What about sleeping positions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What about sleeping positions? What about sleeping positions?

Unread 01-21-2002, 12:51 AM
What about sleeping positions?

Hi ladies:

What are the limitations for sleeping positions after a hysterectomy? I usually start off sleeping on my stomach and eventually end up all over the bed. I am a real active sleeper, along with my 2 cats and husband!

Will I need to strap myself down to the mattress or sleep with 100 pillows so I don't disturb my healing process? Do you end up sleeping on your back the whole night staring at the ceiling counting the days to recovery?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 02:22 AM
sleeping

Renee

After TAH you won't be able to sleep on your tummy for a while. From the first day post op I had the option of either side or my back. Lying on your side you quickly learn to use a pillow under your tummy as this is very comfortable. I also had one behind my back to stop me from rolling back.

Sleeping with husband and cats. I don't have cats, but sleeping with my partner has not been a problem at all right from the day I came home.

Regards and best wishes on your surgery.
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:33 AM

I used lots of pillows and slept on my back and on my side. You won't be able to sleep on your stomach for awhile. You really won't want to sleep on your stomach. You will find the pillows helpful in propping you up and supporting yourself. Eventually I did go back to sleeping on my stomach but it was after quite a few weeks of recovery................you will just know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 05:17 AM

I must be weird. I was able to sleep on my stomach the first night home. (TAH bikini incision) Granted, I didn't roll or move anything besides my arms, head and legs. The jungle gym over the bed in the castle spoils you more than you can imagine. Don't worry, things have a way of working themselves out.
Unread 01-21-2002, 05:18 AM

You should be able to stomach sleep by about 2 weeks, although you will find it a little irritating while you settle in. I've read from some posters that they were allowed to stomach sleep within days, but I didn't have the guts to try it until 2 weeks.
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:44 AM

I would like to add that you might be a much less active sleeper for the first couple of weeks home. Rolling over in bed was a major ordeal for me for quite a while, and I tended to stay in one position as much as possible to avoid the discomfort of turning. You have to figure out a way to move so that you don't feel like you are pulling on the incision or hurting your poor tummy muscles. I found that it worked best if I rolled my whole body at once -- no twisting of the upper body over first, and keeping my legs close together helped too -- it didn't pull on my lower abs as much somehow.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well during those early days -- I think by the time I figured out HOW to get comfortable, I was too awake to sleep. Somewhere around the 3rd week, it all got better.

By the way, I'm a side sleeper, and was able to get most of the way up on my side the night of my surgery. I cannot sleep on my back, so I was desperate!

Best of luck,

Joanie
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:57 AM
Sleeping how

I was a little sore. had a biniki cut and my DH is a kicker and flopper so I opted to sleep in my recliner for a few nights. I lay the recliner all the way back and slept fine. My Kittypuss slept in the crook of my arm as always. Then I went back to a bed cause my back needed some relief. But I chose the guest bed because of the leg motion from my DH. At about a couple of weeks I rolled over in my sleep on to my tummy and it was fine. The first few nights in the bed were the worse because I would wake myself moving. After the staples came out it wasn't bad at all. I had the staples about 4 days. then it was just a little pinchy when I moved. Condensed into a phrase Wasn't bad at all. God bless and let us know when you feel up to it how you do in the different postions after your hyst.
Unread 01-21-2002, 09:19 AM

Heh be careful sleeping on your stomach. I had a messy appendectomy thru a bikini incision and was in the hospital a whole week. Towards the end of this week I felt that I really could and would like to lie on my stomach. Well, I turned over that way but then I was stuck and couldn't get back over!

I worked on it for about ten minutes and finally turned back over myself, but I thought I was going to have to call the nurse. Geesh.
Unread 01-21-2002, 04:20 PM
I know about cats!

My male cat, Shadow, just goes nuts if he can't lie on my chest and stomach for at least 15 minutes when I go to bed each night. So I put a pretty flat pillow on me the first night I was home and now (6 weeks later) he even knows to wait until I get the pillow in place! Your cats will know something is wrong and be very careful around you - they're always smart like that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register