Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery? Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

Unread 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

Hi all,

I had a few issues after my surgery but then about 12-16 weeks later I had a big problem. I became moody, angry, and sometimes uncaring (threatened to walk out on my job).
My GYN put me on the Vivelle Dot but I am still having issues and my GP has put me on Paxil. I think it is helping but I feel that I am in need of a higher dose of the Vivelle. My skin is breaking out (worse than as a teen), I am having sexual issues (started before Paxil) and still am prone to the crying.
Can you please share your stories with me if you went on meds after your surgery? I need to know that this can be helped too.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Re: Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

Some of us (I am one) didn't do well with Vivelle Dot patch. My level was still fairly low (40) on the highest dose patch. I had to begin trying other methods. You are far enough away from your surgery date that maybe a check of your estradiol level would be a good idea to see if you're absorbing well. It's a good idea to ask for a copy of your results so that you can see where you fall with the lab's range. Sometimes Dr.s will say you're fine when you fall in the POSTmenopausal level. That's not the idea for most of us!

Most SSRI's can cause anorgasmia. I don't know if that's the problem you may be speaking of. Also, if your estrogen level is low in the vaginal tissue it seems to really cause loss of sensitivity. A lot of us have used localized estrogen therapy to help the vaginal tissue. It can be used right along with your systemic replacement. There's creams, Vagifem tablets, or Estring.

For me, when my estrogen isn't right I'm an anxious, weepy mess! I'd pursue the estradiol issue first.
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM

I understand where you are at with all this. My doctor put me on klonopin and I hated it. I felt flat, strange, bleh. So we agreed I could stop. She then wanted to put me on an ssri, celexa. I was worried about weight gain but was told that it mostly had sexual side effects. I don't need that. I did agree to go to counseling once a week. And I'm looking into tweaking my hormone levels. Best wishes to you. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012, 07:30 AM

The crying is a definite sign for me of low estrogen.

Who knows, you might need an anti-d, but that shouldn’t be added until your estrogen is straightened out. Call your GYN and tell her you think you need a higher dose of vivelle. A lot of drs wrongly assume if your hot flashes aren’t bad, then you have enough. It takes quite a bit more to stop the mental/emotional issues for me than it does to stop the hot flashes.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM

I have been on anti-depressants since before my surgery. I take Wellbutrin XL. It has a low risk of sexual side effects, which was (and is) very important to me as I am only in my early 40's. I have been on Celexa (after 5 years it caused weight gain but did help and they switched me to the Wellbutrin); Paxil (no real effects at all); Xanax (which I still occassionally take); Lexapro (helped some); Zoloft (KNOCKED me out! - I lost 3 days of my life to this one!); Amitryptilene (Not sure if that's how it's spelled, but it was only temporary). Anyway - my point is that you have to try different meds until you find the ONE that works for YOU. They are all different. You and your doctor should decide what will help. Follow his/her orders. Give it time. And give yourself a break!
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM

My doctor put me on citalopram about 3 months after my total hysterectomy, for anxiety and hot flashes. I noticed the hot flashes were directly tied in to any upswing in anxious feelings whether it was watching TV or driving or anything I perceived as stressful. I've never been super moody but I have always had anxiety, so this med has been a win-win for me. Much better control of hot flashes, which I still have, of course, but I'd say they are about 90% better. And I'm more social and less fearful. Whether that is psychological or chemical, I don't care, because it's working wonderfully for me for the moment! Best of luck to you in finding relief!
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM

I'd been diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder years ago along with depression. I'd weaned myself off the meds slowly and hadn't had a real anxiety attack until after my surgery. I was a mess, I'd applied for a position before the surgery and received a call exactly one week. I had a nervous breakdown, crying, hysteria you name it. I couldn't make a decision, I ultimately turned it down after convincing myself I couldn't do the job. I had an interview for a second job which went pretty well but when I was called for the second interview, I completely flopped. I couldn't form a single thought and froze during an apptitude test. Needless to say I didn't get a call back, and I'm strangely relieved. So yes, I too am suffering anxiety every single morning, and have to take my Xanax 1mg XR every day just to get by. I'd suggest talking to your doctor to see what he/she suggests. Good luck to you
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM

i had a TAH and cant take hormones. I am on cymbalta. I had to go on something cause even natural estrogens and hormones I couldnt take. I deal with the hot flashes and night sweats but at least mind wise am good. I could have driven into a tree I was that bad. Best thing was anxiety meds
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM

I had a presciption for citalopram from before my surgery--I had bad pms...
and I took one today because I am really feeling emotional and angry plus tired and pain.

I tired of feeling mad at myself because I do not want to deal with anyone or anything--least of all my husband. While my emotions are agreeably changing from one moment to the next..I continually feel like I want to be ALONE and not bothered. Lucky, my children are grown except for the 10.5 year old...who is luckily busy with his cousins...
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Unhappy - Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery? Re: Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerfriend View Post
I had a presciption for citalopram from before my surgery--I had bad pms...
and I took one today because I am really feeling emotional and angry plus tired and pain.

I tired of feeling mad at myself because I do not want to deal with anyone or anything--least of all my husband. While my emotions are agreeably changing from one moment to the next..I continually feel like I want to be ALONE and not bothered. Lucky, my children are grown except for the 10.5 year old...who is luckily busy with his cousins...

Ok--so the past 2 days I got better and felt happy---and something my husband said set me off....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register