AGC, ASCUS, nabothian cysts on ultrasound? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

AGC, ASCUS, nabothian cysts on ultrasound? AGC, ASCUS, nabothian cysts on ultrasound?

Unread 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
AGC, ASCUS, nabothian cysts on ultrasound?

In the beginning of June, I had a pap smear come back AGC-endocervical and ASCUS. On June 20, I had an ultrasound because I have had very heavy periods. The ultrasound report said that I had 3 cysts on my enlarged (61 mm) left ovary, one of which was a hemmorhagic (15 mm x 15 mm) cyst, a smaller simple cyst and a suspected corpus luteum. My uterus had three fibroids of varying size and my cervix was normal. My doc had me come in for colposcopy, ECC, and endometrial biopsy in the beginning of July. All three were negative. She then decided to have me do a follow up ultrasound in August for the ovary, and do a repeat pap in 6 months. I went for the ultrasound yesterday, and found the hemmorhagic cyst to now be 30 mm x 30 mm. The fibroids in my uterus were the same, but now they say my cervix has nabothian cysts, which I know Are benign. But, what if what they are seeing on my cervix aren't nabothian cysts at all? What if it is some kind of precancerous change that the ECC missed? Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? What was the outcome?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Re: AGC, ASCUS, nabothian cysts on ultrasound?

I had a similar situation except for my paps were all normal. I was having panic attacks and knew something was not right. I was bleeding after intercourse but my doc was not concerned as all my paps had been normal. Went for ultrasound and discovered a complex ovarian cyst. Repeat ultrasound after menses and it was gone. Uterus, cervix, everything else clear. Three months later had 5 cm tumor on cervix, endocervical adenosquamous carcinoma. I would think to follow up with D&C for confirmation. Colposcopies can miss cancers that start further up on the cervix. Good luck.
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Is that how they found your tumor? On D & C? What made them concerned enough to start looking? I think if my gym says lets do a total hysterectomy, I would say how soon. I am done having kids" and I am tired of freaking out in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM

I don't know if my condition is really similar to yours, but I had paps showing AGUS, and never any indication of cancer (my doctor sent my paps through pathology)

After an ECC, colposcopies, an endometrial biopsy, and transvaginal ultrasound (all normal) I finally had a hysterectomy.

Upon visual inspection, my uterus looked normal, but after the pathology report, we found that I had a very small but very aggressive (grade 3) cancerous polyp, less than 1/2 cm, hidden between the inner and outer walls of the uterus.

I'm glad my doctor was persistent and insisted on a hysterectomy. I had everything removed, including my tubes, cervix and ovaries. Everything else was ok, but in light of what was found, I'm glad she removed everything. AGUS paps can be an indication of something hidden.

Is your doctor a gynocological oncologist? If not, it could be very important to have a second opinion by one.
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Sandy,
My tumor became visible. I had been having symptoms for a year. The D&C I had was to confirm pathologically. I wish I had just been sent to a gyn/onc when noticed. Even the ultrasound I had done after the tumor was visible was inconclusive and only showed a small shadow on my cervix, but nothing that was penetrating. My tumor was exophytic and grew along the outside of my cervix and not very deep within the tissue. Although after surgery it was found to have lymph/vascular space invasion and was already in my lymph nodes.
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:57 PM

sunflash-my pap indicated AGC-endocervical, so theoretically, there would be something going on in the endocervix. In my mind, because I also had ASCUS, there must be something going on where the two types of cells meet. (notice, I said in MY MIND). I do have an appt with a surgical gyn on Monday, at Mayo Clinic. They told me that this is also the starting place for suspected cancer workup.

ccfighter- that is crazy how fast yours grew! That is the very reason that I am so freaked out about the Nabothian cysts that they just saw on the last ultrasound! i read some article somewhere that said they could be mistaken for adenocarcinoma. Why do I all of the sudden have cervical cysts coincidentally after a abnormal pap?!

I expected my regular OB/Gyn to call me back this afternoon to discuss my latest ultrasound findings. Now I am all weirded out because I asked the office staff yesterday to send copies of my medical records and my lab slides to Mayo. To get the release of the actual tissue from my regular Gyn's lab, they had to get her to sign a release form. I am so paranoid in my head that she is upset with me for that, that she is not going to call me back. I am sure it is all in my head, because yesterday was her day off, and she probably had a lot of catching up to do. So many things to worry about! Sometimes I drive myself nuts....
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM

hi sandy

i can totally understand why you're freaking out. i got a hsil pap result and have nebothian cysts. i'm booked for a lletz this coming monday. the gyno didn't even do a biopsy during the colposcopy because he reckoned the abnormal area was too large to bother and he couldn't see the transition zone (i'm assuming because of the cysts).

anyway, that's where i'm at right now, and i'm freaking out even without the other stuff you've got going on. you must be very scared and confused. i feel for you and hope you find some comfort from the lovely ladies here on this site.

*big hugs* hang in there. you've got a lot going on at the moment. remember to be gentle with yourself and just breath.

kay
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM

Kay,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Please let us know how everything goes on Monday.
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:26 PM

My regular ob just called this evening to tell me my follow up ultrasound was concerning her. She wants to get a look at my ovary as soon as the 22nd. I told her that I was freaking about the agc pap, and that I had made a appointment at mayo for a 2nd opinion on Monday. She was very nice about it.

I am very alarmed, I just stArted bleeding heavily at least a week before my period is due. Monday cannot come fast enough...
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:13 AM

i'd be very alarmed too, to get a call like that, but try to not let it get the better of you. all i can do is send you big warm cyber hugs and positive, hopeful thoughts. know that you will get through this, no matter how desperate and awful it feels right now. sometimes all we can do is take a deep breath, hold on tight and go along for the ride, whether we like it or not. monday will be here before you know it, and hopefully you will get some answers then.

while i was researching hsil, i found that there can be a squillion different reasons for false positives of abnormal results. it could be that something benign somewhere is skewing your results. things don't always turn out to be the worst case scenario. in fact, in my experiences, the worst case scenario rarely actually happens. try not to panic too much until you know for a fact there is anything to panic about (i know, much MUCH easier said than done).

you have done absolutely the right thing booking at the mayo and it means that you'll have a resolution much quicker than relying on the public system. hang in there *big squishy warm hugz*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register