to do or not to do | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

to do or not to do to do or not to do

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:18 PM
to do or not to do

My dr has reccommended a TAH for a large( 6cm) fibroid but I am not all that sure that my symptoms ( heavy bleeeding, Pelvic heaviness) are enough to warrant one. Has anyone had a TAH before being in severe pain and how did you feel about your decision? I don't know if I am just postponing the inevitable and at least now I can plan my date...

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:35 PM
to do or not to do

My fibroids were diagnosed about three years ago. My dr put me on provera 12 days a month to control the bleeding and it worked until October. Then my period started and lasted for 46 days. I went in to see dr, I was severely anemic so I've been taking 150mg of iron 3x day. I had another ultrasound, and since my last one three years ago my uterus has gone from being the size of a 6 week pregnancy to 16 week size. I also have cysts on one ovary. My surgery is scheduled for 2/5. My uterus is pressing on my bladder and I have to go to the bathroom a lot!

If you are unsure, a second (or third) opinion is always a good idea. Also you need to take your age into consideration. Fibroids feed on estrogen, so after menopause they may shrink on their own. If you are close to menopause and your symptons are not too bad, or causing your life to be less than you would like, you may want to hold off and see what happens. If you have a ways to go before menopause there are other options that can be tried, birth control pills can help control the bleeding, myomectomy (removes only the fibroid), or just live with it.

Possibly there is a reason why your dr is recommending a hyst and not trying another course of action. Talk to your dr, your family, read as much as you can here, and definitely go for that second opinion! This is your decision to make and unless it is an emergency you need to take your time and make sure it's the right decision for you. Hysterectomy is permanent!

Hope this helps
  #3  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:37 PM
to do or not to do

I was about in the same boat you are - bleeding so bad I was housebound, with bad cramps, but nothing like I've heard some women describe. Still, it brought my life (and business) to a dead stop much of the time. I don't regret a thing about having a hyst - except having to wait so long for one.

Only you can decide if it's "worth it" for you though. Try comparing the days you might expect to suffer between now and menopause, and compare that to (about) 56 days for TAH recovery. Mine worked out to something like 3+ solid years woth of days of misery (assuming I didn't get any worse!) vs. 8 weeks. Try writing a pros-cons list, too - that can help clarify things.

Read my "hystory" (below), and see if that rings any bells with you, too.

Best of luck with your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:46 PM
to do or not to do

Hi Sandy! I really wasn't in terrible pain when I had my hysterectomy...however, I bled for 4 months straight with a possible 2-3 days off. Doctors recommend hysterectomies for different reasons and they factor in many things. In my case, my age played a big part (49 at the time of my hysterectomy), the lining of my uterus was very thick, very heavy bleeding, abnormal pap smears, hyperplasia, etc., etc. Your doctor will factor alot of things into his recommendation and then it is up to you to research all of your options and alternatives and to weigh all the pros and cons. You may even wish to get a second opinion. Here are some links that may be helpful to you:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=29372

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=4

I hope these help you in making the best decision for YOU! Please keep us posted...

s

Sherry
  #5  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:49 PM
to do or not to do

I am also in the same boat as you. One of my fibroids is 6.2 cm causing heavy bleeding (I became anemic), cramping, clotting with much pelvic pressure. I feel and look like I am pregnant (this I cannot stand). I have also wondered if my symptoms are severe enough to warrant a hysterectomy. I have given this a lot of thought and the closer my surgery day gets the more nervous I get. It is something each and every one of us must decide for ourselves and yes, it is a big decision. I agree, if you are not sure then you should get a second and even a third opinion. I tried the birth control pill (which did not help) and I also got a D and C. With the D and C the bleeding has been a little better but not much. I wish you the best of luck in your decision - you will make the correct one for you. Cathy
  #6  
Unread 01-21-2002, 03:49 PM
an alternative for fibroids

You might want to check out a procedure called Uterine Artery Embolization. It's a lot less drastic than a hysterectomy. A radiologist uses contrast dye to locate the arteries that are feeding your fibroid(s) and then injects tiny inert pellets into those arteries through a small incision in the upper thigh. The blood supply to the arteries is choked off, and the fibroids shrink, sometimes 50% in size. If you type uterine artery embolization into a search engine, you'll get all kinds of info. Plus there's a very helpful group you can subscribe to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/embo/

I was planning to do a UAE, but the radiologist had me get an MRI, which revealed that my real problem is adenomyosis, for which I'm getting a hyst tomorrow!

Best wishes, whatever you end up doing!

- Flo
  #7  
Unread 01-22-2002, 09:47 AM
No fibroids, no endo

just way out of whack hormones that refused to be controlled chemically. Excessive bleeding, constant bleeding, massive clots. D&C showed nothing else wrong, but had three D&C's over the course of this nonsense and none of them really helped me.

Doc offered ablation or hyst. I opted for hyst, personally didn't trust an ablation to stop the problem. SAH 9/21/01. No more back pain, no more soaking thru everything with 15 minutes, no more bleeding after intercourse, no more bleeding 20 days straight.

My hormones are still way over the edge, but it doesn't bother me very often because I feel good for a change.

Are things perfect? Well - its taking a LONG time to feel 100% normal again (4 months yesterday), plus since I still have a cervix I have had some cyclical spotting. The "big o" is very different for me (from what I have read it isn't for most people) and I seem to be slow to adjust to the change.

Would I still have the surgery, if I had it to do over again?

YES YES YES YES


Think about it, make an informed decision with input from your doctor. Can't change your mind once its all over.

Good luck.
  #8  
Unread 01-22-2002, 10:07 AM
Know how you feel

Sandy, I know how you feel. I have several large fibroids and my uterus is now the size of a 17 week pregnancy. I held off on the Hyst decision for over a year. Had one scheduled in Sept. 2000 and cancelled. Had one D&C two years ago which helped briefly. However, since then the fibroids have grown, and bleeding is heavy and often. I am sick of always feeling crampy bloated, and in pain. I considered the embolization but after doing the research, I decided that with since my fibroids are so large, and they won't shrink completely, and two doctors told me pain could be worse than hyst. I decided to have the works removed. I am going to try and keep my cervix, but if the doc finds any fibroids in cervical area that will go too. I am going to keep one ovary. I am 44, and don't want to wait for menopause to feel better. Surgery set for 2/8.

Wishing you all the best.
Sue
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

September 19,2020

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement