LUPRON: Thought, Comments - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LUPRON: Thought, Comments LUPRON: Thought, Comments

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:08 PM
lupron

i have been on lupron for three months now and it isnt as bad as i thought it would be. i do have night sweats and hot flashes but they are bearable. my first shot i felt a little off as though something just wasnt right. also a few aches and pains here and there. my joints feel a little stiffer. i walk and do yoga almost daily so i've always been active. it hasnt slowed me down. my uterus was an eighteen week after three months it''s down to 14 and a few of my fibroids have reduced by 20%. it didnt stop my periods. but i am not flooding and my hemoglobin went up to 14 which is the first time in six years! i do have tons of energy now. my dr. said about one percent of women still bleed with the shots so probably you dont have to worry.
take care any questions email me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 07:13 AM
LUPRON: Thought, Comments

Hello Allie,
It's me again, Mary(Ms.WORRYWART). I did'nt mean to scare the heck out of you. Just like what darla and my doctor said, I AM ONE OF THOSE 1% who did'nt (could'nt) get the benefit from it. Lucky me Nobody could tell how I was going to react to it.
I did'nt have a chance to research it first, for I was desperate at the time.

I really did'nt mean to scare you. You must be overwhelmed,
and I know it's a big decision for you or anyone to make. Your doing a great job on researching and asking about it first.
Only you, can make a decision for yourself and know what's best.

Take Care and Good Luck!
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:51 AM

You didn't scare me WorryWort! I asked for all thoughts:-) Like Giofog for me this has really become a life saving measure. I guess I have to trust and pray that the ends justify the means.
However Zest2001 does pose an interesting question, but I'm guessing that the doctor thinks that my body building it's own blood supply will be better for me. What do you think Giofog? Seeing as how we basically are having to take for the same thing. My fibroids are about the size of a women in her 4th month of pregnancy ( No wonder no matter how much I worked out I could NOT get rid of my pouch!). And my count got down to 6.5 and I felt a MESS! Tired, cold, and always out of breathe! Not to mention letting my counts get so low is life threatning! I can't imagine how you must have felt at 4!:cry:
Please excuse my ignorance, and can probably find this out from my doctor or on the net somewhere, but what is the differance between the LUPRON and DEPRO?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 08:53 AM

Hi Allie, I am on my second lupron shot, with one more to go before my surgery in March. Other than some headaches, I have to say that I really don't have much to complaing about while on lupron. As a matter of fact, the relief from the pain caused by endo while I'm on lupron makes me feel better with the shots than I am without them.

As you stated, everyone is different. Just thought I'd let you know my experience.

Laura
Unread 01-25-2002, 10:03 AM

Hi, I am midway throuogh my third month on Lupron, which was prescribed to prevent hemorrhaging and possibly shrink fibroids before my surgery in March. Although I have mild hot flashes and icky night sweats, I feel strong and energetic. I've increased my workouts and started swimming again, all of which I hope will make my recovery easier. For me, this drug has been much easier than DepoProvera.

Here's another issue regarding Lupron: not every insurance company pays for it. In December, I paid $5, but with a change in insurance providers, this month I paid $500. I am committed to this course of treatment and am appealing through an insurance broker.
Unread 01-25-2002, 12:03 PM

Yep, everyone is different. I had wonderful results from Lupron. I went from basketball sized uterus/fibroids to grapefruit sized during the three months of Lupron. Still ended up with a bikini incision, though ( no babys travelled the canal). The only side effect I had was vaginal dryness. I had no bleeding at all. I was never anemic anyway. Talk with your Doc and do what's best for YOU.
Unread 01-25-2002, 12:29 PM

Hi Allie -

And all the ladies who answered this so far, I'm the one who doesn't want to get scared, I don't think Allie mentioned that.

I don't know the difference between Lupron and Depo, but I've read that Depo has more side effects. I never took it so I don't have any personal experience with it.

To answer your question Allie, when my hemoglobin was at 4, I couldn't take a deep breath, had constant burning muscle pain even if I just walked from one side of the room to the other it felt like I had run a marathon. Aches and pains everywhere, like I had been hit by a truck or something. No appetite, crying all the time, sooooo tired and wanted to sleep but had problems sleeping, blurred vision, ringing in both ears, freezing cold all the time, confused (sometimes I couldn't put together a sentence, well okay, I'm like that anyway, but you know what I mean). Yikes!! The blood pressure at 70/30 scared me even more than the blood count. And the doctors at the emergency room told me when your counts get that low, you are at great risk for organ failure and permanent damage, that is if you even survive. So it made sense to me that I needed to do something right away to prevent any more hemorrhaging, and give my body a chance to recover.

Add to that the fact that they won't risk doing surgery till the fibroid has shrunk, and it wasn't a very difficult decision for me to make.

I did start a period today, grrrrrrrrrr. But the doctors had told me that the first two weeks of Lupron there is actually an increase in hormone production, so I'm not surprised. So far not a lot of bleeding, but the worst cramps I think I have EVER had. Overall I'm feeling better, probably from the transfusion. I can actually walk up the stairs without having to fall onto the couch for the first time in over a year!

I'm sure everything will work out for both of us. I just wish they would give me a surgery date, but I think they want to see if three months does the trick. I guess Lupron can be taken for up to six months, but the risks increase after three.
Unread 01-25-2002, 04:32 PM

I just wanted to add my experience with Lupron in here. I had just one shot and immediatly started having horrible migraines and racing heart and generally not feeling well. They say you are not even suppose to have any side effects until the second shot so I cant imagine what I would have felt like if I would have gotten a 2nd. Thats just me though some women have no problem at all so I hear!
Unread 01-25-2002, 05:04 PM

Hi,

I had a Lupron injection on January 3. That night, I laid awake for hours, waiting for a hot flash. First I was hot, hot, hot. (throw off the covers, lay there naked for five minutes). Then I was freezing to death. (pile them back on and curl up into a ball). I really don't think I had any, it was purely psychosomatic. Actually, except for that first night, when I stayed awake waiting for "THE HOT FLASH", I never had any effects whatsoever, except that my bleeding slowed almost to nothing. I did have a period, right on schedule, but except for the color of the blood (bright red instead of dark) it was just like my pre-fibroid periods. For me, it worked wonderfully, because I suffered from anemia, exhaustion, bloating, backaches, cramps, and just general illness. One month after Lupron, I feel like myself again, energetic, happy, in control, and not bleeding heavily anymore. Except for the daily spotting, I almost would think the fibroid is gone. I have no plans to have another shot, because I hope to have UAE or a hysteroscopic resection in February. I have heard that the fibroid usually kicks up again as soon as the Lupron is discontinued, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I wish I could keep using it, but the bone loss thing really bothers me. The loss of estrogen hasn't been a problem for me at all. Good riddance!

Judy Ray, 35, submucosal fibroid 4 cm.
Unread 01-25-2002, 07:41 PM

It seems like most of you ladies have had the month to month shot, is that correct? My doctor has prescribed the 3 month dose for me. I think that's what scares me the most I feel like my body might be overwhelmed! I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about my concern.
Eleanor51, I know what you mean about the cost! I know you probably wanted to faint when you heard $500.00 after paying just $5 !! My co-pay is going to be $120.00 per shot!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register