Nervous in SC | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous in SC Nervous in SC

Unread 01-22-2002, 04:29 PM
Nervous in SC

I am 35 years old with two children. I have had heavy periods for almost 5 years. These heavy periods cause my hemoglobin to be low. I must say I do not have alot of pain with my periods but the heavy bleeding along with the fibroids have caused problems. I am scheduled to have surgery on Jan 29. I am so nervous. I am feeling like my problem is really not bad enough to have surgery since I do not suffer with pain. My main problem is the fatigue due to the low hemoglobin. I am nervous and would like to hear from others who might have felt the same as the day approached and is there anyone who suffered with low hemoglobin. Did you notice a big difference in your energy level after the hysterectomy? I am having only my uterus taken.

RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Me too!

I'm 31(32 in April), have 2 girls ages 9 and 5 and I too, have wondered if my problems are enough to be having the hyst.! I have heavy bleeding which has caused me to be anemic, but the bleeding is nothing compared to what some of the other women have experienced! My main problem is pain. Severe knifelike pain where I imagine my left ovary is. It is extremely bad during the first 2 days of my period to where I am bedbound and heavy doses of extra strength tylenol don't even help anymore. I also have pelvic pain in the very same area during other times of the month, too. My doctor suspects Adenomyosis and will be taking the left ovary during my TAH. I have 2nd, 3rd , 10th guessed myself and probably will until it's over! Everyone that I have talked to has told me that I have enough of a reason and just because I'm not bleeding to death or bedbound all month, is no reason to have to live with this pain at any time. I don't think that we have to be nearly dead in order to have a surgery that could help us have a more fullfilling life later down the road. This whole thing is very hard and I have had really bad crying jags today. I have a doctor whom I trust with my life and I don't think he would perform this surgery on me if he didn't feel I had a good reason and would be better for it. We are our own worst enemies, I think. Some of the stories here have scared the *rap outta me, but it seems to me that MOST women come through this surgery feeling very happy they did it. I have to remind myself of the good that will come out of this or I will end up cancelling this thing all together.

I must admit, I AM SCARED!!!!!! =o(
Unread 01-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Nervous in SC

I too am very nervous about my surgery. My hemoglobin was at 4.8 when I was admitted to the hospital on Dec 19th. I had to have 2 units of blood. I was very tired and weak most of the time but I thought that's what Mom's are (I have 2 boys, 9 and 11). My Dr. put me in Iron and we got my hemoglobin up to 12.6. I was scheduled to have my surgery on Jan 14th, but my Dr's sister died and we had to reschedule. We then scheduled it for Jan 21st, by then I had had another period and a sinus infection and a cold. The Drs felt it would be too risky to put me under general at this time plus my hemoglobin was at 10.3 after my period, so we had to reschedule again! I don't have a new date, we have to see how the sinus infection, the cold and the hemoglobin are before we can reschedule. I understand how you feel about not needing the surgery sinc eyou don't have much pain. Because I have had soo much time to reconsider my decision, I too am thinking maybe I don't need the surgery but on the other hand, I know this is the cure for all my problems. I want to get it over with and get on with a normal life. I can't answer your question about the engery level after surgery but I can tell you that when my hemoglobin is up I can tell a great difference.
Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Nervous in SC

Hi, I seen your post and know exactly how you feel!! I am now 6 months post op and was having some of the problems you are having. I am 32 yr old mother of 3.I have to say it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I feel so much better. No more accidents at work or in public, no more waking up in the morning soaked, no more feeling like someone has taken all my energy! I was very scared before my surgery and now I think back and say why! My prayers are with you and good luck!
Unread 01-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Nervous in SC

Hi!! I didnt have pain, but my periods were horrible and I was also very anemic. I suffered for 2 years and even though my family doc and my gyn suggested that I have a hysterectomy, I thought it would get better and I could manage without having surgery. One Sunday morning I woke up literally bleeding like I was hemorraging and decided I had had enough. Made an appt with my gyn and scheduled surgery that day. I never looked back. I have to say that I feel about 110% better. I have energy because I am not loosing huge amounts of blood every month. It has really turned my life around and my only regret is that I didnt go ahead and do it when I was advised to. Oh, I had never had surgery either, so like everyone else, I was wondering what to expect. It was not at all what I expected. The pain was very tolerable and I did move slow for a while, but after those first few weeks, away I went and I havent slowed down yet!!
Best of luck to you in your decisions. Its scary, but once you have it done, you will be so glad you did. Your kids will wonder why mommy is so happy and full of energy!!
Unread 01-22-2002, 09:19 PM
I dont have that much pain

When I first came to this site I was doubtful that I deserved to have a hysterectomy since I wasn't in a lot of pain. You dont have to be on deaths door to deserve and need this surgery. Some advice I recieved from others was to make a list of pros and cons to the surgery and also any physical complaints---you might well be surprized how much is happening to your body because of the heavy peroids, fibroids, cystic ovaries, endo etc. Pain is not the only parameter used to warrent a hysterectomy. Well enough from me--I am scheduled for a LAVH-BSO, A&P repair with bladder neck sling on 1-29-02---yes I am nervous. Prayers to you all.
Peggy
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Nervous in SC

I thank you so much for the responses regarding my situation. I must say I do feel better knowing that there are other ladies that are going through the same thing as myself. It finally hit me that I am not alone. I am scheduled to have surgery 1-29-02. Though I am nervous due to the fact that I am not wanting my ovaries removed. I have expressed this with my doctor. I think the unknown is what is scary but I do appreciate the supportive comments and each of you sharing your stories. Now that I am only a few days from the surgery. What things should I being doing to prepare? My family depends on me a great deal so what advice as far as preparation so that I can recover without alot of unnecessary confusion?

THANKS SO MUCH!! Keep me in your prayers.
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:43 PM
SAME DATE!!!

THE FIRST TIME I WENT IN FOR MY HYST. WAS IN DEC.2001. JUST TO HAVE MY UTERUS TAKEN, MY DR. SAID THAT MY OVARIES WERE FINE AND LOOKED HEALTHY. THEN I STARTED HAVING VERY BAD PAIN ON MY LOWER LEFT SIDE, WHICH THEN MOVED TO BEING ON BOTH SIDES....

SO, HE HAD A ULTRASOUND TAKEN... WHICH SHOWED I HAD DEVLOPED LOTS OF CYSTS ON BOTH...

SO, ON THE 29TH THOSE WILL BE REMOVED!!!

I WAS NERVOUS THE FIRST TIME ALSO, BUT THIS TIME I THINK ITS A LOT WORST... BEING THAT I'VE HAD 3 C-SECTIONS AND THE FIRST HYST. AND NOW THIS ONE, THAT MAKES 5 TIMES... 6 IF YOU INCLUDE HAVING A D & C DONE!!!!

GOOD LUCK AND I'LL BE THINKING OF YOU AND ALL THE REST OF MY SISTERS GOING IN ON THE 29TH...

I DID FEEL MUCH BETTER AFTER HAVING IT DONE, AFTER THE HEALING PROCESS... THAT IS!!!

ALISA

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register