not sure what to think | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not sure what to think not sure what to think

Unread 01-16-2002, 03:23 PM
not sure what to think

Hi, I had my appointment with the oncologist Tuesday and he said that he could not feel a mass on my ovary and felt that it was really nothing to worry about. Said that he found signs of an infection which could be causing my discharge and gave me a prescription for birth control pills to help with the ovarian cysts.

He scheduled me for another ultrasound and a CA125, which I had today. I had the ultrasound done at the cancer center because the doc wanted someone else to do the test, thinking maybe the complex area was really not there. The tech I had today was great, she showed me the screen and pointed out the cysts and the complex area that was definitely there. When I told her that he said it was probably nothing to worry about, her comment was "oh really" . Now that sends shivers of doubt all through me.

I'm not sure that I feel much better now than I did before. Hopefully the results of my tests today will clear this up for me. I still think I just want the ovary out.

janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2002, 04:17 PM
not sure what to think

Hi Janet. You'll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the results of the tests are good and will ease your mind.

Do you ever wonder if the techs, who actually look at these things every day, may actually be smarter than some of the doctors, though? When I had my ultrasound a couple of weeks ago, the tech called my GP while I was still in the imaging center to give him a preliminary report. He then asked to speak to me on the phone. He seemed quite concerned about the possibility of cancer at that time and was going to get my GYN appt. moved up. But, after he and the GYN saw the radiologist's report, in which the complex cyst was downplayed, the tune changed. I just wonder if they realize how much stress they're causing us by bringing up these possibilities and then leaving us with no answers.

Anyway, good luck and keep in touch.
Unread 01-16-2002, 05:10 PM
not sure what to think

Hi Janet,
This sounds like its good news, but you seem a bit uncertain. And if it were me, and I was feeling unsure about things, I would get another oncologist to examine me, and do some testing as well. You are the one who needs peace of mind with this, and if that means getting another opinion, or even 2, than you are entitled to do that.

He does sound like a good doctor in that he wanted someone else to do the testing this time, so that is kind of like a second opinion I guess, but absolutely, keep going with this until you feel you can relax and not worry.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for good test results, and perhaps those will help you to feel better about things, but if you don't , then don't leave it at this, or you will drive yourself crazy wondering. Keep us posted on the test results!!
Hugs
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 04:57 AM
not sure what to think

I wish you the best of luck on your results! Keep this in mind...if you are not satisfied with your doctor's "nothing to worry about" attitude, then by all means get yourself a second opinion! There is nothing at all wrong with getting another doctor's opinion and I'm sure that it would really ease your mind!! Keep us posted!
Unread 01-17-2002, 08:32 AM
not sure what to think

Hi Janet, giving a big in this stressful time. I agree with the others.......... if you are still feeling uneasy get another opinion. Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon x x
Unread 01-17-2002, 02:25 PM
not sure what to think

thanks for all of your posts.

the doctor told me that he would be very concerned if the complex area was 8cm instead of the 1cm that mine is. He said that is very small, but I'm thinking that a 1cm area of something that is only 3cm to begin with is a lot. and doesn't the cancer have to start somewhere, or does it just appear as a very large growth.

Anybody have any ideas on that? Now that I've had my appointment, I have come up with a LOT of questions that I didn't have when I went into the appointment.

louboo

just wondering if you ever got any resolution on your test???
Unread 01-17-2002, 03:20 PM
not sure what to think

Hi Janet. I had exactly the same question as you - cancer has to start somewhere, so why not get it while it's small. I saw my doctor today, and he answered some of the questions I had - maybe some of yours, too. He said the reason they don't worry about these small complex cysts is that they usually haven't become cancerous at that size, and if they have, they're still very confined to the ovary only. Standard practice is to look at the cyst again after 4-6 weeks, and then maybe even a third ultrasound if necessary. If the cyst grows, it needs to come out, though that still doesn't mean it's cancer. It could be a dermoid cyst or other type of benign cyst. If it goes away, it was most likely a normal corpus luteum cyst that had some blood in it and didn't go away as quickly as they usually do. He said they were usually able to catch cancer very early that way, while still avoiding unnecessary surgery.

Since I still have to have the TAH/BSO because of fibroids and severe endometriosis, I'll be interested to see what the pathology report says about that ovary, though. The dr's office is supposed to call with my surgery date tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.
Unread 01-18-2002, 08:43 PM
not sure what to think

{{Janet}}

I wanted to send you some 's and prayers and hope your test results come back with good news for you.

I can certainly understand how this would be so confusing and hope they'll be able to give you more definative answers and soon.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 01-19-2002, 04:49 PM
not sure what to think

I got a call back from the cancer center Friday, and the doctor wants to see me again this Tuesday to discuss my options. My CA125 came back at 9, but my ultrasound showed cystic and solid masses on my ovary. The nurse mentioned removing the ovary and I was very relieved to hear that. Hopefully this will all be over within the next few weeks.

It seems that this is all that I can think about, and I hate to keep going over and over it with my husband and family. This is a great place to come and obsess over it. You are all wonderful. Thank you all again for your words of encouragement and support.

janet
Unread 01-19-2002, 05:04 PM
not sure what to think

Hi Janet,
Glad to hear they got back to you this quickly.
Best of luck with your appointment on Tuesday.

Its only natural that this is occupying your thoughts right now, but like you say perhaps within a couple weeks, you will be able to put this all behind you and get back to a life free of worry.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!
Hugs
Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register