Did anyone's pathology report ever come back normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone's pathology report ever come back normal? Did anyone's pathology report ever come back normal?

Unread 01-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Did anyone's pathology report ever come back normal?

With all of my symptoms, my doctor is pretty sure that I have adenomyosis and that my left ovary isn't high up where it's supposed to be. I, am thinking I may also have some prolapse or major tilting of my uterus because sometimes, it feels as if my womb is just going to fall out! I also get stabbing pains deep in the vagina when sitting down, sometimes(this is just a couple of things amongst the pelvic pain, horrid cramps, heavy periods, painful sex, painful urination and pressure that seems to radiate through my whole pelvic region when I have a bowel movement, although, this does not always happen). I've also become anemic from the bleeding, feel tired ALL the time, am white as a ghost(so I'm told)and feel a general sense of weekness in my body... Anyways, to get back to my question, lol, what happens if your pathology report comes back and shows nothing? What if they don't find anything wrong with the organs they remove? I mean, I trust my doctor and have been going to him for over 13 years. He delivered both of my kids, knows my whole history and is well accredited! I know in my heart of hearts that something is causing all this pain and bleeding. I AM TOTALLY READY for this hysterectomy and an end to all of this, but I guess I am mostly wondering if anyone has experienced this. A thought came over me today about my insurance, too. If my pathology report comes back "normal", will they still pay??? I have already been approved to have the surgery based on the codes or whatever it is my doctor has given them, but will they STILL pay if the report comes back showing no medical cause for all these symptoms? I can't imagine that this happening, but still...... Any answers to this sisters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 05:20 PM

I think "normal" is a pretty subjective term...most of the time when a report shows something "abnormal" it is screening for specific pathologies, such as cancerous cells.

Luckily, our organs are not on trial. Your diagnosis is pretty much made BEFORE your surgery...a path report may confirm this, and tells the doctor about the cells, what the size and shape and condition of the organs removed were, etc. The operative report describes what went on in there, but mostly the path report is pretty black & white. It's not a "verdict", nor does insurance reimbursement depend on anything in the report. Unless your doctor suspects some malignancy somewhere, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Ask your doctor what normally shows up in these reports...maybe he can show you samples. And definitely get copies of both of the reports after your surgery. Everyone should have complete copies of these reports for their own medical files.

Talk this over with your doctor...don't let it trouble you.

Karen
Unread 01-18-2002, 05:24 PM

Thank you Karen!!!!!! May I you? Your post totally put my mind at ease! I had no idea about any of this stuff... Thank you, again! I LOVE this site. I haven't had a question go unanswered yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 06:09 PM
re:normal

Hello Julie, I had a LAVH on 1/11/02. I had a tubal back in '97 after i hemmoraged with the birth of my 3rd child. (may i add the doctor to this day has no explanation on why i hemmoraged) anywho, I have had problems with pelvic pain most of the month, some pain with intercourse on occasion, heavy heavy, very painful menstrual cycles and lots and lots of clotting, I was on a normal 28-30 day cycle and went for 7 days, I have been to 2 diff. OBGYN to only be placed on b/c pills and naproxen sodium for pain and bleeding for several years with no help! All tests came back as "normal" he decided that I might possibly have Endo. and since b/c and naproxin wasn't helping decided to go ahead with a hyterectomy with a poss. BSO. depending on the findings while doing the hyterectomy, needless to say I did get to keep my ovaries b/c he didn't find any Endo. I went for my check-up yesterday and was told that all of my pathology reports came back as "normal" he did tell me that my uterus was tipped a little and that could have in itself caused all of my problems. I am still confused myself as to the findings of the reports. I am doing wonderful now and have had no problems thus far. I believe this was the best thing I could have done for myself and have no regrets even though my reports were "normal" I am thankful that they didn't find anything serious. Don't know if this helps but thought i would put my 2 cents worth in. 's to you!
Unread 01-19-2002, 06:30 PM

Thank you, Missy! Yes, your post did help and gives me even more peace of mind on this whole hyst. thing. When women like you(close in age, 32 in April for me, and have similar symptoms)share your story and outcome, it really helps me to think of all the positive things to come for me... I'm sorry you had to go through all that you went through, but am SO happy for you that you feel great, now!

Thanks again!

BIG s to you.....
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:02 AM

Glad that I could be of some help to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register