhere else in the pelvic cavity including on the peritoneum (covering that keeps your insides from creeping out).

Don't panic. This does not mean that you're doomed to suffer the rest of your life necessarily. There's ways of handling it -- and progesterone is one of them.

Again, don't panic. Just inform yourself, talk to your doctor, and use all the options at your disposal. For many women, progesterone, and testosterone is the key. It's just finding the right levels.

Good luck, and Godspeed.

Anj

PS For those who REALLY want to know alot about endo:

Big Fat Endo Link
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Thank you!

Angie,
Thanks so much for the information and the links! I understand better what to watch for. The doc did indicate that the endo was throughout my abdomen, so it's good to know that progesterone is helful in treating it! Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register