Apt today didnt go great, bad day | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Apt today didnt go great, bad day Apt today didnt go great, bad day

Unread 01-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Apt today didnt go great, bad day

This is a pitty me story right now,
DD told me today that "If you were my mother I would tell her to leave them in" (Ovaries)
So even tho there is OCancer in my family history he thinks I should leave them because I am 37. Said that the HRT cause more of a risk for Breast Cancer. I have never heard this. My mothers response when I relayed this to her was "To H--- with his mother what would he tell his WIFE to do". I trust my doc, but I don't think I can live with the threat of OC being there. I worry about everything and probably a little compulsive about worrying. But takin ghormones for the rest of life isn't sounding that great either. I have friends that have gone thru this and ones younger then me that are on hrt have no problems Feel great. I have read and researched till my head is trobbing. He said" it's up to you but......."
And I have an IVP test for in the morning to see why I am having phantom gall bladder attaks and he wants me to have abladder test done. Can't remember the name, He is putting a catheter in to see how long I can hold it for I think. He talked about doing the bladder sling when I have my surgery.
Can you tell I am freaked out? I am bleeding like a squished tomatoe truck, I am cramping, my back hurts and now I am stuck here waitng for this stupid prep test to do its job. I had to drink that lovely stuff then I had to take 3 pills, I Haven't had this much bowel activity in my whole life.And my DH is being a complete idiot.
Ok, I'm sorry for temper, I am just losing it. A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 06:51 PM
o cancer

Hi Iam not a Dr but...When I had my surgery I was 45 and told the dr it was a all or nothing surgery.My mom died of ovarian cancer and its not a pretty picture so it was no doubt what to do with those overies.However when he got in ther tthey were so full of endo and adhered to the wall that they werent savable any way.I have done quite well on hormones.Just remember itts your body and your decision.I look at it as one less thing to worry about.
Unread 01-22-2002, 07:45 PM

I am not to good at talking to other people and trying to make them feel better, but I think I would feel the same as you if I had gotten all this information that you listed. I don't know a whole lot about the leaving the ovaries making it less likely to get breast cancer, but from what I've heard ovarian cancer is very hard to detect, if I had a family history of that I would go ahead and have them taken out . From what I've heard and know it is easier to tell if you have breast cancer and it is not as life threatening if you keep on top of it. But then I'm not a doctor, I would think very seriously to getting a second opinion. Listen to your heart, and God will guide you, keep your chin up.....everyone at this website is with you, this is a wonderful site for support and guidance.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 08:02 PM

I'm so sorry you had such a bad day. Is this a doctor you have gone to for awhile and who knows your history? With your family history of ovarian cancer I'm surprised at his theory on this. Perhaps you should go for a second opinion. Or since he is leaving this up to you just go aheas and tell him you would like them taken out. I understand that you are young to have to go on HRT, but I would be very concerned about ovarian cancer. I will include the HORMONE JUNGLE link here for you. You may want to talk to the ladies over there about HRT. They know alot and will be able to give you some good info.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for....php?forumid=5

Hope this helps! You are in my thoughts and prayers... s

Sherry
Unread 01-23-2002, 04:15 AM
Your decison

The decision to keep your ovaries or not is a big one alright. It is one only you can make the final decision on. I am 47 and decided that I wanted them babies gone, but that is because I did not want to risk more surgery later and I was not far from menopause at any rate. Good Luck with making this very personal decision. Hope tomorrow is a better day for u. Stop in chat if get a chance, the ladies there are a wonderful source of info as well as support.
Unread 01-23-2002, 04:42 AM
Thank you

I have been sitting on the potty all night (IVP PREP) YUCK I haven't had much sleep. How am suppose to be at hospital in 1 hour if I can go 3 minuts without going to the bathroom. AHHHHHHHH
But I do know I have 8 days to decide on the ovaries. My mom started taking hormones when she was 44 -45, she started early menapuse naturally. I have read the hormone jungle and that gets me more confused. I just don't know what to do. But will keep praying and reading. And reading.
Kim
Unread 01-23-2002, 05:19 AM

s Kim!

Looks like I missed you before you go for your IVP. I hope all goes well for you!

I'm sure this is so frustrating for you having to decide about your ovaries. While the ovaries do protect you in many ways better than hrt can, sometimes they can also be more of a danger if you have a family hx of OC. Is there any history of breast cancer in your family? Have your mother/sisters had OC? If it's been more immediate family with breast cancer and distant relatives with ovarian, that could be one reason your dr wants you to keep them. Otherwise, with the family history of OC, I'd want my ovaries taken just to be on the safe side, but that's just me. I wish you lots of luck in making your decision and can come to one soon that you feel at peace with.
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:12 AM

Hi Kim!

I hope the IVP goes well for you today, I know hon those preps sure aren't a whole lot of fun.

I was wondering on the issue of keeping the ovaries or not, have you considered consulting with a Gyn Oncologist? They may be able to give you more insight on what your risk factors might be since this is their specialty.

The decision of keeping the ovaries or not, especially when you have a family history of OVCA in your family makes is even more difficult. I wish you the best in your decision and hope you'll be able to make one that will bring you peace of mind.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:00 AM

Yes I have thougth of that and the I can't get an appt in to see before Feb 1. I still feel in my heart the right thing is to take them out the more I talk to my friends that have gone thru this they and my mother and 2nd moms all are in agreement. And if my doc has a problem with that then he's not much of a DD. I still have time to soul search.
You all are wonderful even when I'm not being!
Kim
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:44 AM
Hope all went well with your test today!

Hi Osotired,

Love your screen name!!! I am osotired too. I am currently on the fence whether to keep or loose the ovaries.

My doc is all for taking them out, I have a very strong family hx of every type of cancer, except ovarian. Because my mother had breast cancer and her sister died from it I would prefer to keep the ovaries if they appear healthy. My mom was post menopausal when she developed cancer and has been unable to take HRT, however, she was fortunate to breeze thru menopause
with very minimal discomfort........

So I remain on the fence too............and have no wisdom for you except that I understand how hard this decision is for you........

Hope you are feeling better now that the test is over!!!

Keep posting and reading, I think it may be what is keeping me together.........and its cheaper that therapy!!!!! LOL!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register