Catscan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:08 AM
Catscan

Hi:
I recently had a cold knife cone biopsy last Nov. and this wonderful group was very helpful with the experience.
When I had the ckc I had a preop chest xray. Now, 2 mos. later, the nurse calls to tell me there there is a vague undefined mass in the lower left lung. Mon. I had another xray and the mass is still there. Now I have to get a catscan. What could this be? Could someone please tell me what having a catscan is like?
I'm trying not to jump the gun but I'm getting frightened. My husband was very upset that they sat on this for 2 mos.
Please, any support, advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gayle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Catscan

Hi Gayle,
I am so sorry to hear this news. I too would be questioning why the the 2 month delay. Perhaps they feel its not something to worry about, but they want to check it further just to keep an eye on it. If you haven't been talking to the doctor, perhaps a call to him/her will ease your mind about why the delay in this.

A CT scan machine is a really good piece of equipment. I had one, and lots of us here have had them. There are different approaches to doing them I think, but for me, I had a bottle of something I had to drink the morning of the test, then when I got to the hospital I had a juice box with something in it a well. I don't know exactly what these drinks are for but they have a solution in them which is part of the test). Then they started an IV and then I went into the room with the machine. Its was not uncomfortable at all, and its just a huge xray machine which moves over the area they are checking. Mine went from the shoulders to about mid thigh. The radiologist is in another room, and the nurse also leaves while the test is being done. The machine does all the work. I just laid there. At one point I seem to recall they asked me to hold my breath for a count of 5 or 8 I think. Sorry...its a little vague as it was 15 months ago now. But that was my experience with it. If I recall I was able to wear my clothing for this as well, but I think they asked that I not wear anything with belts or zippers, but I may be confusing that with my bone desity test, so hopefully someone else will correct me on this if I am mistaken.

This test gives them a 3-D look at whatever organs they are looking at. If you check www.webmd.com I am sure they would have a really good explaination of this as well.

Best of luck Gayle, and please keep us posted. I will keep you in my prayers that this is nothing serious.
Big hugs to you.
Maria
Unread 01-17-2002, 01:11 PM
Catscan

Gayle,

The "mass" could be anything from nothing (old scar tissue) to something serious (tuberculosis, cancer, emphysema). Your doc can't possibly know for sure til they do more tests. He/she could probably tell you more about what it could be based on what the xray looks like and your personal medical history.

A CT scan is no big deal. When they were looking for ovarian cancer in me, I had a CT of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. It took about 20 minutes and you moved in and out of a large, not closed in tube. I had contrast (an IV solution) because of the pelvis. I don't know if they do it for the Chest.

When I was having my tests, I was such a nervous wreck that I had the doctor call for a "wet read" or a "stat read"which means they gave him the test results right away. I was always able to call the doc on my cell phone on the way home and get the test results.

With all you've been through you deserve concierge medical care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:43 PM
Catscan

Hi Gayle!

I'm so sorry you are having this added fear, I'm kind of confused as to why they would wait either.

I've also had a few scans done, one was specifically for the lung area. If I'm remembering correctly the only thing I had to have for that one was the IV contrast, I did do the drink thing along with it for the abdominal one I had done. Neither was uncomfortable or confining in the test itself.

I'm hoping everything will turn out to be nothing to worry about. Please keep us posted on how you're doing. There are many things that can cause these types of things to show up on Xray's, the scan will be able to give a much clearer picture.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 01-18-2002, 05:12 AM
Catscan

Maybe they waited to give this Mass time to change or disappear all together. You would be best to question your doctor on the wait.
I did want to send you some extra s and let you know that we are all here for you!!
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Catscan

s to you Gayle
This is incredulous!!! It sounds as though your doctor ordered pre operative
screening and then never bothered to check the results before your surgery.
I would definitely want to speak with him. Most likely it is nothing! But that clearly
should have been determined two months ago. And a nurse makes the call!!!
Cat scans are easy. No discomfort at all to the patient.
Please keep us updated on how this turns out.
Best wishes. oxoxoxkarenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register