Scheduled TAH What to stock fridg/pantry post castle? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to stock fridg/pantry post castle? What to stock fridg/pantry post castle?

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:23 AM
What to stock fridg/pantry post castle?

Looking for suggestions to help me prepare this weekend as I am getting ready this weekend for my trip to the castle next week. For those on the other side, what did you eat the couple weeks after coming home? I know to get water, but what else would be helpful to get? Did you even want to eat? Stay with soft foods? Thanks sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Re: What to stock fridg/pantry post castle?

You may be nauseous with no appetite, or you may be starving. You still need to eat because nutrition is paramount to giving your body energy to heal. Avoid soda and anything else that produces gas. Gas pains can be intolerable after surgery the first week or so. I prepared freezer meals for dinners and also stocked up on easy microwave meals. Convenience is key here. You'll want tons of things you can just grab out of the pantry or refrigerator that require little or no preparation. I grazed on small things all day and night since my tummy couldn't seem to handle large portions.I drank tons of Grape Juice, and cranberry juice,orange juice made me sick. I lived off individual portions of applesauce, yogurt, fruit cups. Buy fresh fruit and veggies also, but watch for those that produce gas. Granola bars, nutri grain bars, crackers, etc. were eaten a lot. Cottage cheese too. Stock up on all the things you love, but are quick and easy to grab. I ate instant oatmeal a lot too. I found that first 2 weeks that if it wasn't easy to grab or fix I wasn't interested or able to make it. I was so very tired and weak for a long time.I went through about 6 bottles of water a day the first 2 weeks. Water is important to flush your body after surgery and help heal.Stock up on Colace and either Milk of Magnesia or Miralax. Most of us had BM issues like you never imagined.(It's best to discuss this with doc pre op or at discharge and send someone to the store in case your doc suggests something else for this issue.). Good luck with your surgery! I stocked up on enough food to last 4 weeks since I knew grocery shopping would be out of the question. I sent my hubby to the store with short lists when we ran out of milk and bread and produce. I found he wasn't a bargain shopper like me and he seriously broke the budget on his shopping trips, so I was glad I shopped and stocked up ahead of time or he would have bankrupted us! lol
:cathugs:
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:12 AM

Well, you probably won't have an appetite problem, though I did, as a long-lasting result of the anesthetic, and I personally struggled to eat for 10 days.

I don't think that's common though.

So - have a lot of ready-made meals in your freezer, or things you can put together easily. I don't know if you will have help with food preparation? I was on my own, and coped OK because I had my freezer and pantry well stocked!
If you are taking narcotic-type painkillers post-op. you will probably suffer from constipation for as long as you are taking them, so you will need a lot of fruit and vegetables and fibre-rich food.
Kiwifruit are excellent for constipation, and also prunes!
Drinking plenty of fluid will help a lot so you might want to have other drinks on hand besides water - juice, etc.
I drank a lot of ginger beer, because I reckoned it helped my initial nausea problem!
Any preparations you make beforehand to make life easier for you afterwards, you will be glad of. If you will be alone, get stuff down from high cupboards that you might need, to save reaching - or up from low cupboards to save bending!
Temporary clutter for the sake of convenience isn't important.
But I am digressing....................

All the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:03 PM

Thanks ladies! Your info helped a lot to help me plan for shopping!!
Unread 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM

Don't forget to buy gas -x it's a life saver and a folding tv tray you can put next to the bed for pills snacks and water is handy also.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm eating whatever I want. I stocked up with oreo', choc chip cookies, potato chips, grits, oatmeal, sandwich meat, all my favorite kiddie cereals and pop-corn. These are all my comfort foods. I never eat this stuff anymore, so I figured I would treat myself. Oh my mama made me a blueberry poundcake. Yum!!!
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

I had very little appetite the first few days.

Knowing that getting nutrition is important, I had some Ensure (high-protein variety) on hand. This was great because it has a good number of calories and protein, both of which your body needs when healing. I could drink easily enough, but wasn't eating much for a few days. I lost a few pounds, which isn't good for me as I'm already slim.

I also had some freezer meals on hand (I like Lean Cuisine) that I could make instantly if I did get hungry. They're reasonably balanced for a freezer meal and they always seem to have them on sale.

I had plenty of juice, snack cheeses and some fruit on hand, too.
Unread 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM

I normally eat like a horse, but I didn't have much of an appetite the first three days or so after coming home. Also, I figured that while my bowels were waking up, it would be better not to overeat. My diet was mostly soy yogurts, smoothies, soups, applesauce and juices those first days. It worked out well for me.

Now I'm eating close to what I used to, but trying to make sure I keep up on fruits, veggies, fiber, and protein.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register