Scar Question and Body Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scar Question and Body Questions Scar Question and Body Questions

Unread 01-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Scar Question and Body Questions

Hi. I am new here. I am supposed to have a hys. Feb 13, but leaving ovaries.

My concern is the scar. Can people tell me how bad it is? I am wanting to back out if it leaves some hideous scar. That may sound vain but I have reasons I do not wish to go into here.

I have adnosis I think it is called. My uterus is way larger than normal because riddled with endometriosis.

Does it change one's body appearance? Someone told me it make the other organs cave in or some weird thing because of the empty spot. Are people generally happier they had this operation?

I am terrified beyond terrified. Sex is painful but I almost don't care I am so scared.

Thank you. AnastasiaRose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 02:21 PM

I think the scar depends on what type of cut you're having. I am having the "bikini" cut with my hyst.. I had 2 c-sections with the same cut and the scar is barely noticable. I also have a very skilled doctor, though, who takes pride in his work and tries to minimize scarring. This cut will be my 3rd over the very same scar and I'm not worried in the least. My MIL had hers done with the vertical(belly button to pubic bone cut)cut and even hers is very minimal. It really depends on how YOU scar, the cut you have, the skill of the doctor, ect. Will this be your first surgery? How do you scar up in general, cuts ect.?

s to you!
Unread 01-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Scar

Thank you for replying so quick. I think I heal o.k. but it depends. I do not have a lot of thick public hair. I have had little laperoscopy scars that are not noticeable. If it was like that I would say go for it.

How many inches is your scar? And what about a vaginal hysterectomy? I just read about that.

I am going to grill my doctor before he lays a hand on me. I think he is a superior doctor so I am assuming he will try to do least amount of damage.

Thanks! AnastasiaRose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 02:36 PM
My scar is minimal

Hi,

I have a lateral incision, which at 13 weeks is simply a dark line. My dr pulled my skin very tight when he stapled it, so that prevented too much loose skin also.

I am using pure Vitamin E oil on my scar to minimize its appearance. It helped a lot with stretch marks. There are also other creams you can buy.

Good luck!!

Laura
Unread 01-23-2002, 02:58 PM

Hi AnastasiaRose,

WELCOME to Hystersisters! I'm glad you found us!

In your first post you didn't mention what type of hyst you were planning on having. Maybe your Doctor hasn't decided yet.

I had a TAH, kept both ovaries. I can understand your feelings about having a scar. I have so many scars, it didn't matter to me (maybe my nickname should be Frankenstien )

My scar, horizontal, is about 6 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches above my pubic hair. I haven't had any problems with my tummy caving in, my Doctor told me that the organs will find their new home while I was healing and not to worry about that.

Keep a running list of questions to ask your Doctor so you don't forget anything.

I am SO happy I had my hyst, the pain before was terrible and now it's gone! It's normal to be scared too AnastasiaRose, this is a major surgery; but trust me when I tell you that the waiting is the HARDEST part.

Keep posting and check out the Chat Room too, the ladies on this site are WONDERFUL and offer a great deal of support and advice. Just keep in mind though, we are not doctors here, so you need to keep your doctor informed of any and all problems/concerns that you are having.

Please let us know how your appointment goes and what you find out.

's and ers,
Unread 01-23-2002, 05:05 PM

Hi:

I had a TAH, and I have an 8 inch horizontal "bikini" cut. My doctor apologized for it being so long, but the fibroid was pretty big!

I am 9 weeks post op, and the incision is healing so well!! I had only two external stitches-- (I don't really know how the DR did it!!), and what was left behind is still red, but fading with each passing day.

Like Laura, I used pure vitamin E oil from my health food store, and I swear by it.

As for sagging, nope. I have the swelly belly, but it diminishes with each day (returns if I overdo it). I also excercise, which helps, too.

Good luck compiling your question list for your .

Best wishes to you.
Unread 01-23-2002, 05:29 PM
Scar or Not

Everyone is different, and I hope I speak from experience. I am an RN who has worked in this field for 17 years and I've seen nearly invisible scars to others that look pretty awful. If you have already had a lap scar that has healed okay, you will probably heal from an abdominal bikini incision in the same way. A woman with little fat tissue tends to heal better than a woman who is heavier as the heavier girl may run into problems with the initial healing process as the incision may tend to stay moist. But if you end up with an unsightly scar, that too can be fixed.
At six weeks post op abdominal hyst myself, my scar is about six inches long and slightly pink but not raised in anyway. I have a bikini cut which doctors prefer over a classical cut or up and down incision. Bikini cuts heal easier. In my case I followed the advice of my sister who had a mastectomy last year. Her doctor from a well known breast cancer hospital in Boston, MA suggested that she use vitamin E body oil on the incision to decrease the scaring. This you can purchase over the counter and I apply it several times a day. I must confess that although I knew what my scar would look like, I had a hard time looking at it on my own body. Once I got beyond that touching the scar was also making me queezy. But I got over that because I know that this is something I need to do for me. I certainly do not want an ugly scar line. From what I've seen through the years, most patient's heal pretty well and the scar is almost invisible. I've asked my spouse what he thinks of the scar and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:07 PM

I also have had several surgeries, with different doctors, and based on my own research ( ) I think a variety of factors determine how your incision will heal. First is how YOU scar...second is how skillful your surgeon is, and third is how well you take care of yourself post-op.

As the others here have already suggested, make a list of all your questions and bring the list to your pre-op appt with your doctor. (Good lists can be found on the PullDown Menus on our home page...at the bottom). If you are not satisfied with the answers you get, keep asking until you are. Most doctors have a Plan A, Plan B approach....be sure you discuss the "surgical plan" with the doctor. If s/he sees that you are well informed and an active participant in your own health decisions, you should get the answers you are seeking.

As a wise sister here once pointed out...we're kind of like The Velveteen Rabbit...we're a little "shabby", but boy, are we real!!!

Best of luck to you...let us know what you find out!

Karen
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Pure Vitamin E Oil

I have been looking for it, in the grocery store, in both the first aid aisle and the body lotion aisle, also in one of the large drugstores and I haven't found pure vitamin e oil. Does anyone have a brand name I should look for, or would the best place to try be a natural food store?

My son cut his chin during Christmas vacation, he fell while playing hockey and had to have stitches, and when he went back to have them out the dr told him to put vit e on it to help make the scar less noticeable. He didn't ask where to get it, just assumed when he came home Mom would pull it out of thin air. I have found body lotion with vitamin e oil. I would really rather get the pure for both of us.

Thanks!
Unread 01-23-2002, 06:31 PM

A health food store is probably your best bet. Some pharmacies may carry it...ask your pharmacist if your local health food store doesn't have it.

But please be sure to ASK YOUR DOCTOR before putting ANYTHING on your incision!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register