What is the REAL deal with the swelly belly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the REAL deal with the swelly belly? What is the REAL deal with the swelly belly?

Unread 01-23-2002, 07:20 PM
What is the REAL deal with the swelly belly?

Vein, I know! But, I really am curious what it's like, how big it gets, does it appear RIGHT after surgery, how long does it usually last and do you ever really get your pre-op figure back? After each of my c-sections(I've had 2)I had a belly, but it went back down in time. I have a pretty flat stomach now(when I'm not bloated)and I NEVER do sit-ups. I hate 'em. Can I expect to get a relatively flat belly back with time alone? And if so, how long?

BTW, how are the January sisters doing with this aspect of the surgery? Seeing as you are pretty new to it... I mean, the ones who've had their surgeries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2002, 08:11 PM

Everyone is different. I had swelly belly BEFORE my surgery...my fibroids were so huge that my abdomen was distended. After the surgery, I expected this "condition", but it never happened!

My stomach was flatter than it has been in years....I actually had my abs back. It's still flat! I did notice an increase in discomfort and a little bit of swelling if I did too much too fast. My heating pad was my best friend for a few months....feet up, heating pad on. My standard evening position!

I took ibuprofen for pain relief as soon as I got off my PCA pump because I wanted to eliminate the narcotic pain meds asap, and I was lucky that it was effective for me. I wondered if the anti-inflammatory properties of ibufrophen had anything to do with the lack of swelling.

I think that most women do experience it at some point....but again, each of us is different!

Karen
Unread 01-26-2002, 03:55 PM

Hi Julie, I'm back, had my surgery Monday 1/21. My belly was mostly swelled (about like a really bad period month) until today when I had my first BM. Now, it's nearly normal and I'm wearing regular clothes. I had a TVH, no incision so I'm sure this is part of why, but my doc said that even with an incision it shouldn't be too long before the swelling goes down and some normalcy reappears. Don't worry too much, I too was worried. I took some really old and 2 sizes too big pants to come home in and it really wasn't necessary. Something loose and comfy would've been sufficient.

It'll all be over soon!

Barbara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2002, 04:28 PM

Hi Julie,

I had my LAVH on the 23rd of January. Thought I would come home with a huge swelly belly. No way, my belly is almost back to wear it was before I even had children 30 years ago. That's all I said to my friends when I came home "I have my figure back". Yeah..........I also feel wonderful. Pain is not half as bad as I thought it would be. I have not done the bowel thing yet. Hopefully, that will happen soon. Anyway, no belly......Susie
Unread 01-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Last ovary has to go, hello Lupron

Hello,

This is a first time post. I'm feeling quite desperate at the moment and was hoping for a little reassurance. (Hope I'm posting correctly!)

In a nut shell, I have had 3 surgery's for severe Endometriosis, adhesions & cysts. I suffer with Loads of chronic pelvic pain, SEVERE fatigue, fibromyalgia, R-arthritis, vaginal pain ect.

1st surgery was 4 hrs of laser ablation (July00)

2nd surgery 3 1/2 laser ablation and removal of my left ovary due to endo, chocolate cysts ect. (March 01)

3rd surgery hysterectomy. Removal of adhesions, resection of pelvic floor and ligaments r/t endo.( Kept my right ovary with Doctors approval after cysts removed from it, wasn't ready for
menopause. ) (June 01)

NOW....4th surgery to be done this coming tues the 29th. I have constant right sided pain esp. with sitting, standing, pooping ect (sorry) Ultrasound shows my right ovary is engulfed by a large subtated cyst (probably endometrioma) and is sitting on the vaginal cuff...rectal exam shows, the mass is adhered to my rectum...Geezzzz, what next?....when will it end? The worst part, along with surgical menopause and no hormones for 6 months is
the Surgeon wants me on Lupron for 6 months.

Can anyone tell me what I may expect with all this, or offer some hope?

Thanks for listening,

Susan
Unread 01-26-2002, 05:03 PM

Kathy, I really appreciated reading your post here because it's what I'm hoping for In the last year, my stomach has swollen so much in the last year with the firbroids and endo, it feels so heavy and I look pregnant. I've read about the swelly belly and was afraid I would come home with an even bigger tummy. I had been hoping that with all this gunk removed from my stomach that my tummy would look more like it did about a year ago, not perfect, but not pregnant looking. And then when I get healed and get my energy back and am okay'd for exercise, I'll get my old figure back. I've felt so tired and sore lately that I've put on 30 lbs in a year. Not sure if it's all due to that or what, but I hurt when I workout these days so haven't done it in a long time.
Unread 01-26-2002, 05:04 PM

Oops, just read that, I meant Karen, not Kathy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register