Oh My Gosh! Will I Be Cathed?!!?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh My Gosh!  Will I Be  Cathed?!!?? Oh My Gosh! Will I Be Cathed?!!??

Unread 01-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Oh My Gosh! Will I Be Cathed?!!??

It just dawned on me...will they put a catheter in for going pee? I think I'll freak out about that more than anything! I'm scheduled for a hyst on 2-1...don't even know yet if it will be TVH or the other...and now I'm freaking out even more!

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 11:04 AM

Hi, Bearz,

Yes, you will have a urinary catheter for awhile. Mine was put in AFTER I was "relaxed," so I have no memory of having it put in, thank goodness. I had a TVH, and mine was removed the morning after my surgery, so it was in less than 24 hours. It was mildly uncomfortable, and I had no difficulty urinating after it was removed, although some ladies do. While walking, I had to carry the bag. I did feel better after it was removed.

Best wishes,
princessh
Unread 01-18-2002, 11:15 AM

I too was totally freaked by the thought, I was asleep when they put it in. I was worried about being awake when they inserted it but my Dr assured me " it will be better for both of us"
if it was put in in the operating room. It wasn't that bad having it in, mine came out in less than 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 11:23 AM

Not to worry; the cath was really nothing for me. I went to sleep, and when I woke up, I had a cath. I didn't even know I had it for a while because I was groggy. It was not painful, and I couldn't feel it. Taking it out was not painful either. The nurse just used a needle or something to drain it - I'm not sure what happened as I felt nothing, nada, zip. Please don't worry about this! Blessings -MaggieC
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:27 PM

Hi Kathy,
I think the catheter sounds worse than it is. Actually I bet you will find it a blessing. I know I sure did. Mine was put in while I was still asleep, and stayed in for about 24 hours. Its so great because it really saves having to get up that first day so many times to make your way to the bathroom. I didn't feel it at all. I really think you will do fine with it too!!
All the best with your surgery!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:43 PM

The catheter sounds awful, but it's really not!! It's one of those things we build up in our imaginations until it takes on mythic proportions...please put your mind at ease.

The catheter almost always goes in AFTER you are asleep in the OR and you will most likely not even be aware of it. It's a godsend the first night...you DON'T want to be thinking about getting out of bed then, believe me! You'll be aware (maybe) that there's a tube alongside your leg, but it's not painful and most people don't even notice it.

If all goes well, it will probably come out in the morning, and you won't feel that, either. It's really a helpful thing, so please try not to worry about it too much!!! Really!!!

Karen
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:53 PM

HI,

You will have a catheter, but they put it in when your out. So you will not feel it. I had mine in the day of surgery and the day after. I was also nervous about this, but everything turned out to be ok. NO BIGGIE

Kelly
Unread 01-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Not to worry

It was one of my biggy concerns too, and turned out the be absolutely, totally nothing.

It was put in when I was out, and I was completely amazed how nothing it was when removed 2 days later (had it an extra day for unrelated reasons). Expected it to hurt, but didn't even feel it!!!

And, like everyone else says, you'll consider it a blessing cause you won't have to get up that first day!!

Best of luck. You'll do great!!!
Unread 01-18-2002, 01:11 PM

Don't spend one second worrying about the catheter, hon, because it really will be your best friend for the short time it's in. You don't want to have to get up to go to the bathroom for the first 12-24 hours or so after your surgery and the cath takes care of the problem for you. You won't even know it's there unless you touch it with your hand and when they take it out, it feels sorta like removing a tampon. I was nervous about it too beforehand, but it let me sleep undisturbed by the need to pee that first night when they were giving me lots of fluids by IV to flush the anesthesia out of my system.

Arebella
Unread 01-18-2002, 01:35 PM

Hi Bearz

Don't let yourself worry over being cathed. My surgery date is 1/22, but I have had a catheter put in me many times at the doctor's office. The first time I was so afraid I was ready to leave the office. But in fact, when it was put in I hardly felt anything uncomfortable. *penquin* And when I have one in after a previous surgery, I was thankful, because it would be horrible to get up to go to the bathroom or use a bedpan the first day.

Good Luck with your surgery I'll say lots of prayers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register