General Questions from the Newbie | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General Questions from the Newbie General Questions from the Newbie

Unread 01-23-2002, 06:32 PM
General Questions from the Newbie

Hi everyone, I just found this site last week and I must say I can't stop looking at it!
What a wonderful support group all of you are -- and the information I am receiving is
terrific!
Little history on me -- I'm 35 and have had a few D&C's - have incredible clotting,
horrible pain, periods that last 25 days at times and ovarian cysts. I had my tubes
tied last year during the D&C. I'm at the point where I know I have to have the hysterectomy.
I'm going to have it done during the summer, when its not busy at work and when
the lifesaving college girl comes back from school - it may sound silly but just knowing
someone will be doing my job correctly while I'm out is a comforting feeling. This way
I wont be coming back to a mess.

Some questions:
1) How long did most of you stay out of work for. I have short term disability that
kicks in after 30 days and my doc said most are out for 8 weeks, although he acknowledged
that I am historically a slow healer and I could take up to 12. Wondering how long any
of you stayed out for. I work in an office if that helps with your answer.

2)He said he would take my cervix out, along with the ovaries and uterus. Do most of you
have them intact?

3) Hormone replacement therapy - do they start you on it in the hospital? What are the
different brands? I have to check with my insurance to see what is covered. Wondering
if any of you have had better experiences with some over others - and I realize everyones
body is different - just looking for feedback from those of you who know!

4) Hospital stay - he says my insurance will cover 3 days. That doesnt sound like a lot!

5) Pain post op - can you really NOT climb stairs for a few weeks? What about showering;
how soon after? Are you able to get out of bed without assistance?

I have an appt to see him in 3 weeks again but wanted to get some feedback from
you wonderful ladies.

Thanks so much for your time, I appreciate it.

Lisa1745 from Northwestern Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 07:30 PM
General Questions from the Newbie

Hi Lisa! And welcome! You have certainly come to the right site to get lots of information. The more you read, I am sure you will find may different/varying answers to your questions. Each of us is unique and no two recoveries are the same.

I had a few open myomectomies prior to my TAH/LSO and each surgery has been a different experience for me. So, here's a few answers to your questions from my perspective.

1) I was off work for 6 weeks and will work 2 weeks of half days. I have an office job, but I have a long commute in a not too rider friendly car. I generally hear fairly quickly, and had the OK to return to half days of work at 4 weeks.

2) All I have left is one ovary. I had no preference one way or the other about my cervix and let my doctor make the decision. With my ovaries, he took out what wasn't healthy.

3) I'm not on hormones. You may want to check the Hormone Jungle board?

4) After two nights in the hospital I BEGGED my wonderful Doctor to let me go home. (he did)

5) Stairs all depends on your doctor's instructions, and your particular surgery. For me, I had no stair restrictions ... but I also had no inclination to go out n climb some. By the second night I was getting out of bed ... it would have been sooner but the nurses kept trying to get me out via my sore side. grrrr. After the first assisted getting out of bed, the rest were on my own. Showers followed once I was getting up. The only post op restriction I had was no tub baths, and no driving. As I mentioned my car is not rider friendly, as with stairs, I had no inclination to get in it.

Hope that gives you a start.

BSQ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register