Those of you with Ovarian Cancer--HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Those of you with Ovarian Cancer--HRT? Those of you with Ovarian Cancer--HRT?

Unread 01-20-2002, 07:34 PM
Those of you with Ovarian Cancer--HRT?

Can you take hormones? What have your doctors said? I don't have Ovarian Cancer, but I don't want to take hormones because of my family's breast and other cancers. My doctor doesn't want me to take HRT or even Soy supplements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 09:13 PM

Hi Vicki!

From what I've read either here or on other sites, it seems to depend on the type of cancer involved.

Just like other types of cancer, there are different types of ovarian cancer. Some are estrogen receptive and so HRT is not advised, others are not so are able to take it.

The type that mine was is the receptive type so I was told no HRT for at least two years after completing the treatments. I do take a multitude of vitamin supplements to help with the hot flashes, night sweats and such. I take among them, Vitamin E, Multi Vitamin, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, B-Complex and Glucosamine. The Dr also is having me take some presribed meds to help with the insomnia I have problems with.

Hope this helps some. You might want to also check out the No Hormone forum, there are some ladies there who are taking other supplements to help.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 01-20-2002, 09:17 PM

Did you have bad hot flashes, night sweats and other symptoms? I don't remember how young you were when you had everything out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 09:38 PM

Yep, I do get hot flashes, not too bad or really that often but I make sure I dress in layers if I can so that helps.

The night sweats seem to affect me more, pretty much every night I'm throwing the covers off and on. That along with the insomnia I've had problems with are the things I'm trying to work on, I was getting pretty burned out not sleeping well but have just started taking melatonin again after taking Neurontin for a while. Both seem to make me fairly groggy the next morning if I don't take them early enough.

I was 38 at the time of my surgery and there was a couple month delay before the meno symptoms first started appearing. Either I hadn't used up my stores yet or if just happened to coinside with the onset of hot weather around here.

Anyway, I have found regardless (especially considering my age) that I've been very lucky in that I don't seem to have the major hot flashes or mood swings some have experienced.
Unread 01-21-2002, 02:37 AM

About 3 or more years ago I had hot "spells" and some night sweats. They sort of disappeared or I got used to them. I was 49 at the time. I have now started having them again when I was 5 weeks post-op, but they aren't horrible and last for about a minute or less (sometimes only a few seconds). I may have one or two a day, or none, if I don't remember to think about it.

Honestly, if I hadn't read that I SHOULD expect them, I probably wouldn't have noticed them. Of course, I was 'waiting' to have them (my doctor and everyone else told me I would). AND, sometimes if I start thinking about if I will get one, I do. How long do normal hot flashes last (as in "five minutes")? And do they go on forever? I just pull up my sweatshirt sleeves and they are gone.

Northern Minnesota is a good place to be for hot spells. ;-)
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:32 AM

Hiya Vicki!

I really don't know if there IS a normal length of time for the hot flashes.

Sometimes I get one that lasts less than a minute, other times (especially when I get mad ) they can last for many minutes. At times like that I'm glad I work in a restaurant that has a VERY large walkin freezer.

Most of the time I do dress in layers, when one hits its normally enough to just take off whatever jacket I'm wearing and that takes care of it. I also keep a little fan on my desk if it lasts a little longer or I can't go cool off in the freezer right then.
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:33 AM
hrt & ovca

Hi - I just read a post from an ovca survivor on an ovarian support board I subscribe to. She attended a lecture (Seattle I think) and the lecture was on hrt & ovca. She said that the dr said he had decided that hrt was okay for some cell types and others not. It was dependant on the person. I think this is interesting.

He also talked about soy replacement.

She said the dr said the jury was still out overall.

I am currently off premarin because of bad sides. So I'm in the desert. I'm having hot flashes, night flashes & insomnia. YIKES!! Oh well trudging through looking for that oasis. If you find it let me know!

RobinS
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:43 AM

But you're young and probably need the replacement. I had already just about finished menopause anyway.
Unread 01-21-2002, 12:15 PM

Hi Vicki,
I had Stage II ovca, strain was dysgerminoma, and I am able to take estrogen. Its been fine and I haven't had any problems. Its really easy to use as well. Its a gel that you just rub into your arms everynight. Its quick and easy. I need it more for help with my bones than anything else. I didn't start on it until 7 months post op.
Hugs
Maria
Unread 01-22-2002, 05:24 PM

I was allowed hormones ONLY after my biopsy came back with non-hormone sensative cancer.

Maggie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register