can I sit through a movie in the theater? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can I sit through a movie in the theater? can I sit through a movie in the theater?

Unread 01-19-2002, 09:19 AM
can I sit through a movie in the theater?

HI all. I had a LAVH on 1/15 and feel great. After staying in the hospital until Thursday am, I haven't needed anything but advil for pain. Gas pains subsided 2 days ago and I had a bm yesterday woohoo!
Now, I'm wondering if sitting in a theater to watch a Beautiful Mind is ok to do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 09:26 AM
from one Linda to another...

Hi Linda,

You seem to be doing very well, which is great! Something to keep in mind, here, is that sitting is an "activity", and prolonged sitting can become rather uncomfortable because it puts undue pressure on the healing tissues of your abdomen. The reaction may not even show up until later. Even with a LAVH, there was lots of cutting and stitching on the inside that we can't see to remind us that we had major surgery.

Perhaps you could tolerate a movie this soon, but in my opinion, I would wait to do this at least a couple of more weeks. It's one thing to feel comfortable sitting at home, where you can stretch out off your feet anytime you want to, and quite another to be in a movie theatre where there's no sofa.

One other thing to consider as we're in the middle of cold and flu season...right after major surgery, your resistance to viruses, etc., is lowered, and you stand a better chance of picking up a bug if you get into crowds of people.

My very best to you...
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:41 AM

The anesthesia is still WORKING in your system! It is common to think you feel better than you really do at this point.

Also, pain meds can make you think you can do more than you should. I felt great for a week or two myself!

This does not mean you should get carried away. You just had MAJOR SURGERY!

The sisters here know what they are talking about. I am glad I listened.

It will catch up to you and make your recovery longer and harder.
So, DON'T OVERDO now..

My personal opinion is that it is much too early for movie-going, get someone to rent one for you and stay home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 11:26 AM

I am a movie goer also! I was pleased to find my theater didn't let me down. Went to see Gosford Park (loved it!) I got through the whole movie without being too uncomfortable. I only had to go to the bathroom once! I was 1 week 4 days post-op. Let you body be your guide. (Not your desire to be normal again.) You may regret it if you overdo. I hope you get to enjoy your show!
Unread 01-19-2002, 02:44 PM

thanks for all of the good advice. I forget that the anesthesia is still affecting how I truly feel. I will be very careful. I sat in the car for a drivein the country today (with a pillow between me and the seatbelt and I feel ok but we'll just have to play it by ear! renting might be better.....
Unread 01-19-2002, 06:21 PM

Hi Linda!

Yes, I agree with everything MusicLady said; and with what you just said---->renting will probably be much more comfortable!

s,
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:53 PM

I want to see Lord of the Rings and it's a 3 hour movie! Being just under 2 wks post op, I may have to wait I guess. I just finished the book though!
Some movie theatres cost a wee bit more to get in but are worth it for the comfy seats and leg room.
Unread 01-19-2002, 11:12 PM
movie

I went and saw Lord of the Rings a week ago today which made me 3 weeks post radical abdominal. Lucky for me the theater we went to had the seats with removable arms and was not crowded. 1 hour into it I had to lift the arms and lay down with my head in dh's lap!! I really did not think it would be so tiring, but I was exhusted the next day! As much as I loved the movie I wish I had waited awhile longer.
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:20 AM
movies

At three weeks 1 day post, I went to see Lord of the Rings as well (Awesome Movie!!) Anyway it is 3 hours long. The theater seats were comfy and i was fine threw the entire movie. For myself, any time before that i would not been able to sit there. I did need a potty break about the last 30 minutes of the movie but didn't go. It was just to exciting and didn't wanna miss anything LOL

listen to your body Always take care and be well
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Anesthesia Long Lasting Effects?

I read a couple of times above about the anesthesia still affecting how you feel (or don't feel pain or discomfort I guess) for a period of time after the surgery. I had TAH/BSO 10 days ago (01/10/02) and was bragging to everyone how suprisingly great I was feeling, and now today I woke up like someone's been using my abdomin for a punching bag. I'm kind of embarrassed that I told so many people that I was feeling so great, and now I seem to be on a definite down hill regression! Could this be because I was still "insulated" a bit from the anesthesia ten days ago? I quit Vicoden about 4 days after the surgery because it made me sick to my stomach, and have been doing just Motrin since which seems to work okay. I don't think I'm overdoing it, but maybe I guess. So - I guess the question is - anyone else feel really pretty good after surgery, and then a bit worse at 10 days or so post? Thanks to all!

Peg

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register