Spinal anaesthetic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal anaesthetic Spinal anaesthetic

Unread 01-23-2002, 03:26 AM
Spinal anaesthetic

Has anyone undergone a hysterectomy with a spinal anaesthetic? I would be so grateful if you could let me know how you recovered and if you suffered any side effects. Any information about this would be gratefully received.

Also anyone with Dystonia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome who has had a hysterectomy. I would be very interested to know if it has alleviated any of the symptoms. Thank you all so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 06:23 AM
Spinal anaesthetic

Hi!

I had my surgery on Nov 7 with a spinal and I am so glad that I did. I wanted to be awake and watch the surgery. My doctor and anesthesiologist both worked with me and were able to let me have my choices (sometimes things just don't work out and they still have to give you a general).

I also had morphine in the spinal injection, and I was worried about nausea due to the morphine. The anesthesiologist gave me meds for nausea in my IV from the start as a precaution.

I had no pain during the surgery at all....but you CAN feel the sensation of tugging or pressure. It doesn't hurt, but you should be aware so that you don't think the anesthesia is wearing off. If you don't want to be awake, they can give you some "sleepy" or "groggy" meds in your IV to help you sleep or relax.

As for recovery....I was in the recovery room for about 40 minutes. Once the feeling in my legs came back I was wheeled to my room. I still felt nauseas and would throw up (even though I wasn't eating or drinking yet). This was due to the lingering morphine. I still didn't have any pain until the next day. Once I was on another pain med, the nausea went away.

Perhaps the best benefit of the spinal was that I had no gas. I know that some women who have a spinal may have gas, but I was very lucky. Without the general, you don't have all that stuff to work out of your system.

I was very happy with my spinal! If you have any questions feel free to email me!

If you want to see some pictures from my surgery (the anesthesiologist took them for me) see: www.birchbarkstudio.com/SurgPhotos.html --- there is a picture during the surgery, one of the enlarged uterus after it was removed, and a picture from the pathology lab showing the insides and the huge fibroid (Don't look if you are squeamish).

I hope all goes well for you!

Karyn
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:32 AM
Spinal anaesthetic

I know someone who had a spinal with her TAH/BSO, they also kept her medicated so that she was relaxed. She had fibroids. She healed amazingly quick and was happy with her decision not to have a general. She feels great now too. I think you have to have a general if your hyst is done by laprascope, but you would have to ask a doctor about that as this is just something that one of my doctors told me. Wishing you all the best with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:12 PM
Spinal anaesthetic

Hi, Bobby,

I had a TVH/BSO under spinal anesthesia. I'd had problems with general anesthesia in the past, and the anesthesiologist suggested this option to me. I DID NOT want to be aware of what was going on during my surgery!

In the preop area, the anesthesiologist injected "something to help me relax" into my IV. Next, I woke up in the recovery room.

I don't remember having the spinal catheter placed, I remember nothing about the surgery, and I don't remember having the spinal catheter removed, either.

After I woke up, I had no nausea or vomiting, no headache, and no sore throat. I did itch (from the type of morphine used in the spinal anesthesia,) but the itching was quickly relieved with IV benadryl in recovery. When I did wake up, I was numb from the knees down. I quickly regained sensation in my feet, and I was ready to walk when I arrived on the floor.

With spinal anesthesia, you have the option of being aware during the surgery, or of being unaware.

This was the easiest surgical experience I ever had, because of the spinal anesthesia.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
princessh
Unread 01-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Spinal anaesthetic

I had a tah/bso on December 28th with a combination of a spinal and a general. I had some nausea afterwards (probably from the general), but the pain quotient was never bad and always controllable by medication. My anesthesiologist (handpicked by a doctor friend of mine who is an anesthesiologist at the same hospital) recommended the spinal because it really helps with the pain during the first 24 hours. I have had a great recovery.
Unread 01-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Spinal anaesthetic

I had a tah/bo on 1/7 with a spinal with morphine in it and general. They gave me a choice, but told me that the spinal would last for the first 24 hours and that would greatly cut down on the pain. I was totally asleep, and woke up in the recovery room. I did have some nausea, but I think it was more from nerves than the medicine. I seem to get nausea anytime I am nervous. I am on my third week, and I have only had to have 7 pain pills. I would ask for the same again if I ever have surgery.

It is definally something to ask your doctor about.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register