2 odd questions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 odd questions... 2 odd questions...

Unread 01-21-2002, 10:19 AM
2 odd questions...

Hi guys...
I'm not even sure if this is the right "forum" for my questions, but since I'm definitely "pre-op" I thought I'd start here.

First, has anyone heard of anyone LOSING weight after TAH and removal of ovaries, et al?

My doc says that since I only became overweight when my ovaries started misfiring about 7 years ago (when I had kids), that there is a good chance that removing the offenders will help me lose a lot of weight, back to what is "normal" for me. I've only seen posts on here, though, for people mostly gaining weight. Does it depend on what hormones I am put on afterward?
(I have polycystic ovarian disease, which sets up a vicious estrogen-weight gain-estrogen cycle).

No. 2, I know this sounds awful, but what IS the mortality rate for TAH these days? I know it's now considered a "safe" procedure, but surely things do go wrong. What are the risks? The anesthesia? I have a doctor I thoroughly trust, so that helps. But yes, I'm still having the panicked thoughts that I will leave my young children without a mommy!!

I think if I could be reassured that I'm not going to die in surgery, I'd feel better....

Thanks
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 10:47 AM
2 odd questions...

Hi, Janet! I don't know the exact statistics, but the rate of mortality with a hyst is very low. This is one of the most performed surgeries in the U.S. and most women come through fine with no complications. Maybe someone else here has the statistics? As for weight loss/gain, every woman is different. I lost 10 pounds and HRT has helped remove the fat around my waistline. During menopause (starting even in perimenopause) the decreasing estrogen level causes fat to be redistributed from other parts of a woman's body to her waistline, which is unhealthy for the heart, etc. So if you can take estrogen replacement, it is good for your figure as well as your heart. Of course, you will have swelly belly for awhile and might not see a difference right away! Hopefully you'll lose the weight you've gained and feel good after your hyst and recovery. Hugs and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:50 AM
2 odd questions...

Janet,
I lost about 10 pounds after my TAH/BSO. Everyone is different. Hormones do play a very vital part. Your doctor knows your situation the best.
Mortality rate I'm not sure about. Your own doctor knows you the best and any other health considerations. As you think of questions please write them down to ask your doctor. You can even call and speak with the doctor's nurse who can give the questions to your doctor to be answered. I'm sure you will do just fine. There are some ladies who have had their surgeries post-poned or cancelled due to how their pre-op tests came back. There is no way your doctor will allow you to have surgery if there is any danger due to pre-op test results coming back with an abnormal result. This is what the Pre-Op tests are used for.

s to you,
Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 10:59 AM
2 odd questions...

What your doctor says makes sense, Janet. I don't know what the statistics are on that, but seems like it would help by getting the culprits to your weight gain out.

When you read your pre-op papers and sign them they tell you what the risks are. In my surgery report it reads that "the risk of inadvertent organ damage to the bowel, bladder or ureters potentially resulting in a fistula or needing subsequent repair or prolonged catheterization, bleeding that could necessitate a blood transfusion, infection, potential necessitating antibiotics, drainage, reoperation, or resulting in a fistula and postoperative problems such as pneumonia, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism was explained to the patient". They have come along way with anesthesia...I'm sure that will all be explained in your papers. And if you are concerned about it ask your doc who your anesthesiologist will be and see if you can contact him/her and discuss the anesthesia with him/her. They will be able to explain everything and put your mind at ease.

There are always risks with major surgery and you have to go into it understanding that. But, I always try to keep in mind how many people have surgery every day and come out just fine. I think being afraid is part of this whole thing too. While you are waiting so many imaginations can run through your mind. You are going to do just fine though.

Try to stay busy, research everything and be informed and try to think positive thoughts. Focus on the positive reports you have heard.

My very best to you, Janet!

