Recovery Question: what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Question: what to expect Recovery Question: what to expect

Unread 01-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Recovery Question: what to expect

Hello, I am new to the Hyster Sister site and am so glad I found it. I really helped me know what to ask the doctor when discussing my options. I am scheduled to have a TAH on 1/29 for a regrowth of fibroids, adhesions/scarring and most likely adeno. I have had several other related major surgeries in the last few years. The first for a uterine rupture when I was 16 weeks pregnant and another 6 months later to repair damage and remove additional fibroids. They believe the rupture was caused by a degenerating fibroid, very unpleasant to say the least. The fibroids have reappeared and I am having lots of pain each month and so my gyn also expects to find adeno. Anywho, I have 2 questions for anyone who can help.

I have MS which was diagnosed after my last surgery. Does anyone have experience with how MS affects recovery time, etc?

Additionally, my husband will be traveling on business 10 days after my surgery, he will be gone for 6 days. I will have some friends checking on me and helping me out. Should I be ok alone or do I need to make arrangements for help? I really don't want to ask my parents to travel from out of state unless it is really necessary.

Any insight is most appreciated. I am sure you will hear more from me as the day draws near!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 06:34 PM

Hi Susan! Welcome to Hystersisters! Ouch! A uterine rupture sounds quite painful! I can't answer your question about recovery with MS, but I'm sure someone can.

As far as needing help at that point, I think you should be fine as long as you have someone checking in to see if you need anything. My husband was with me the first week, but then went back to work. He was with me in the evenings, but at that point I was able to move around o.k....just couldn't vacuum, lift, bend, push, etc. Just be sure he gets food in before he leaves and all your meds and things like that since you won't be able to drive at 10 days post-op. You should be able to prepare very easy meals...soup, microwavable dinners, etc. or have food delivered...whatever is easy and convenient. By that time, you will know how well you do showering, etc. Any problems with that, maybe get one of those shower stools or shower when your friends are there to help you in case you fall.

I hope this helps, Susan. Best wishes for your surgery and recovery! s

Sherry
Unread 01-17-2002, 06:43 PM

Hi, Susan and welcome!
I can't say on the MS, so I hope someone will be along shortly to answer that one.

As to the hubby out of town, ditto on Miss Emma's post. I was pretty much by myself by day 10, but I did have people calling to check on me. You may want to keep the phone with you in case you need help in the bath or on your short walks.

Also remember that your milk and juices should be in smaller, easy to manage sizes (gallons are too close to the 10 pound lift limit!). Another thought, ask your DH to make sure everything you will need is within easy reach - countertop high - as you probably still should not do much lifting or reaching.

Here's a thought...do you have a church family that could be asked to look in on you? Maybe a neighbor could check in on you from time to time.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Hugs,
-di
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Recovery

Hi Susan -

I am 1/29 too and am worrying about post-op. My DH is taking the week off after I come home, but I don't know what to expect after that. Today I went to the grocery and stored up on individually packaged juices, fruits, jello, pudding, plus soup and mac & cheese. I'm lucky to also have my Mom around the corner, which will help, especially with my DD.

Please get additional help if you can. Sherry had great advice....I too have no advice on the MD issue, but I'm sure that it's out there. My fibroids are killing me and I can't wait to be through this whole experience!! Keep in touch, since we'll be going through this together!

Janet

Unread 01-17-2002, 07:50 PM
1/29 my date too!

hello fellow 1/29er's
I also have fibroids and it is time! I had my hospital presurgical visit today---makes it feel all so real and close. Wednesday is my presurgical exam. My prayers are with all of the 1/29er's.
Peggy
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:39 PM

I'm also new to this site and scheduled for surgery on 1/29, my prayers will be will all my fellow sisters who will be undergoing this at the same time. My plans on trying to do a vaginal surgery if he can, all is coming out, he may end up having to do an abdominal incision though in order to take the ovaries, as one of mine is almost at my rib cage! He is also doing a burch procedure which involves a small abdomial incision.
My DH is taking a week off to help me, and then I'll be on my own as he works 12 hours a day, we recently moved overseas :usflag: so we don't have any close friends yet and no family within 10,000 miles!
I'm so happy I found this site, it has helped me with a lot of unanswered questions that I didn't think to ask.

Mizmanager, scheduled for 1/29
Unread 01-18-2002, 06:33 AM

Thanks to all of you, you are soooo encouraging

My next task will be convincing my parents they don't need to travel from Florida, that I will be fine. I just know they will want to come since my DH will be in Europe.

I do have a great neighbor and "the girls" from my bible study who will be checking on me everyday.

I will take the advice given and make sure I have everything in small packages and within reach. I think I will also make a couple of batches of soup and freeze them in individual containers.

Thanks so much for your support.

Susan

Unread 01-18-2002, 06:41 AM
1/29

is someone running a special on jan 29th? my surgery is that date also. everyone on this site has been so helpful and supportive, thank you!
Unread 01-18-2002, 09:38 AM
MS in relation to recovery time

Hi Susan,
I don't have MS, but I do have Lupus, which is also an auto immune disease. I am having my surgery on January 23rd and I too am concerned about how the Lupus will affect my recovery. I even asked mr DR. if he thought the Lupus had triggered the endometriosis. He thought that was a very interesting question and one that has some merit. With Lupus, your immune sysytem attacks your vital organs (kidneys, liver, heart, lungs, etc.) and tries to kill them off. I will let you know how I do when I get back from the castle. Good luck to you!
Unread 01-18-2002, 11:31 AM

Hi Susan,

I do not know how MS will affect recovery time. As you know MS affects each one of us differently. Yes I too have MS. I was diagnosed in Oct of 2001. I have been on Avonex now for 5 weeks. Are you on one of the ABC's?

I found it very interesting that you said that you were diagnosed after your last surgery. I have only had one surgery in my adult years and that was my hyst. I noticed some things that I found unusual like numbness in my left thigh from my knee up only in the front of my leg. Balance was worse, and fatigue.

If you go to http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/...tom138%2Fstart and ask your question you will get some responses there. It is a great support site for MS.

As far as help after your surgery, well, my dh was reading your post when I pulled it up and he said "Tell you dh to reschedule his trip" I know this could be difficult but if he can that would be very helpful. Otherwise, the others have offered many helpful suggestions.
Feel free to email me. I would like to hear from you.
Blessings<><
Jody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register