Not about Hyst, but Need Advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not about Hyst, but Need Advice Not about Hyst, but Need Advice

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:59 AM
Not about Hyst, but Need Advice

Hey Podie --
just remember to keep taking care of yourself while you're taking care of your husband -- you're still recovering and the LAST thing you need is the flu, you're doing so great after surgery! There is a nasty cold/flu bug going around I'm pretty much over it but it's been over 2 weeks since it started, hope your dh gets wells soon.
Ann (Peachy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 11:56 AM

As always, thanks for your concern! Yes, my DH is really sick and I'm trying not to catch it. Since we both work at the Post Office, I immediately took him to the hospital to be tested for anthrax and haven't gotten the results yet. I asked the doctor for Cipro, and he prescribed it ($85 for 20 pills!), because if it's anthrax that's the best thing for it, and when I have a bad viral infection, Cipro knocks it right out.

My son is hangdog guilty now, convinced (and probably right) that his Dad is sick because of him. So I'm still annoyed with him, but I've resumed talking to him because I don't want to throw him into a suicide mode as all these teens seem to be in. (One of the 18 year old boys down the block hanged himself last week)

My six week post-op appointment was postponed so next week so I'm still just taking it easy - have 11 years of photos spread out on the dining room table!
Unread 01-23-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi Podie

Celeste,

How scary!!! I hope that you and DH are feeling ok soon and that nothing beyond a common cold is the cause of your woes.

You are still so vulnerable post-op. Take care of you and your family.

My "little" sister (ok, she's 30ish) works in Orlando at a place called the Bridge, which is an "in-between" center for kids in need of help getting the education and counseling that they need to get back into real life. If she or I can help you please let us know.

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 04:37 PM

I've got my fingers crossed your dh's anthrax test comes back negative.............
Cipro does what it's supposed to do that's for sure, but be careful, the dentist gave it to my dh for gum infection a few months ago and it REALLY upset his stomach.
Trying to sort out 11 years of photos sounds like work to me -- is this one of those projects you've been planning to do "when you have time"?
Take care!
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:09 PM

Yup, Peachy, you got it, it's one of those "when I have time" projects. I'll never get another chance!

I love Cipro. When I was on active duty with the Navy in Washington DC, I was sick for weeks and weeks and they kept giving me antibiotics that did absolutely nothing. Finally the doctor told me he was down to his last medication, an antibiotic so strong it would either make me well or kill me. I was almost all better in 48 hours. Now that's good stuff!

Janet, thanks for telling me about your sister and the Bridge. I've heard of it. Dale was evaluated twice by such places and both of them said they couldn't put him in any programs because he "obviously" didn't have a drug problem, he was simply using marijuana recreationally. Well, that's a bit of a problem when even one joint (if they even still call them that) carries a one year sentence and $1000 fine in Florida!

I'll keep you all informed. Thanks!
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:29 AM

Hi Podie!
Kids! I have an 18 yr old also, chomping the bit to be on her own. Still in high sch. tho--and she can't understand why I only let her work wk-ends now. You know I can tell she's headed for a big fall, but it looks like I'm gonna have to let her take it. Teenagers are really tough on parents. They don't see the big picture yet. I think you're doing the right thing w your son. You're being supportive of him but you're doing what you can to keep trouble away from him. Keep it up and don't let it get you down-- that's the hardest part for me! Good luck and stay tough! Cindy
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:23 AM

The scariest thing is that once they're 18, if they're caught with ANY amount of marijuana or drug paraphernalia, the max sentence is $1000 fine and 1 year in jail, and the person immediately loses their driver's license for two years. That's for the very first offense! And they lump marijuana, hashish, and LSD in the same drug and penalty category! I think that's pretty ridiculous.

Especially when you speak to my son, who says the cop who arrested him asked him most of the questions BEFORE he was read his rights, but my son was too scared to not answer. I told him he needs to write down everything he can remember, but my son is just barely literate - although of course he gets B's in English since half the class is even more illiterate that he is!

