Smoking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2002, 07:06 PM
Smoking

Is there anyone who is a smoker stressing? Im hoping to be able to stop while visiting the castle Jan. 28th. I figured it would be a good time to stop. Being you cant smoke in the hospital anyway why not give it a try. Has anyone sucessfully done this? Any advice? The stress level is slowly increasing 10 day count down now. Also one more question. Was it hard sleeping and getting in and out of bed? Im thinking of renting a hospital bed but some call me a whimp and say I dont need it. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Smoking

Re: sleeping: I stayed with friends after leaving the castle and spent the first 2 nights sleeping in a recliner. It was much easier to get into, sleep in, and get out of than the bed was. When I started sleeping in the bed, we moved a sturdy kitchen chair to the side of the bed and I would grab the back of the chair to help pull myself up in the morning. It worked just dandy.

When I returned to my apartment (about Day 10) I didn't like sleeping in my own bed for a while, so I slept on the couch. That was great - - I needed to use the back and arms of the couch to push myself to a sitting position. After abdominal surgery, my tummy muscles were too sore for me to pull myself up the usual way. It's easier if you have something to push against.

I'll be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and I feel good! Hope that encourages you! I still can't do everything I used to do - - but I'm getting there.

Re: smoking: there was a thread or maybe two on here about that recently. Maybe some of the new former smokers will post here. Last I heard, they were successful.

Good luck with your smoking recovery as well as your hyst recovery! Getting nicotine out of your system is one of the very best things you can do for yourself! Have you told your doctor about it? It might be good to have your doc's support, too. Drink plenty of water, and then drink more! Clean out your system and prevent post-op dehydration.

I quit smoking 8 years ago and have never regretted or missed it. Best thing I ever did! The hyst was a good idea, too!

Best of luck to you, J.B.!
Unread 01-19-2002, 03:33 AM
Smoking

Hi JB,

I had TAH/BSO on 1/11/02. Before surgery I was smoking at least a pack a day. I had my last smoke on the way to the castle. I am now 8 days post-op and have not had a smoke since the trip to the castle. So far, I have no desire and do not miss it at all.

As far as sleeping goes, I have been using my own bed. I have a body pillow that has been great for helping me sleep on my side. Getting out of bed is a little easier now. At first, I had to get on my side and push up with my elbow. It was painful but not unbearable.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 04:08 AM
Smoking

Hi JB,

I too had my last cigarette on the way to the castle (Sept. 17th). I was a two pack a day smoker for 20 years. Your stay in the castle is really the best time to quit. I don't think I could have quit any other time. You will feel so much better and your recovery should go smoother too. I did not have the patch or anything like that in the hospital, it was really "cold turkey"

Wishing you the best of luck.....you can do it !!!!
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:06 AM
Quitting When I go to the Castle Too!

Yeah!!!! I'm going to quite too! I was thinking I'd try before, but I like the idea of having the last one on the way to the castle.
Unread 01-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Smoking

Hi,

Just thought I would join in. I had my surgery on 12-20-01 and my last cigarette. I went cold turkey. If you really want to quite,
then you will. I knew the stay in the hospital would be my only way to quite. I'm so glad I was finally able to quite. I smoked over a pack a day. I wish you the best of luck and lots of support.
God Bless,
Sue
Unread 01-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Smoking

Hi J.B.,

I just wanted to encourage you to try to stop smoking - I quit many years ago, and have never regretted it, although I didn't do it at the same time as my hysterectomy. Maybe some of the ladies who quit when they went into the hospital will post.

Some of us Florida hystersisters are getting together tomorrow (Sunday) at 1 PM at the Borders bookstore in Ocoee (a few miles west of Orlando. I don't know if you saw the earlier posts about it. If you can join us, we'd love to have you there. It's near the West Oaks Mall.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want.

Karen
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:54 PM
totally stressed

Hi JB

I am totally stressed about smoking. I plan to try to quit while in the castle (which is tomorrow 1/21). I will not smoke for those 4 days and hopefully will stay that way. BUT - I have two pack hidden just in case. I'll give them to a co-worker if I don't use them. Why have some you ask - well DH will not go buy them for me if I am flipping out for one.

Good luck to you, we can do it!! hug
Unread 01-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Smoking

I had to laugh at your post Pennot! hehe My DH won't by them either. How terrible to be having a fit and not being able to get to one?! I know where you are coming from. I didn't have a smoke the 2 days I was in the hospital, but was sure wanting one when I got home. I guess I am just not ready to quit. I wish all of you trying to quit the best of luck! I know how hard it is.

Best to all of you!

!
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:44 AM
Quitting Smoking

There are lots that have the same idea as me..I am scheduled for surgery 2/19 and have decided that is the day that I will stop smoking..I figured that the first day will be easy..I'm going to be asleep anyways...haha..I know that I can do it..And was encouraged to read your posts to know that others have done it. I am not too nervous yet..but still a month to go..Be so glad to have this pain gone..
I am wondering something..Is it hard with a vaginal..I don't know the abbreviations yet..hysterectomy to get out of bed and stuff like that? I have had the abdominal surgeries before but was wondering..I heard that having it done vaginally is like having a baby..Tell me what to expect please..
Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register