Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

I sincerely hope it's not just me. Mostly this comes from one person, and I laugh, but at the same time people will say anything.

My top 3 right now:
1) "I don't understand you girls now. I had my tubes tied laparoscopically and worked the next day"
-um, VASTLY different procedure?????

2) "I've been participating in an online forum and reading about what will happen". Reply" "Well that's probably making you more nervous".

3) "I can't wait to see what size pants I'll wear after this. (demonstrates pants not fitting well because my belly is bigger than my waist or hips.)"
Response: Well, you need to accept that you've still gained a ton of weight and this won't make that go away.
-Thanks again. Didn't notice the 20 lb. weight gain this year.....Or that it was 30 and I've knocked 10 off.

That just makes me all the more interested in getting done with this so I can show that at least some of this is hormonal imbalance. I did some reading and I have every symptom of estrogen being high and I also think one of the ways the mirena didn't work for me was that it (in my guess) caused there to be both more estrogen and progesterone, explaining my 2 periods/month and 18 days a month bleeding while on it. Lighter bleeding and not painful, but I think my body tried to fight back. I've yet to ask the dr. about this but I think it's likely and that she probably won't know as I'm her first patient who had a clear suicidal reaction to Mirena.

But anyway, please tell me it's not just my family that are weird? (I haven't told many other people).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Re: So, what's the dumbest thing someone has said to you @ surgery?

no, it's not just your family. I was a complete basket case prior to surgery and very afraid since it was my first surgery. Called a very trusted long time friend that had a hysterectomy years ago when she was in her 20s (she's now in her 60s - I'm in my 40s). When I told her my fears and concerns she told me and I quote word for word: "Just quit it and pull yourself together. What do you need a uterus for anyway. You should get everything taken out and be done with it (at that time I really wanted to keep 1 or both ovaries). I don't know what your problem is but you really need to quit it. Your surgery will be a complete disaster if you keep this up." Then before I could say anything, she had to leave to go out to lunch.

So, that my friend is my dumbest thing said to me before surgery story and I didn't exaggerate!

I wish you a successful surgery and a safe recovery.
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM

P.S. I had a successful surgery even though I was worried and anxiety ridden up until they put me out. My doctor told me afterwards when I asked that that is a normal reaction. I also was unable to keep either ovary, not because of my former friend's advice, but because I had severe endometreosis and scarring from it so the doctor decided it was best to remove them. I also have not talked to this "friend" again since and she hasn't called to find out if I even made it out of surgery........ not that I would have answered the phone !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Getting quite irritated with people who tell me not to talk about it or research what to expect and just do it, because I'm just going to scare myself. Like I'm getting my ears pierced or something! I like to be prepared and knowledgeable when going into something this serious and permanent.
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM

I'll give another...I'm being told that I'm afraid of the wrong things, when in reality those are the things I'm most afraid of and don't want to talk about.

OR, well it's not your ovaries so you'll be fine. What if I come out without ovaries? Can I be afraid then?
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM

People keep telling me about their very old mothers and relatives who had hysterectomies, and that they were fine... which is nice, I guess, but makes me feel like I will be like an 80 year old woman when I get out!
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Last year I worked in home health until I went on disability for pain management. I tried to tell my long term patients especially about my upcoming absence. You wouldn't believe how many hysterectomy stories I heard and the "women's problems" eagerly shared with me. I found it pretty funny although I had to remember "this is not 50 years ago, this is not 50 years ago"........
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Great thread! The one that bothers me the most is "oh it will be just like when I had my c section! It's totally routine surgery!" Really!?! Having a major organ removed is like having a baby?!? Really, routine for WHO!?! not me, that's all I know!
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:49 PM

The most commonly dumb thing people keep telling me is "oh...you're having it laprascopically? That's really nothing...you can be back next week!" I then point out that they are removing 6 parts of my body and I'll come back when I darn well feel up to it!
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Well I must admit one of the dumbest questions came from me to my DH on the way to the hospital. It was more a comment. I blurted out of nowhere " I can't wait til we get there" of he wanted to know why and I stupidly say " cause I'm excited. I get the happy shot from the anestesologist (spg?) ). He got mad. I realized I sounded just like a junkie but it was 3:30am and I was nervous. Lol

The dumbest thing said to me was from the nurse when they brought me to my room after recovery. Once again sounded like a junkie, but I had spent a lot of time on this learning not to be a hero and don't let the pain get out of control. So I asked her when was my pain meds scheduled and what were they giving me. (Didn't see a pain pump). She told me oh don't worry bout it you are gonna have some pain. I looked at her like she had two heads and said "why? I see no reason for me to feel any pain. I'm in a hospital" bless her heart she made sure I never felt any of the pain that I supposedly was gonn have.

Last one, I had endo cancer. Well when people find out you learn quickly of everyone who has known anyone had this and they are doing great. After hearing about 15-20 of these stories I asked the last one did she know anybody who had dies from this. She happily reassured me that she has not. My response was "well @[email protected]!? Guess I'm in trouble? If this has a 95percent survival rate and nobody knows anybody who died from it then I'm screwed. Somebody has to be the other 5". Word travels fast I guess cause I didn't hear anymore of these stories from anyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register