Surgery in 9 days and I have all the symptoms of coming down with a cold! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 9 days and I have all the symptoms of coming down with a cold! Surgery in 9 days and I have all the symptoms of coming down with a cold!

Unread 01-23-2002, 05:51 AM
Surgery in 9 days and I have all the symptoms of coming down with a cold!

UGH! I bought vitamin C, all kinds of juices, and I'm taking decongestant. So far its just the tiniest bit of congestion, which could also be allergies, since things are warming up and getting moist again, but GRRRRR! The last thing I want to do is postpone this thing...I'm a wreck as it is, and I want to get this over with!

Anybody have any suggestions for beating a cold quick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 06:00 AM

First of all check with your dr this close to surgery to make you don't take something that may cause your surgery to be postponed. Stay away from zinc and euchenicea(sp).

My husband swears by green tea. I personally hate the stuff. I take alka seltzer plus at the first sign of the sniffles or scratchy throat and quite often it seems to wipe it out.

Wash your hands frequently, drink plenty of liquids, eat chicken soup, and rest as much as possible.

Good luck.
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:11 AM

Kathy,

(((((Kathy))))))

That's chat room talk for "hugs for Kathy".....

I too felt like I was coming down with a cold right before my surgery in November. I was so worried about it! I think some of the nervousness, sleeplessness, etc before surgery contributes. Try to rest, and of course, the "wash your hands often" suggestion is always a big help.

If you continue to have symptoms or get sick, be sure to stay in close touch with your dr. Even over-the-counter drugs/herbs can affect your body in ways that the dr can counsel you about prior to surgery.

I hope all goes well....and if you need a place to chill out in while you are waiting, come join us in the chat room!

s
Karyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 07:05 AM

Kathy,

When I had my surgery in November, I went into it with a "slight" cold.

I had a little coughing and nasal congestion, nothing terribly bad. The doctors had no problem doing the surgery, in fact, I felt better after the surgery, maybe it was those high dose antibiotics.

Definitely try all the suggestions the other sisters have given you, but as your date approaches and you still feel like you have a cold, ask your doctor, he still may do the surgery if you are not running a fever or have congestion in your chest, etc.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Deja Vu

Kathy, Just want you to know there is hope. I got a cold on the 4th of January with my surgery scheduled for the 14th. I hotfooted it to my GP on the 7th. I'm an asthmatic too. He put me on my bronchodialators and I loaded up with vitamin C went home and told the world to go away and basically willed myself better. Anyway, the long and short of it is that I was doing very well on the morning of the 14th and everything went off as planned. I had called my gyno/surgeon during the week of the 7th and informed them of the situation and they said they would amend the anesthesia if necessary but show up anyway. I went for my preop on the 10th and was cleared then for general anesthesia. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I know I found many others who sounded a lot worse than me when I posted my plea with my cold. That, alone, made me feel better. Cheer up! You'll be fine.
Unread 01-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Surgery postponed

Kathy,

I was scheduled to have a TAH on Monday, Jan 21st. I did all the preop prep and arrived at the hospital at 6 am on Mon morn. The nurse ran though some routine pre surgery questions one of which was what meds if any I was on. I have a sinus infection and a cold and am taking augmentin. When I told her that she immediately said the drs may have to postpone my surgery. I was devastated! The drs came and said the reasons to postponed where the increased risk of infection in my lungs. I am thankful that I have drs who are very concerned about my total well being but was very disappointed that the surgery had to be rescheduled. On the positive side, my fears have subsided and now I just want to get it done and behind me so I can get on with my life!

Drink plenty of fluids (it will get you in practice for post op) and try to get plenty of rest (boring when you don't feel bad and you know that post op, that's all you will be able to do).

Good luck and my prayers are with you,
Cyntha
Unread 01-23-2002, 10:52 AM

I too am 9 days pre-op. I don't have a cold or any cold symptoms (knock on wood) but EVERYONE around me has a cold! I'm taking a multi-vitamin, bioflavonoids and extra Vitamin C. I take a 500 mg. Vit. C tablet at lunch and another at supper. They make me have to pee and probably add to my abdominal pain, but it's worth it for the extra protection. Dr. said just don't take any vitamins the morning of the surgery.

Here's to us both staying cold-free!

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Me too...

I started feeling bad Chrismtas Day, but never got really sick. Just on and off again sinus-like congestion/stuffy-runny nose/sneezing/minor cough& sore throat. Both my DD andDH have had awful coughing and head cold-like problems, much worse than mine. I also work in retail and have been constantly exposed to many sick staff and customers. My TAH is 6 days away, now... I called my surgeon last Friday with my concerns and he told me to see my internist this week if I wasn't 100%...which I did today - he diagnosed a sinus infection and put me on anitbiotics and predicted no problems for my 1/29 surgery.

Call your MD with ANY concerns and listen to your body. Drink lots and rest lots...take care of yourself. The previous posts have lots of great tips. I hope that everything goes great for you! Stay in touch here and let us know how things go.

Janet

Unread 01-23-2002, 01:24 PM

The average cold lasts 10 days. By day 9 you should almost be over it. Unless there is lung involvement or it is a very bad cold, most doctors wouldn't cancel. But, do check with your surgeons office before taking any medicine as some of them may be risky with infections or anesthesia. I had a cold at about the same time before my surgery and just treated with a lot of liquids, many of them hot. It seemed to do the trick and I was completely fine by the day of surgery.
Unread 01-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Bearzzzzzzz

How's your cold?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register