Sherry
Unread 01-21-2002, 11:37 AM
PCOS/D & Weight Loss

Hi there

I'm thinking that we'll lose weight. Why? Because we'll FEEL better and be more ABLE to MOVE and exercise. Sound reasonable?

I, too, have PCOS/D and have gained over 70lb's in the last 3 years due to the disease AND my inability to find the energy to move like I used to.

I think the mortality rates for hysterectomies is no more than any other surgery that uses general anasthesia. I've had 4 surgeries, going under, and I'm still here

Here's to :toast: us and feeling MUCH better!

Cyster Ter
Vancouver, BC
Board of Directors, PCOSA of Canada
[email protected], [email protected]
Hysterectomy 02/02/11
Met, Effexor, Herbs & Anti-Candida
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:14 PM
2 odd questions...

I'm not a doctor, but have read quite a lot about PCOS & hysterectomy. It seems likely that oophorectomy will help to alleviate PCOS symptoms, including hirsutism, acne, and (possibly) weight gain. However, there seems to be a growing opinion that PCOS is not caused by the ovaries, but by Insulin Resistance, which then affects the ovaries. If that is the case, neither hysterectomy nor oophorectomy will cure the problem. IR still needs to be managed, otherwise there is a real risk of more serious health complications.

On the other hand, my own experience (even keeping my ovaries) is that I feel so much better and am so much more active since my hyst that it has to be good for my health overall!
Unread 01-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Re: PCOS & IR

Yes, they are finding more and more that Insulin resistance is behind PCOS. I, personally, take 1,500mg of Metformin (an Insulin Sensitizing agent) a day as I'm inches away from Type II Diabetes.
And you don't even have to have cysts on your ovaries to have PCOS; it's a misnomer and confusing at times.

Removing the ovaries (Oopherectomy) won't cure PCOS, nothing will.
It's a disease that you can treat with diet and medication, and have go into remission, but you are never 'cured'. Stop the treatment and the symptoms return, sometimes worse.

A hysterectomy can relieve some of the main symptoms for some Cysters, not all. It's a personal choice based on how much you're suffering and what other options have failed.

Cyster Ter
Vancouver, BC
Board of Directors, PCOSA of Canada
[email protected], [email protected]
Hysterectomy 02/02/11
Met, Effexor, Herbs & Anti-Candida
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:17 PM
My DR said...

He told me that the chance of dying was greater w/ a c-section than w/ a hysterectomy!

I lost 15 lbs mostly because I lost my appetite for several weeks. I no longer need the chocolate like I did.
Unread 01-21-2002, 08:01 PM
2 odd questions...

I had a AH with cervix intact and BSO on Jan. 11. 2002, yes, just 10 days ago and I have lost 9lbs. What a weird experience to go through and still lose weight. I now have 60lbs. to go! Anyway I feel fine except for a few pains and fatigue at times. I do feel better than I did before surgery--maybe because I am not flooding anymore. You will be surprised how thrilled you will be with the results. Hang in there, as the saying goes--"the waiting is the worst part" or course let's not forget the GAS! Thank God it only lasts for a few days and GAS X is my best friend.

Take care and best wishes,

Cindi
Unread 01-21-2002, 10:03 PM
PCOS & Weight Loss

Amen to MsJill & Cyster Ter!! They are exactly right!! I have PCOS myself. I was dx when I had my hyst 12/28 so this is new to me. However, I have researched like crazy and found some really great info about PCOS. There is a website similar to this one that deals with PCOS, the addie is www.soulcysters.com. It has really helped me with understanding this disease and learning how to control it.
I kept my ovaries. I told my doc that if my ovaries were unsalvagable to dump them but if they looked ok to save them. He made the decision to leave them because PCOS is not actually a problem with the ovaries, it justs happens to be something that is affected. It is usually related to Insulin Resistance and can be managed with diet and exercise, but sometimes needs meds.
My prayers and thoughts are with you for your surgery and for a healthy recovery!!!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I will try to help if I can. {[email protected]}

Shay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register