How was your first cycle post D&C?...warning, content may be gross | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How was your first cycle post D&C?...warning, content may be gross How was your first cycle post D&C?...warning, content may be gross

Unread 01-19-2002, 08:04 PM
How was your first cycle post D&C?...warning, content may be gross

I had a D&C on January 9th. It was done quick because I had hemmorrhaged on New Years Eve. At the time my temp was up 1/2 degree, and I suspected I had ovulated. At my followup on the 16th, I mentioned it to the dr as we were scheduling my Hyst, because he wanted me to have a period before then. SO, they took my blood to check for progesterone, and told me to call back the next day for results. Well, I called the next day and the nurse (a real witch!) told me they sent the lab work out, and it wouldn't be back until Tuesday. (coincidently, the day my Dr. gets back from VEGAS!) So, Thursday night or Friday morning I started spotting. Friday was a regular period, last night was heavy, as was this morning, then it tapered off. OK, so I'm thinking hey, I was right, I ovulated. Now tonight its heavy again. At one point I passed a clot so big that it pushed out my tampon! I think its slowed down again now, but I passed alot more clots right after that, and had cramping, which I NEVER have. (Maybe I should mention that I have PCOS, and almost never get my period to begin with.)

So, of course, my doctor is out until Tuesday, his office personnel are gone too, and I feel like I'm hung out to dry. I'm feeling a little panicky because I hemmorrhaged once already just 3 weeks ago, but that was sudden, with no bleeding beforehand, and this is different.

Of course, I could talk to the nurse on call, but what can she do? She doesn't know my history, has no way to access the stupid blood test to confirm this is just a period, and would probably think I was a nut if I called!

Please, please tell me your first Aunt Flo after a D&C was heavy, and that I'm probably just experiencing something normal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 09:25 PM

Never mind...talked to dr on call, and am starting progesterone.

Thanks anyway.
Unread 01-19-2002, 09:30 PM

Kathy, I had a D&C a couple of months before my hyst and did hemmorhage a couple of weeks after with huge clots. I was soaking through a pad in less than an hour and could feel it gushing out. Fortunately it finally stopped, but I did have to take iron pills after my hysterectomy. If you do begin to hemmorhage while your doctor is gone I think you should go to the ER. I certainly wouldn't mess around with this, especially since you hemmorhaged just a short while ago.

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2002, 10:56 PM

Hi there...

I am not too sure about what is or isn't normal after a DnC. A DnC was one of the things I had done to minimize my menstrual bleeding, but it didn't work. I was not supposed to have my regularly scheduled period(or at least not as heavy)when it was to come about. This was about 2 weeks after my DnC. Well, HA! Not only did I get my period, but it was 2 days early AND it was just as heavy as before the surgery. blech This concerned my doctor and we went from there. I also had adhesions removed that were engulphing my right ovary, but it hasn't helped the pain any! So, here I am, ready to have this crap outta me for good and live in a pain and period free world. Sorry, I just realized I was of NO help. I just wanted to let you know what happened as far as my own DnC went, but, I assume that women have a DnC mostly to cut down on the heavy bleeding and if you are continuing to bleed so badly, then I would say that's not a normal thing. I'm glad you talked to the doctor! What did he say, btw? Did he say what IS normal after this procedure?

s to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register