Fatigue meltdown | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fatigue meltdown Fatigue meltdown

Unread 01-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Fatigue meltdown

I've been having fatigue problems for years and it's only gotten worse. I've been to so many doctors and alternative care professionals, no one has really been able to figure out why. I have a huge fibroid that's been causing back pain for more than a year. I also still have 8 day periods (age 47) and for several of those days have to wear overnight pads during the day. (That's not nearly as heavy as some of you, but still.)

My hyst (keeping ovaries and cervix) is scheduled for February 12. Basically, I'm feeling really great about it, and think it will solve the fatigue problem, not to mention the back pain, etc.

But...although I know I need the surgery regardless, I'm really afraid it won't solve the fatigue problem. If that happens, I'll be in big trouble.

I'm just starting to really realize how bad the fatigue has been. Especially in the last few months since I tore a ligament in my foot (thank you, I needed something else wrong with my body!), I have been so, so tired. I went to a support meeting this morning for an hour. I found I kept leaning over to prop my head on my arms because I didn't have the energy to sit up straight. On good days, I have about 2-3 hours of energy before I'm exhausted.

I have so much to do before the surgery, and, luckily, I don't have any responsibilities in terms of taking care of other people, but even so, asking for help is so incredibly hard. Even though I know I need it.

Feeling this tired, everything seems hard. Including, I tried to get in the chat room and downloaded the Instant Messenger, but then it kept telling me my password I had just put in was incorrect. Even when I tried saying I had forgotten my password, it still said that! Aaagh! I gave up on it.

I think I'm afraid to really acknowledge that there is something seriously wrong with my body. I know that's crazy; I'm about to have major surgery, for heaven's sake! Even so, I have this unhealthy fantasy that if I don't see the depth of the fatigue, it won't exist.

While talking with my friend today, I told her I was really afraid of being an invalid. She looked at me. "Honey," she said, "basically you are an invalid." Meaning my body is having so much trouble these days, it's not possible for me to be leading a normal life.

I've been kind of all over the place with this message, but I guess I just wanted to check in and get a little support. And, has anyone else had extreme fatigue helped with this surgery?

Thank you to everyone. I deeply appreciate this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Fatigue meltdown

So glad you are here....I know just how you feel.

I had huge fibroids for years...and I had no idea that my fatigue and chronic "blah-ness" was tied to the fibroids until I got here and started reading other people's tales of fibroid-itis!

There's even a "term" for it....FIBROID-TIRED!! Of course, this is not a "real" medical term, but so many women here have experienced this that maybe it ought to be!!

I honestly don't know if the surgery will eliminate all of your fatigue, and of course you can expect alot of fatigue post-op (a normal part of the healing process), but I know that at 10 months post-op, I have about 90% of my old energy back. I still get tired, mind you, but it's NOTHING like it was. Additionally, I am now taking my supplements faithfully rather than haphazardly like before, which I think is also helping a great deal.

My bottom line was YES, I FEEL BETTER!!! This surgery was a major life-enhancing one for me. Not everyone has the same outcome, but I can tell you that for this gal, "fibroid-tired" is a thing of the past. So, I might add, is "having-to-pee-every-five-minutes" and "bleeding-my-brains-out"....all good things.

I hope you have the same good experience! Keep reading, don't give up on IM, and hang in there !!!!

s can't get us hystersisters down!!

Karen
Unread 01-22-2002, 07:12 AM
Fatigue meltdown

Oh I know exactly what you mean... the fatigue is a biggie.. I have had days when it was too much trouble to walk from the parking lot into the grocery store, so I just drove on by and made supper out of the freezer.

Ask your doctor about your iron levels. As soon as I started taking iron supplements the fatigue lifted some. I'm not 100%, but am feeling much much better. And you want your iron levels as high as possible before surgery. Just be sure to check with your doctor.. don't take iron supplements unless he/she recommends it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register