Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery? Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

Unread 08-19-2012, 04:27 AM
Re: Anybody gone on anxiety meds since surgery?

flowerfriend, are you on HRT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM

I had extreme issues after surgery. Panick anxiety and the worse insomina. My e levels were at 40 I was and still am using celexa and klonipin. It helped with everything. The sexual side effects went away. I only use 1/2 the dose I added esttogen gel to my patch. As it wouldnt get my e level up. These meds are used to help these situations, and help get over the struggle with finding the right amnt of est,
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM

I'm glad I found this thread as my anxiety has increased. I've had what I think is a slight case of general anxiety. Never a formal diagnosis. Long story short I kept my ovaries but could they be shutting down for a bit? I saw my nurse practitioner yesterday and started on the generic form of lexapro. But now of course I'm second guessing myself but the anxiety was stopping me from doing things.

For those who don't have anxiety you're lucky it's really frustrating to me. I did make an appointment to see a cognitive behavioral therapist first time she can see me is dec 5th. I would like to learn how manage and accept my anxiety without drugs.

Anyone else have a surge in anxiety post op?

Thank you for understanding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccajow View Post
I'm glad I found this thread as my anxiety has increased. I've had what I think is a slight case of general anxiety. Never a formal diagnosis. Long story short I kept my ovaries but could they be shutting down for a bit? I saw my nurse practitioner yesterday and started on the generic form of lexapro. But now of course I'm second guessing myself but the anxiety was stopping me from doing things.

For those who don't have anxiety you're lucky it's really frustrating to me. I did make an appointment to see a cognitive behavioral therapist first time she can see me is dec 5th. I would like to learn how manage and accept my anxiety without drugs.

Anyone else have a surge in anxiety post op?

Thank you for understanding
I did for sure! Thought it might be hormones went on the lowest dose patch and had to increase it to see a difference. Finally about 2 months ago I went on the generic Paxil and it has helped.
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM

I used meds as needed prior to surgery. During the adjustment phase I have gone on them routinely and figure I will be on them routinely at least 3-6 months to try and level everything out. I can tell a little more anxiety post-op but not like I experienced with PMDD.
Unread 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Oh the joys of perimenopause that a hysterectomy can throw you into. My Doc definetely didnt warn me. I felt like I was going crazy!!! I went from one doc to the next and figured out you have five options.
1. Do nothing and wait it out ( not an option for me, my quality of life is going down hill and rapidly)
2. Take natural products such as agnus cactus, ect... To relieve the perimenopausel symtoms (helped a wee little bit, I think I was just not ready to go into menopause and my body is amok)
3. take antidepressants as mentioned above, especially if you cant take or do not want to take hormones. I didnt try them
4. Take estrogen. The golden standard as some doctors like to call it. That can work for some people but I tried it and it made me sick to my stomache. So I looked for another alternative.. I had my Hormones finally measured and sure enough I had enough etrogen but nothing else!
5. So I have started taking Bhrt. Im taking progesterone and dhea! it was the difference between night and day! My crying stopped my depression went away. Many doctors do not not believe women without a uterus need progesterone and they are confused to the difference between progesterone and progestin. Im inpressed and feeling better maybe this can help some of you out there too.
Hugs for all the sisters suffering I know how hard it is. Ive had it all crying
, rage, mood swings from hell, not caring, sexual dysfuntion ect... I wish you all the best Jingels
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM

My doctor wants me to start taking something if the new script Premarin .625 doesn't work. I don't know if I will. I had my bloodwork done and my estrogen was 18 and testosterone was 14. I really don't know what all of that means but from the numbers I see here, mine are pretty low.

Another sister said my levels are at rock bottom so I am hoping the Premarin works.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM

I have an anxiety disorder. I have been on 1mg. of xanax for years and yes it helps.
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Hello! I have been on meds since my hysterectomy 12 years ago. I have been of SSRI's for depression (Zoloft, Luvox, Prozac), Anxiety meds (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium) and Ambien for insomnia. The SSRI's have been removed but the anxiety meds and insomnia med still remain. I also go to counseling. I am hoping to someday be able to find the right combination of meds to take away the constant anxiety. You are NOT alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register