It Feels Like My Skin Is Burning Off! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It Feels Like My Skin Is Burning Off! It Feels Like My Skin Is Burning Off!

Unread 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
It Feels Like My Skin Is Burning Off!

I'm 6 weeks post-op.
I started having hot flashes when I was 21. The night sweats, the soggy sheets, and the begging my husband to "open the window quick and turn on the fan and fill the hot water bottle with ice water!"

But after my hyst, the hot flashes have changed some. Now I wake up at night with my skin hurting and itching like a severe sunburn. Then my whole body flushes red (like a sunburn!). It takes about an hour from start to finish. I don't sweat, I just get red and hot. The hot flash usually starts at my hands and then my neck, arms, and torso and then my legs. And it doesn't just happen at night although that is usually when it happens.

It really is quite terrible because it hurts and itches.
I'm still so glad I had the hyst. I was just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Re: It Feels Like My Skin Is Burning Off!

I wonder if you could have rosacea. It sounds a little like what I get and that is rosacea. I know that I get really red when it happens. Not sure if that is it at all. But an idea
Unread 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Sounds similar to my experience....about 7 weeks post-op I too began a thread asking for any advice in regards to my burning itch..turns out another hystersister had the same thing.

She told me hers was due to the Anesthesia from the surgery !!! I don't know exactly if that is what had caused my "mad itch" but can tell you it did go away thank God! Took about 2-3 weeks...hope yours does too.

Dianar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM

I just went through a year of tests with different doctors for a burning itch on my face, chest, upper back, and arms. It was excruciating, and difficult to diagnose, apparently. One of the patches became infected at one point and was extremely painful. At first, they thought it was shingles, then maybe hives, then rosacea, then allergies, then stress. We finally came to the conclusion that it was a combination of hormones (my ob-gyn took me off bioidentical hormone therapy since I'm over 60 and it could cause a stroke), environmental allergy (I teach in a school that is rarely cleaned and the roof leaks), and stress (I teach 7th grade). I had allergy patch tests and two skin biopsies to come up with all of that. Now that summer is here, I'm better and haven't had a breakout, so the stress is probably a large factor. I keep hydrated, do yoga, walk my dogs, and moisturize with hypoallergenic products all the time.
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Mizbrowne- exactly when did your burning itch begin?? Did anything make it worst? Did u take anything to treat the 'correct diagnosis'?

I only ask this because THIS was my mothers worst symptom of natural menopause. She's extremely naive and to this day believes it was "bugs" burrowed on her skin that suddenly disappeared years later. Doctors examined her skin over and over to no evidence. She tried everything holistic and then tried everything from narcotics, antibiotics, steroid creams. NO relief for FIVE YEARS!She even convinced my father to move out of that house (she thought the 'bugs' were in the carpet).

So they moved and yet the burning itch was still there. We all thought she was crazy, I was the only one to somewhat believe in her and did my own research for her recently but when I brought up the menopause thing she said absurd! And said plus it's gone now! What??! Wow.

I still believe it was her hormones and fear this for me. I only have one ovary left and is endangered to be removed.

Diana R
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM

I'm pretty sure my 'burning' is due to surgical menopause. I guess sometimes the ovaries can go into shock after the hysterectomy because of all of the trauma to that area.
My family members go into menopause rather early in life.
Usually around 35 or 40 years old. I'm 35 now so I probably only have a few more years of menopause anyway.

Last night I woke up with the "fire skin" but realized I was too tired to care. I threw the sheets off and rolled over and went back to sleep. Yeah, it still hurt but it's amazing what we can get use to.
(Any of you that went through years of period pain can vouch for that.)

So, I guess I'm stuck with it for now.
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Well, Diane, I think you're right that it's not bugs! My doctor gave me hydrocortisone and Protopic lotion which really help. I also had a prescription for a pill for the itching, but I can't remember what it was. It made me really sleepy and I could only take it at night. I with I could go back on hormone therapy, but I can't because of my age, so I have to stick with the topical lotions, and try to stay healthy. Stress relief is really important, especially if hormone treatment isn't an option, I think.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM

So glad to read others have this too. Had uterus and ovaries removed 7 weeks ago and a followup hernia operation 3 weeks ago. Both under a general anesthesia, wonder if that contributes at all. The fire skin only happens when I first wake up every morning, starting a week ago. It only lasts a few minutes but it's pretty painful. I've never had any medical issues prior so I know it's either the hormone sudden drop or the surgeries. I look forward to getting past this part!
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Thanks for posting, SecondroundRed.
Well, I am just over a year post op from my hyst. I only get the hot flashes every once in a while now. And I think it has been probably 4 months since the last 'fire skin'. That is such a relief. Make sure to talk to your doctor if it continues. Hang in there. It doesn't last forever.
Unread 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the cheer! With some late nights that I've been working, it seems to be related to the caffeine and possible extra bad when I do the 5 hour energy stuff that has Niacin in it. Luckily it doesn't follow me during the day but I usually only run for the caffeine at night so the pattern is there.

Maybe retirement is the answer!!
Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register