Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! - Page 23 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Unread 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Re: What NOT to say to after a woman has had a hysterectomy?

My dh said oh look how cute your pudgy is! I smacked him and laughed and said it was smaller then his keg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldon32 View Post
I get tired of hearing oh I had that done years ago or my ....had that years ago and they were fine after 2 weeks...I'm 6 weeks and just going back to work tmrw...don't compare me...makes me feel like I did lousy when actually I feel like im doing pretty darn good considering started out laprascope...did TAH...had ovaries and cervix removed.. was readmitted for a week with c diff...so please stop comparing
This!! It seems like everyone I know has a friend who was up and running laps two weeks after surgery so I should be fine by now. Even my own mother, who I am not that close to since she didn't raise me, thinks I should be fine since she vaguely remembers being fine after her hysterectomy many years ago. The only real support I have is my husband....so far
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:10 PM

And we all have each other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Ha! Thank you for these posts!!! A few made me tragically yet joyously giggle (which hurt)!!!

Less then 48 hours after my procedure (home less then 24) which was the 'whole sha bang' (all gone) plus severe fibrosis on left side excised with a "stuck ureter" covered in disease..... I had a friend stop by and asked "Why are you walking like that?" In the same timeframe my DP (darling partner asked my pain level and I said a 6 or 7) said "Oh you can't be that". Seriously????? And I was down playing it!!! And my partner is a SHE! I think i'd be a tiny bit more forgiving if testicles were invovled! Lol. I'd at least of had a witty comeback!!!!

Nice to hear from those walking in similar shoes! THANK YOU!
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnah View Post
Ahh..men! I think they may need a whole book on what not to say. I told one guy, who asked why I was in the hospital (after my son told him I was there but was afraid to say why) That I had to have a hysterectomy after finding out I had cancer and was waiting on pathology results to see if I would need further treatment. His reply.. "well at least it wasn't anything serious"
You win. This one is my favorite.
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM

I think women are less sympathic then men are. We expect more out of our own gender for some reason, we expect each other to be the bigger, better and more tolerant gender. I have found more compassion from my men friends then my female...how odd is that? the only females friends who seem to get it are those who have had this surgery or had some kind of major surgery or life events..the rest are not so understanding... best wishes.
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Re: Dumbest thing someone has said to you? Throwing a uterus party!!

He is trying to be supportive but one especiallydumb comment came from my DH. He said he did not understand why my dr is setting a rrecovery of just as much if not more so than my c section. ..."its not like he is taking out a baby in there! Its going to be gone so less healing. .." ummmm no. Just no. From
The things he says I am very glad he didn't become a doctor.
Unread 09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

The dumbest thing someone has said to me so far was last week via text. I had my surgery last Tuesday 8/27/13 and on Thursday a "friend" texted and asks how I'm feeling? So I said like crap and the girl has the nerve to say "you should be fine by now", and then compare my hysterectomy to her c-section. Ugh I was so honkerblonked off!
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Re: Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Before surgery I was telling a friend about my hysterectomy and that I decided against the mesh sling after my doctor told me about the lawsuits pending and everything I had read for myself. She told me I am paranoid, to stop reading and listening to what other people say and to just do it. She had her bladder lifted and has no idea what type she had done. Doesn't even know if she has a cervix. All this coming from a teacher. Seriously?
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Re: Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

My MIL keeps telling me I will be fine and that she had her hysterectomy and it is no big deal, that she was up and doing everything within a week. Ummm, she was in her 20s-30s when she had hers done, she had no other medical problems and was a lot healthier than I am right now. I have other health problems and I'm 45 years old. I am also not going to try to prove anything by trying to be Wonderwoman like she obviously thinks she is, by trying to do a lot after I get home.
I'm also so tired of it being compared to C-sections.
Also one of my so called friends compared it to childbirth...uhh..really?

My MIL also keeps saying that she wants more grandkids and I needed to give her a grandkid. Yeah, first of all, not at my age even if I could, and second of all..I think I need this surgery more than she needs another grandkid..*sigh*

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register