why don't people understand? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why don't people understand? why don't people understand?

Unread 01-17-2002, 11:08 AM
why don't people understand?

I was talking to my best friend (who also has had a hysterectomy) about my depression and the aygestin. I was discussing the options I wanted to talk to my dr about on Monday (going off aygestin, antidepressants, other options) and she informed me that as "Christians" she didn't think we should ever take antidepressants! Then I get in a huge fight with DH because he yelled at me for saying I felt my friend was condemning me for considering antidepresants. All I want to do is get away from everyone and cry....any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 11:23 AM

What does being a Christian have to do with taking antidepressants? For some people, antidepressants are as important to them as heart medications are to others. Don't waste your breath talking to people who just don't get it.

Talk to your doctor. If he feels antidepressants can help you get through a tough time in your life, so be it. Don't discuss it with your friend.....it will only upset you.

I hope you feel better soon. (BTW, a good cry can be very therapeutic....I've been there.)
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:32 AM

{{{{Husker}}}}

I'm really sorry that you had this experience. I'm a committed Christian and an active member of my church, but it it certainly not unheard of for Christians to need medications for depression...I know several who truly trust the Lord, but also trust the Lord to provide relief from that illness through medicine. I'm sure your friend would agree that if she was hormonally imbalanced, she should seek medical treatment as well.

There is a misperception among some Christians that if we have the Lord, then we should never feel depressed, but that's simply not reality. Many figures in the Bible who were mightily used of God had periods of depression. Read some of the Psalms that David wrote where he's just pouring his heart out...and he's pretty "down", I might add.

I encourage you at this point to have some quality time with God alone to heal your heart from these hurts, and thank Him for providing Drs with the knowledge to help those with depression. Remember, He knows your heart is in the right place, and you really can't control the feelings of others, so you'll have to turn that part of it over to Him. Then concentrate on getting yourself better. Pray that the Lord will give your Dr. wisdom to get the "right fit" for you and go with what he suggests on Monday.

Though your friend is misinformed (in my opinion), I'm sure she really wants you to feel better!

s

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 11:43 AM

Husker,

Music Lady said it beautifully and I certainly can't improve on that. Just wanted to add that you are in my prayers and I wish you peace. (I also agree with Catherine - a good cry is very healthy and theraputic!)

Hugs,
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:44 AM
what is right for you

It's just my opinion. But being a christian should have nothing to do with needing medical helpw/your physical and mental well being. God created us, there for created our intelligence as well. Drs. and reaserchers of modern medicine are given the knowledge to do these miraculous break throughs to help us all live healthy mental and physical lives.

God bless. Trust your instincts. God gave us those to
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:10 PM
Husker- Aygestin

Hi,
I was just wondering why are you taking Aygestin after you had you TAH/BSO? I though we did not have to deal with that drug once the uterus was removed. Maybe I am confused. Does anyone out there know why?

Deb
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:24 PM

All I know is that I can't take estrogen for 3 to 6 months due to endo and aygestin is what the doc put me on.
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:29 PM

I have been taking anti-depressants for the past 8 years. I have weened myself off of them three different times in the first 5 years because people made me feel like I should. Each time, in a short period of time, I felt sad, misunderstood and was very reclusive. On the medication, I am upbeat, my faith in God is sufficient to get me through the tough times and I am a very happy person. I truly believe that my body does not make the proper chemicals that prevent depression. Just like a diabetic needs insulin or a women in menopause needs hormones. I do believe that God takes care of our every need, He provided me with Paxil! I too have not felt like others understood so I just keep it to myself unless I feel the need to share it with someone else who is experiencing depression.
Trust yourself, your Dr. and The Lord.
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:45 PM

I am so sorry that your friend feels that Christians should not ever be depressed. Just look through the Bible and you'll find many exaamples of deoressed individuals. The Psalms definitely sound like the were written during depressive episodes. There are 3 different types of depression that I am aware of which are physiological, emotional, and spiritual . Although prayer ministry and traditional therapy often help emotional and spiritual depression, often medication is necessary for physiological depression. Two good books that have helped me are Damaged Emotions by Davis Seamands and Lord I Want to Be Whole. Both books have helped me during depression . I had been off antidepressants for around months when I had my TAH/BSO. Within two weeks I had to call my doctor because tears came that wouldn't stop. My doctor's office and I decided it was best to go back on the antidepressants until after I am well recovered from the surgery and hormonal roller coaster with the loss of my ovaries. I felt so much better being on the antideppressants and I will attempt to come off of them when I am ready.
I believe your friend has the wrong ideas about what a Christian is. I hope this helps. I will pray for you.
Unread 01-17-2002, 12:48 PM

I am so sorry that you are feeling bad and that you are having a hard time with people understanding. Depression is so misunderstood. I am blessed with a Father-in-law who is a psychiatrist AND a very strong Christian. I am a Christian, as well, and I have been on Prozac for years. I feel that I must take responsibility to do what is the best for me, and taking antidepressants is what I need to do.

Do you have someone at your church that you could talk to? I pray that your church does not espouse the views of your friend (and potentially your husband?). You need to be held up right now and supported. I will keep you in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register