So, it has come to what I feared all along - if I don't agree to a second mortgage, my husband is going to go to one of those 25% interest places for the $10,000 or so that may be necessary. I'm trying not to worry about it until the lawyer we used before gets all the paperwork and tells us if there's any chance of keeping him out of jail.

Last night my son was finally in tears, saying, "Mom, I can't go to jail! The guys in that jail cell were horrible!" He's finally facing reality, but it's too late.
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:18 AM

So, Podie, how would you keep him out of jail? Because he was questioned before being read his rights? I'm going to show your post to my DD because she's 18, and I recently found reason to believe she's smoking pot. (I mean like last wk-end recently!) It's just such a shock, because she prides herself on being "straight edge" which means no caffeine, drugs, smoking or alcohol under any circumstance... now this. I haven't even confronted her yet... I know what she'll say. Now she wants to bring a group of friends out for 3x week band practices in our barn, and I think they're the druggie friends. I'm struggling between feeling bad about not letting her (can you believe that?) and knowing it's the right thing to do not to let her. I was thinking of your post when you don't let any of the phone calls thru when you know it's the wrong type of kids. Well, think I'll go racewalk now and try to forget my troubles for awhile. Good luck w yours!!! I'm thinking of you! Cindy
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:31 PM

His lawyer (a friend of mine) and I (used to be pre-law) sat down for 10 minutes and came up with a few reasons the case may be thrown out. Mainly because it was an improper traffic stop. The driver was stopped for illegal blue lights, he showed the cop they were white/clear, not blue (his car is blue, making them look like blue lights) and was issued a ticket anyway. When he went down to the courthouse and showed them the receipt from two weeks ago for clear/white lights, they dismissed the ticket.

Secondly, you can only be held for "x" number (not sure yet what it is) of minutes after citations have been issued and accepted. This driver and his vehicle were held for 28 minutes after the tickets were issued.

Most importantly, the drug was found in someone else's vehicle, not ON a person, and therefore could have been anyone else's, regardless of what the kids said. It was improper to arrest my son and not the owner of the car as well.

Anyway, that's just the beginning. We'll see what happens. If none of those work, our goal simply becomes keeping him out of jail, working toward a one or two year drug probation with weekly testing.

I wish I could be more encouraging about keeping kids who do smoke away from kids who don't, but sometimes I wonder if any of them don't! My daughter is brilliant but says she used to do it. And she says she did not know one person in her group of friends - all smart kids now on college scholarships - who didn't smoke marijuana. I don't know the answer. We did it too!

Only time will tell what happens here. I believe that what happens is the will of God, and I can only accept it when it occurs. But I'll still dry to keep him out of jail and prison.
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:05 AM

As the mother of four, one approaching 17, I can understand your hurt, fear and protectiveness. I would do whatever it takes to protect my children and keep them out of prison. However, as an old narcotics officer, please follow through on some kind of counselling for your son. Even though most of us "recreationally used marijuana", the problems come not from a somewhat "Harmless" drug but the culture that surrounds it. The same people that supply this harmless drug are the same ones supplying cocaine, heroine, ecstacy,etc. Your son must be "friends" with one of these sorts to get his supplies. This is where my fears with my children set in. The search warrants that I was involved in were very tellling about a culture that most law-abiding citizens would be astounded by. It really is a different world. The real suppliers think nothing of shooting somebody because they "MIGHT" have shorted them in a transaction. They are willing to hide the drugs that they hoard on an infant to keep the police from finding it. Babies have managed to consume the drugs that have been hidden in their diapers, blankets or clothing. They have also been killed by other drug dealers attempting to rob the initial dealer and the baby is considered an expendable piece of property. The mother is usually so strung out that she can't or is not willing to provide protection.
I know this all sounds melodramatic but the real fear is not so much jail but the understanding that these "friends" and contact with them could be deadly. I pray for your son and all of those innocents out there that just don't understand the gravity of their decisions.
My thoughts and prayers are with you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register