Dreading Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dreading Surgery Dreading Surgery

Unread 01-18-2002, 09:18 AM
Dreading Surgery

I'm scheduled for a TAH on 01/29 and I feel like I'm going bonkers here with dread / anticipation. I know this is what I need to have done, but I'm still dreading it.

Has anyone else out there felt this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Sheila! Welcome to HysterSisters! Yes, almost all of us go through that anxiety and worry before a hyst. It's normal before major surgery, especially such a personal surgery as this. Why are you having your TAH? Read all you can on this site (pull-down menus on the home page, and "search" at the top of the page to type in subjects of interest to you and read past threads). Then post any questions you think of and we'll try to answer them. Hugs and best wishes! :hug
Ruithie
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Dreading Surgery

My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 1 (two weeks from today) and yes, it is all I can think about. I worry constantly about the surgery, the recovery, the pain afterward, will I be nauseated from the anesthesia, how will my recovery go, will I be in hormone h*ll -- the list goes on and on. I am extremely squeamish about the surgery - I want to know the facts but then again, I don't want to know them, if you know what I mean.

I guess the bottom line is I need this surgery and just have to get through this. I would never forgive myself if I chickened out and later on down the line had to pay with my health or possibly my life.

I think if you weren't worried that would be unusual. This is a great site, a wonderful support system that can help us through this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Dreading Surgery

Hey Sheila!!!

I'm scheduled for surgery the day after you. Yes, I feel bonkers at times too! There are days when I'm very calm and there are days (like today) where something ridiculous will set off a crying jag. From what I've read, this emotional stuff is normal and the waiting is the hardest part.

I have tried to stick to my normal routine and I'm trying to get things ready. But IT is always in the back of my mind!!

Hang in there, as I told someone yesterday, waiting is the PITS!!!!

Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:28 AM
Dreading Surgery

I
Unread 01-18-2002, 11:11 AM
Dreading Surgery

Hi Sheila,

Yes the stress, nerves and tears are normal!!! I too am not happy that I need to have this surgery, however, my acceptence level is changing! This site is a great place to get support. I think every question I have about recovery has already been answered just by reading the different posts. We all seem to have the same questions and concerns.

Keep reading and posting over the next couple of weeks it will be a wonderful source of information. I am finding the post op posts a great help as I mentally prepare for my big day!

Sending good thoughs your way!!!!
Unread 01-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Crying

So nice to hear that somone else is doing the crying thing too! Well, not nice but you know what I mean. I thought the mood swings would come after the surgery not before! If it gets worse I might either have to move or move out the family for awhile. I am not upset with the surgery itself, I want to feel better, but I have the normal pre-surgery jitters. I am surprised they are leading me to tears.
Unread 01-18-2002, 11:28 AM
Dreading Surgery

Sheila, you are so normal! I was a basket case prior to my surgery. Let me share with you that everything about my surgery went smoothly, and nothing was as bad as I thought it would be. You just get through it. Please realize that you are perfectly normal to be scared and stressed, and I think many women are the same way. Please know that you have support and blessings for a successful surgery and positive recovery. Blessings! -MaggieC
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Anxiety

Sheila:

I am scheduled for surgery on Feb. 1. I am scared too. I think what scares me the most at this moment is the anathesia(sp). I keep having thoughts of going under and not coming back. Also, after reading so much of this information at this sight (which is great, because now I see that this is more serious than I thought) I am scared that I will not have the support of my husband. He for some reason does not want to talk about this, and that put's me in a bad position, as i am 3,000 miles from family. Thank God for this site.

I will send up prayers for you, and you do the same for me.

redstick
Unread 01-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Thanks

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. Although some days it feels like it. This site has been a great help. I think I've read all the pulldowns (at least twice).

I'm having my hyst because of a long history of endometriosis. I was diagnosed with it at 15 and am almost 40. Needless to say, it seems I have constant pelvic pain and finally got the nerve (yeah right) to have this done.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I'll be sending good thoughts for all of you too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register