less than a week to go and I'm new here! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

less than a week to go and I'm new here! less than a week to go and I'm new here!

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:11 AM
less than a week to go and I'm new here!

Ohmigosh! I got scheduled for an emergency hysterectomy, and that was only three days ago--not much time to prepare! Surgery is Jan. 22--less than a week away. I'm really scared because I've only had one other surgery that I can remember where they put me to sleep, and I just am terrified of that part. I also know nothing about what to expect in terms of pain afterwards, the length of the hospital stay, etc. If anyone is awake out there (it's really early out here on the west coast), maybe you could say something helpful?
thankyou
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:27 AM

Elizabeth,
Welcome Too Hystersisters.. Also I want you too know that there's plenty of support here. Take a deep breath.. May I ask what type of hysterectomy are you having done? Did your doctor explain too you the procedure in what he/she will be doing? Also you will be put to sleep, and there will be some discomfort after the surgery, but of course everyone tolerates pain differntly. Make sure that the doctor prescribes you pain medication before the surgery so when you arrive home you'll have them. Also it's important that you have support at home, because you will not be able to do any housework, lifting, etc.. Begin to pack your bag for the hospital. Here on the site, look on the pull down menu and there's plenty of ideas/suggestions that will assist you through that process. Also feel free to join in the chatroom, the women are very supportive, they truly helped me when I was in the process of going through the preparations of having my surgery. I hope this has been helpful too you. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, post, and email me privately if you wish and I'll be more than happy to help where I can. Take care of yourself and please keep me posted on how you're doing.
s

[email protected]
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:35 AM
reply to "sweet Ocean Blue"

You asked what type of hysterectomy I was having done, and since this has all happened so suddenly, all I can tell you is that it's not lap assisted, nor is it vaginal due to an extremely distended left hydrosalpinx. So I can only think of it as the "big cut" method. I'll be keeping one ovary if at all possible, and since reading all these posts, I've learned that keeping the cervix is a possibility also--I'll have to check into that since there have been no cervical abnormalities such as suspicious pap smears, etc. thank you for your quick response, and thank goodness I found this website!
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:53 AM

Elizabeth,
I'm also happy that you found this site too. Just know that the sisters here are very loving & supportive. I shall keep you in my prayers. Pamper yourself before you go too the hospital, you deserve that. Also don't hesitate to email me if you have any concerns and or questions. Have A Lovely Day!

[email protected]
Unread 01-17-2002, 07:57 AM

Follow these links for tons more info on this site

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

Princess Stories Articles

WARNING!! Prepare to become addicted to this site!![/i]
Unread 01-17-2002, 08:29 AM
TAH

hello there Elizabethann

I am 1 day short of 4 weeks post-op. Still fresh in the recovery.

Sinse it sounds like you are having an abdominal hyster. I had a TAH = total abdominal hysterectomy.w/a horizontal incission (bikini cut) I kept my overies. I am 35 years old and went threw 4-5 years of a lot of pain and period issues. The list goes one.
Waiting for my surgery was the worst part i feel. I also had only one week from my last appointment till my surgery. Once I got to the hospital, I felt a sense of calmness.
After the surgery. I was very drowsy and remember very little for a few hours. Fleeting moments of having questions asked such as pain levels etc. By the time i was taken to my room I was out on a demerol pump. If you have no alergies to codine please make sure you get morphine. Demerol is natorious for making people sick to they're tummys with in a few hours. Ask your Dr of course about this. I really do not remember a whole lot of pain till the day after when i went on oral meds and was gotten up to walk. pulling yourself up is prolly the hardest part of getting up. I felt like a turlte flipped onto there back LOL. Pain management was controlled very well. Walking at first was tough. But use your tummy pillow, It helps a lot.
The bigest issues i had and seems a lot of us have had are gas, bowels, & bladder. Bladder spasms once the cath is removed. I had a bladder suspension so my bladder is even still tender but much better every day. The gas and constipation lasted the first week for me, then calmed down. A lot of over the counter gas meds are approved. Ask your Dr of course. Also Drink water, LOTS of water. It helps a lot. Short walks keep the bowels active. Taking stool softeners is also a great help. Another (ask Dr first)
As for the incission. I never had staples, stitches etc.. I had steri Strips which I was able to peal off myself with in a week or so. Was painless and easy to do. My incission was sore and tender for about a week. After that, i could walk with out a tummy pillow. You will notice every day is a little bit better than the day before. Just be sure to follow your post-op home instructions. Do not over do it and take good care of yourself.

I am not sure if i helped and i know i went on a bit here. Always take care and be well
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:32 AM

Shell, I have a question. What exactly is a tummy pillow? My surgery is in two weeks and I want to b prepared too! Is it just a pillow you carry with you, a bed-sized pillow or a smaller square one?

Thanks for all the information you gave Elizabeth, it helps all of us LIWs.
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:02 AM
Hang in there!!!

Hi Elizabethann

I'm sure you are in shock right now with everything moving at lightening speed but rest assured you are in the right place! I am not sure which is better but I have about six weeks until my surgery due to my doctors schedule so I am reading and fretting already.

You really will get so much information here. The lists of what you might need at the castle and once you are back home are most helpful. I spent one evening out by myself (big thing with five kids) just starting to stock up on things for my surgery.

Good luck to you! Here's a little to help get you through today. Before you know it you'll be coming back here and telling all of us ladies in waiting all about your experience!

Saying for a safe and quick surgery and recovery!
Unread 01-17-2002, 10:07 AM

Debbie, a tummy pillow could be any pillow you want.

As for me, the hospital encouraged me to use a tummy pillow to protect my abdomen as I was recovering. The tummy pillow was helpful for tummy support when I coughed or sneezed.

When I was at the hospital, I got as many pillows as I wanted. I also sat on a high-backed chair with pillows on the seat and back and on my tummy. I also slept with a pillow over my incision. Coming home, I continued to carry the pillow around as I was lounging or resting to provide tummy support as necessary.

Liz, I am about two hours from Tillamook. Want to tell us what hospital you're having the surgery? I had mine done at OHSU (then Oregon Health Sciences University, now Oregon Health & Science University) in Portland last year (long before the nurses' strike!). Some of our Oregon Coast HS's went to Portland, Salem, or Eugene for theirs. One LIW from near Newport had hers in Portland.
Unread 01-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Tummy Pillow

It seems the tummy pillow question has been covered for you To add to it. Its whatever pillow u want. Make sure it is easy to carry and maybe a little bit firm. While walking you will need it to support your tummy.

Ask me anything you like. If i am able to answer or find out. I am happy to help

Always take care and be well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register