Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old

Unread 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old

Hi I am 41 and had a total hysterectomy on 25th may. I am not allowed to take hrt as I had breast cancer two years ago so I am going through surgical menopause. I am just over 6 weeks post op and so far I'm doing fine. I do have night sweats, which I have been getting for two years since being on tamoxifen, I have also started getting the occasional hot flush during the day and I'm coping ok. My mum had a hyster 6 years ago and also did it without any hrt, she swears by cutting down on dairy and has swapped her milk to lactose free and she hasn't had any problems. I have been prescribed calcium tablets to protect my bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm in the same situation with surgical menopause at 41 and have just started taking vivelle patches. I was having mild hot flashes and couldn't sleep. I'm on the 4th day and got upset this morning with my husband and felt really irritable and almost irrational, crying. I'm just keeping busy now. Yesterday morning I had my first migraine since February. This morning I started to have one but it stopped with now a mild headache at lunchtime. The dr's office said to give it a chance and stick with the hormones due to all the other benefits due to my age. I'm not sure after this morning but will wait. Have you had feelings of feeling irrational or like things didn't make sense. Not sure if that was just because of the argument or hormones. lol
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Smile - Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old Re: Surgical Menopause with no HTR, 39 years old

Hi I am also 39 and had TAH 6/13 removing everything... Endo, cysts on ovary, adenomyosis, adhesions (years of pain). At my 2 wk post op appt I asked my doc about HRT and he said we would talk about it at my 6wk post op appt. The flushes/night sweats and insomnia are horrible !!!! I am concerned about taking HRT because of the ENDO !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2012, 09:58 AM

I hope all your recoveries go well. I do remember in the beginning I had major emotional roller coaster. Things have settled down in that department, but did have major upsets in the beginning. My doc went right to HRT even with the endo, so not sure on this whole thing. But I do have to say, the headaches I have are only increasing, very, very severe. They start out mild right away in the morning and get to the severe point almost every night.

I did just stop with the vivelle patch and am going to explore other options. Possible herbal supplements?? Reading a couple of the books that are recommended by hyster sisters, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" and "Sudden Menopause". I did check these out in the beginning, but as most of you know, your concentration is just not there

Anyway, since tapering the patch, my emotions are back to the roller coaster already! I would have thought after a year (and a few months), they would have tapered off a bit, but nope! They are still in control!! I always had severe PMS, so guess I shouldn't be too surprised! My poor family!!

I wish I could shed light for you on the HRT, but it seems so confusing to me as well. Pros and cons to everything and it seems like a lot of doctors have lots of different things to say as well. I hope your doctors can lead you in the right direction!!

These last few days have been very, very teary for me, so be careful with your hormones...wish there was an easy and perfect answer out there!!!

Bless you all!
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Hope your recovery goes well. I'm having my surgery on the 6th of September and I have had conversation with my doctor about HRT. He said that because I was 39 it was necessary for me to have the hormones.

I would talk to your doctor about the use of HRT and why they have decided not to give you any. That's the best advice I can give you.
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM

Hi
I saw my GP yesterday and mentioned the flushes and night sweats. She can't give me HRT due to the breast cancer which I knew anyway. She has prescribed my tablets called Clomidine, they are an old blood pressure treatment and she said works well with the flushes/sweats with some women so I'm going to give them a go. Speaking it my BC nurse yesterday she said that sage works too and you can buy it in a tablet form as an alternative method.
I am 7 weeks today, my emotions are fine, I'm not getting headaches just the flushes etc so if I can control that then I think I'm going to do fine without HRT but fingers crossed!!
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Wow! Great to hear for you! That is awesome! The emotions and headaches are hard to deal with. I may have to try the sage or ask about the other thing you mentioned for the hot flashes as I have already had a re-bout of endometriosis since the surgery. It may have been there before, who knows for sure. But good to know on the other items!! I was going to check out some more herbal things as well! Keep everyone posted what I find out!!

Take care and great to hear everyone's news! It helps to connect again!

Thanks!
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:24 PM

I'm just hoping it lasts!! I'm still off work and resting atm as had breast surgery last week, I'm due back in work 6th August so I'm hoping the sleepless nights settle down as I know that will be hard to deal with once I'm back to normal everyday life.
Sorry to hear about the flare up in your endo, maybe trying the alternatives will help instead of the HRT? My mum swears by cutting out dairy products too.
Good luck x
Unread 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM

Good luck to you in your recoveries! We have breast cancer in both sides of our family so I try to be very careful with that!! Not like we can do anything about it, but HRT is also something I would like ot avoid for that reason. My very good friend just had a masectomy. Will keep you in my thoughts.

And thanks, I have ben off dairy (most of them anyways!! Cheese is a hard one for me!), for awhile now as I heard the same thing! However, will be doing more research on the herbal supplements this weekend hopefully!!!

Good luck to You!!
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:31 PM

I had my 6 week post op appointment yesterday and the surgeon agreed that the best thing that I could do to ensure that the endometriosis didn't return, was to discontinue the hormone therapy. He said that I will be feeling the full effects of surgical menopause in 2 to 3 weeks. I am interested in whether any of you have had any success with herbal remedies, to help with night sweats, hot flashes, etc. I will let you know how I feel in 2 to 3 weeks from now, but I cannot fathom ever living with endometriosis again. I feel like my body has been given a 2nd chance - a life after endo - and I want to fully embrace it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register