pain is flaring up again & almost out of meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain is flaring  up again & almost out of meds pain is flaring up again & almost out of meds

Unread 01-17-2002, 06:19 PM
pain is flaring up again & almost out of meds

Hi ladies!! Well, i was doing pretty good for almost the last week & here i am again in pain. My quandary right now is that i dont have a app. with my GP till wed. & i only have 3 percocet left. Is there anything other than a heating pad (hasnt worked for me) that has helped any of you with your pain? Any ideas at all would be appreciated. My pain is in the lower pelvic area- almost like cramps. I am at my wits end- its been a month since my gp gave me any meds & she doesnt call them in- you have to go in to see her. As you ladies are all too well aware of, drs. tend to look at us as "druggies", when in fact we are just human beings that are suffering in pain that they just dont understand. I hope that all of us will be out of pain some day really soon- i guess we just have to keep our eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel! Any replys would be MUCH appreciated!! You ladies are great!!!!!

Susan in pain, again.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 06:37 PM

{{{{Susan}}}}
I'm so sorry that you're suffering so. I would give the doc a call first thing in the morning. Do explain how much pain you are in. Perhaps she will give enough meds to last until your appt on Wed or perhaps she can squeeze you in tomorrow.

I do know how awful it is to live with pain. Unfortunately I've not really found anything that helps my pain. As with you, a heating pad is useless for me.

Sending some s
Unread 01-17-2002, 09:35 PM

Susan, this is just a thought...a stab in the dark, if you will. Have you tried an ice pak? I read that cold will reduce swelling which causes pain. So if you reduce the swelling....I know after my hyst the nurses gave me an ice pak and it worked wonders for me. Might be worth a try...although I'd much rather have something warm on my belly than something cold.

I'm really sorry you are in pain and hope you find some relief soon.

s

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2002, 09:52 PM

Sherry & Kim: Thanks for your concern & support- i cant tell you how much it means to me to just know that there are other women out there that understand what i am going thru. Kim- i am going to try to stick it out thru the weekend, the pain hasnt gotten any worse than its been (although its bad) - i have been cutting my percocet in half so that they "go a little farther" & i have them when i need them. Its pretty bad that in this day & age that we have to do that. So i should be ok for the weekend. I have mon.off work & could always go in to my GP then. And Sherry- i will definitely try the icepak- at this point i will try anything! I am also thinking (scary, huh? ) i have been working more hrs. than the usual- everyone seems to be taking theyre vacations so i have to help compensate for it. And the floor where i work at Sams is a hard concrete floor, i am wondering if that, combined with working the extra hrs. might be making the pain worse? Anyway, i am about ready for some zzzzz's dear sisters- thanks a bunch!!!!
i will let you know if the ice helps.

Susan
Unread 01-18-2002, 09:09 AM

Susan,
So sorry you are in pain again. I was just wondering have you ever tried percogisic? It is an over the counter medicine that is alot stronger than ibuprophen or tylonol. It has helped me some but it's not as strong as what the DR can give you. I hope this helps and that you are pain free soon.
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Hon...

First, don't try ice until you know for sure what's causing your pain IF you're having any burning sensations. If, by chance, and it's a slim one, but if you're having an RSD flare or a Nerve Damage flare - ice will make it worse. It constricts the blood vessels and WILL help with inflammation, but doesn't help nerve pain/rsd because it actually restricts blood flood but increases nerve activity.(That's not well known and I found that out the hard way). I guess you could try it, but if it makes it worse...cease it immediately.

You need to call your doctor, or simply make an appointment with a pain clinic and explain that you have due to surgery/trauma. They'll diagnose you and hopefully make you comfortable (or more so).
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:35 PM

Adrite- i have an app. with my GP on wed. but might go in on mon. if the pain is really bad still. The weird thing about my pain is how it "comes & goes"- very strange. I am seeing the urologist again on the 28th for the cystoscopy. So i am trying to find some answers - just wish the dr. could help me out with this pain while we are trying to figure out what the heck is going on...... Thanks for the replys ladies!!!

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register