One Week to Go (01/31/02) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Week to Go (01/31/02) One Week to Go (01/31/02)

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:11 AM
One Week to Go (01/31/02)

This is just a word of support and encouragement for all the hystersisters. My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, January 31st -- a week from today. I think there are six others scheduled for surgery that same day. I'll be thinking of and praying for the best for you all.

I'm starting to feel just a little anxious, but have a really wonderful support system (family and friends). I had a myomectomy some years ago, but the fibroids returned. I'm really looking forward to life without severe cramps and bleeding each month. So, right now I'm counting down the days.

This site has been a great resource. As my surgery date nears, I am checking back several times a day. The comments, stories, responses to questions and humor are such a blessing. Thanks to everyone who chimes in and to the people who keep the site going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:25 AM

I'm right there with you, Alabelle. I'm getting more and more anxious, but will be glad to have this all over with and get on the road to recovery! I'll be thinking of you all on our special day and praying for us, too. I'm looking forward to sharing our stories and comparing notes.

s!
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:29 AM

Hi Alabelle,

I also have one week to go. We are scheduled that same day. Thursday January 31. What time is your surgery? Mine is at 7:30am which is a good thing for me not to have to wait most of that day. I am ready to get this over with. I had 5 weeks to worry and do lots of reasearch and as you said this site is the best. I don't think I would have come this far without it. The support and the women are great.

I will also be thinking about you and all the other women that are about to go to the castle.

Prayer and Hugs,
Debbie
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:51 AM
You go girl

You sound so relaxed, Im so proud of you. I have 15 days to go. I talked with my dr. yesterday and Im much calmer today. You certainly will be in my prayers.

Here's to you and a speedy recovery

Tammie
Unread 01-24-2002, 07:51 AM

Julie B. and MsOrazza99: it's great to hear from fellow 01/31/02 hystersisters. I am also scheduled for early morning surgery (7:30 a.m.) so DH and I will have to arrive there around 5:30 a.m. I've been told that it's good to be scheduled for early morning surgery.

A colleague had the same surgery (TAH; left ovaries) about nine months ago and she had a very positive experience; some, but not extreme pain. Talking with her and this website have really helped me deal with everything. She recently told me to expect some periods of anxiousness the first week or so after the surgery (could I really get any more anxious than I am right now?). However, she added that having some routine to your day and understanding that the anxiousness is part of the recovery process helps. Of course, the usual disclaimer, this is not medical advice and certainly if anyone is feeling overly anxious post-op, a call to the doctor might be in order.

I am looking forward to posting my own "home and feeling better" story after surgery. My family and I had a nice dinner and discussion last night about the things that will need to be place for my surgery. I have done list after list of things to pick up from the grocery store and Wal-Mart this weekend and questions to pose at my pre-op appt. on Monday. I also am going to ask about bringing a CD or cassette recorder into surgery with me so that I can listen to soothing music. One hystersister posted that she did this, along with asking the anesthesiologist to make positive recovery statements -- I don't think I have quite the nerve to do this, but I am going to at least inquire about the music. I know the hysterectomy is the best course of action for my health and quality of life, so I am also working on going into the surgery with a positive attitude. As you can tell, I'm trying to cover all the bases for a speedy, uneventful recovery. I'm even going to bring some goodies for the nurses. I've been told that the nurses on the floor where I'll be recovering are great, so I want to already have something nice for them while I'm there.

What type of surgeries are you each having? Have you gotten all your lists done? :-) What about your tummy pillow?

I'll be thinking of you all and praying that you have a smooth, uneventlful surgery and a good recovery.

Let's keep in touch!
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:10 AM

Wow, Alabelle, you sound very ready. I think I'm the odd man out as far as surgery time goes. I have to wait to leave the house until 10 am. My surgery is at 12:30... I wish they were able to get me in first thing that morning, but my doctor has a surgery ahead of me. I need to get the larger underwears(although I'm praying I won't need them )and candy for the nurses and something for my doctor. I've known the man for 13 years and you'd think I'd know what to get him. I have really struggled with this decision, as I was never at "deaths door", but like everyone has told me, I shouldn't have to live with anemia or this horrible pain, either. I have a very skilled and trusted doctor, so that alone makes a world of difference to me. I'll be having a TAH/with the removal of left ovary and tube. I have had 2 c-sections, so a VH isn't a choice for me. I am mostly praying to be able to drive again at 3 weeks because my daughters go back to school at that time and I HAVE to be able to drive them to and from. It's only a block away and my doctor seems to think I'll be able to drive by then. I will have to be an extra good princess for those weeks to make sure I can.
I'll be thinking of all of you and praying for all of us! Let's go girls!
On to a better life for us! Pain free and period free!
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:14 AM
Good Luck!!!

Looks like all of you go the day before me. We will all be soooooooo much better when it is out and over, I really believe that and I look forward to the pain from surgery instead of the intense pain we/I feel right now. No more pads no more tampons no more worry!!!!!!!!!! I am going to attempt to focus on the good things to come and TRY not to dwell on the "if's ands or butts" anymore. Not that they arent there.
Big group HUG!!!!!!!
K
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:38 AM

Good Morning Ladies.....

I love the idea of bringing something for the nurses.......they
don't always get the acknowledgement they deserve.......and will love the fact you all were so thoughtful!!!

Candy and cookies are always a hit in the office I work in........
pastry is too! We love it when patient's bring it in............

wishing you all a peaceful week and speedy recovery!!!!
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:57 AM

Hello to you all! I am over four mths. post-op and I first of all want to say that Alabelle you are a rock for the rest of the sisters waiting, and I wish everyone of you the best of luck in your surgeries. All of you are so much calmer then I was a week before going to the castle, I knew it would all be for the better but I still had a problem with the unknown and I had some last minute insurance problems that didn't help either. But I can truthfully say that the waiting was the hardest and I had a pretty uneventful surgery and recovery and now feel like a different person. I took my first get a way with my hubby with no worry of having to bring tampons & pads and didn't have to worry about feeling so bad that I would miss out on anything we did. The only thing I would like to stress is to make sure you do rest and drink plenty of fluids believe me that is half the battle to recovery.
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU AND SEE YOU ON THE OTHERSIDE.
Going
Unread 01-24-2002, 11:06 AM

Hey Ladies-

I'll be thinking of all of you (at least I'll try), I go in the day before you guys on the 30th. Sounds like it's going to be a busy week!

My hospital just called to Pre-Admit me over the phone (nice). They asked me if I wanted a private room, the lady said my insurance won't cover it, it would be $20 extra a day. I said I would love a private room!!! At least my family can come see me without bothering someone else (I have 4 children).

Best Wishes to all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register