Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! - Page 19 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Unread 09-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Re: Dumbest thing someone has said to you? Throwing a uterus party

The dumbest comment I got was from a co-worker she said "it's nice you can afford to have a hysterectomy" Really???? It's not a vacation, it's not fun, it stinks that for 2+ years I've been dealing with this. Yes I know her financial situation is different then mine and our insurance is different but if she would not spend money on other things and save her vacation days she could have her issue addressed too.

It's just frustrating because i'm not having surgery because it's fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2012, 07:11 AM

I always find it weird when people act like you are having something fun done. One of my co-workers said the day before "Well now you get to have a vacation!!" yeah like having surgery is like a vacation. Let's see, being in pain, feeling really sick to my stomach was a vacation. Then when i returned she asked me with a straight face "DId you have a good vacation?" I just walked away.
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:06 AM

I had Stage 1a Grade 1 endometrial cancer. After my surgery, I was trying to schedule my post surgical followup on the phone. The receptionist is one of those people who is invested in listening to the conversation in her head. I kept telling her (politely) that I needed to schedule my post surgical followup. She kept refusing. I finally asked her if she had a list of women who had surgery that week. She stated "You expect me to have a list." She still refused to schedule the post surgical and told me the doctor would tell me when I needed a follow up when I came in.

I showed up to get the staples out and like an idiot I thought I would see the surgeon based on what she had told me. I was miffed but polite when I realized she had flubbed the appointment. Her colleague started saying "Our patients are soOOoo nervous." There wasn't a bit of compassion in her when she said it. It's an oncology office. I am still stunned. I didn't get to see the surgeon until 20 days after the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM

I had endo cancer too. What stuns me is the cool response from breast cancer survivors. They seem to sniff at my situation because I didn't have to have Chemo or radiation. I am grateful and fortunate, but don't appreciate that I am not considered a true cancer survivor in their apparently private club. I guess membership is determined by a scale for suffering and I have not experienced enough.

My very dear friend, Sally, died of breast cancer in 1981. I feel the loss of precious souls like hers is one reason that drives medical research forward so that women today are better educated, have more advanced treatments and a much greater survival rate from this and other cancers specific to women.

Thank you Sally!

Sissys
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM

A friend of mine and myself are both having hysterectomies..... We have decided to throw an "Evacuation" psrty once we have recovered!!!
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastings View Post
A friend of mine and myself are both having hysterectomies..... We have decided to throw an "Evacuation" psrty once we have recovered!!!
That is a terrific idea!
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Re: Dumbest thing someone has said to you? Throwing a uterus party!!

I go back to work tomorrow and have one very insensitive employee who is already on my "short list". God forbid he say anything dumb because my hormones are still not quite right and I might go all "surgical menopausal" on his dumb ***!!
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Yesterday the resident cam into my room and commented on how tiny my uterus was.when they removed it. Silly me thought he was saying it was unusually small so when i asked about it he said "oh; it's just because you have never had children".....he said this with no idea of how insensitive it was to say to the woman he just took it out of!
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM

My friends and family have said some pretty weird things, but I know they were trying to make me feel better.

After reading these posts I am starting to look forward to a few dumb comments so I can have a laugh.

An evacuation party sounds like a great idea Chastings and Funnelcakeagogo!
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM

I like that evacuation party! Great idea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register