Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Unread 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Re: So, what's the dumbest thing someone has said to you @ surgery?

During pre-op visit:
Me to Doc: "What exactly happens during my hysterectomy?" "Step by step."

Doc to Me: "You don't want to know."

Wrong thing to say to a former private investigator, and a 30 year genealogist. I'm not the type to ask a question, that I don't want the answer to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

OMG!!! Miracles do happen! I got a message (from a friend I don't get to see very often) trying to get a bunch of us together for a night out. She has scheduled it for whn i am one week post op and i tolde her i was unable to come because of the same. First miracle: she didn't pry and just wished me well!!! Second miracle: when i told her i was having a hyster she didn't make a stupid remark or say it is no big deal. Third miracle: her response was... omg that's a.major surgery!!!!! I told her she was my hero, lol! Maybe i can start believing in Santa again?!
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM

I got one from my Aunt.. Your going to do what?!!!! Your mother's menopause started at 50. So just WAIT another 3 years and see what happens!!

WHAT?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Dh says "oh good, while I'm home for two weeks I can re-do the bathroom".

Needless to say I had to explain that all two bathrooms in our house would be need to be available post op.

The thought was nice (we do need a bathroom update, and his staying home for 2 weeks is wonderful!), but the timing? Totally clueless.

This is a funny thread, thanks for starting it
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

My favorite I've heard so far was from a gal who is about 5 years older than me. My kids are 20, 19, and almost 17. "Well don't you want to have any more babies." I explained that since I had my tubes tied after my last one was born and only had 1 ovary left probably not on my list of concerns. She said well why don't you try pain meds to help with the pain or antidepressants. I explained that these options had been tried and it was just getting to the point that when you only have 7-10 good days of emotions, no pain that simply isn't the quality of life I wanted to have. She was more understanding then. What was really difficult was telling my male DON what I was having done- although he was understanding and didn't say anything weird.
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM

One of my (male) bosses wanted to know why I was going to be out for a month if when his buddy got a vasectomy he was only off for 3 days. Then he wanted to know if I would be ready to deploy 2 weeks after I get off of convalescent leave. The kicker to this is I work in a military clinic....

lots of c-section comments as well....
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Just the other day my best friend told me I should have a physical and have my heart checked out since I don't have estrogen any more. Um...I kept BOTH ovaries and she knows that!
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixm View Post
i love this thread! a few of mine that drive me nuts:
my MIL keeps insisting that i will be back up and around in no time, and seems to think that i will be fone the day i get out of the hosptial!

if one more person tells me "oh you're going to feel so much better!" i am going to blow up or throw up...

my chiropractor's receptionist told me today that she is so jealous- which at that point i rubbed it in and told her that i am 31 and never have to worry about my period or underwear again!

my favorites come from my husband who actually asked if a) they could make the hole deeper so he doesn't hit the back and b) can they install a coffeemaker since they are taking everything else out? (he was trying to make me laugh and it did work!)
One comment came from my Mum who has been there positive at my side all the way through this so was "well at least when this is all over you will save a ton of money on pads and tampons!" I can't really call it a stupid comment cause she was trying to make me feel better and it did make me a crack a smile. Still wanted t share it
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM

I have a few favorites. One co-worker calls it "removal of lady bits" thankfully my co-workers are great. My MOST favorite came from my Dr, from a legal script. "you do understand you can not become pregnant after this surgery?" I believe my response was "um duh"
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM

I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago and lost 140 pounds. As a result, I have a ton of extra skin around my stomach and upper thighs. I've never had the desire to have it removed (I'm kind of over the whole surgery thing now, kthnxbai) but now I'm scheduled for my hysterectomy next week (endo cancer). My sister, bless her heart, says to me, "Hey, maybe you can get a "twofer" now - two for one - see if the surgeon can tighten up your tummy and lift your boobs as long as they have to open you up." She got one of these looks...

o.O

Yeah - because that's what I'm worried about - floppy boobs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register