Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!! Dumbest thing someone has said to you?!!

Unread 08-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Re: So, what's the dumbest thing someone has said to you @ surgery?

a couple of them gave me headaches too, so after awhile DH and i gave up and stuck with condoms, and they ahve worked the best for us for 8 years! but we won't have to worry about that anymore after tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixm View Post
i have heard the same thing waaaayyyy too many times!
Me, too! How exactly is having a hole cut in your vagina, chopping up an organ, ligaments, and nerves then pulling them through and sewing it back together the "easy" way? I can't even tell you how many times people have commented that having an LAVH is SO much easier than the alternatives, and that "you should be up an about in no time" as if there is something wrong that I have taken four weeks off work. Most people have been supportive, but some are just plain stupid.

Pre-op sisters, please don't let my comments scare you! It really was OK. The pain was pretty manageable, but the fatigue and blah feeling takes some time. If you have lived with endo, painful fibroids, cysts, etc. for all this time, you'll think this is just one long stretch of the &*%$ you've been through all your adult life. The difference is that this time, you'll know that it is only temporary and won't have to check the calendar to see how many "good" days you'll have until the next month's party starts up again.
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM

OMG I am not far enough post op to be reading this. Laughing hurts so much. I found I only had 3 people I could talk to and voice concerns to. It really made me realize who the "stupid" people were in my life.

I told 2 people in the end when I had my surgery. I was so sick of the drama & insensitivity I just wanted it to all go away. I hope we will all see the end of the rainbow but before and during it would have been nice to have people who seriously could validate our fears, concerns, and pains. I guess that's why we are all here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Here are a few:

1. A good friend sent me a text with the following: "Make sure to text as soon as you are out of surgery so I know all went well." Well as you can imagine I was not able to text in recovery and it has been a week and half since surgery and I have not heard from her!

2. The night nurse came into my room asking me where is your baby? Did you send him to the nursery. I had to laugh and tell her my babies are sitting on the sofa all three of them are here from college. Apparently someone forgot to tell I had a hysterectomy.
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM

I am returning since I have another - i was horrified in the hospital and before and that isn't like me. - even my hubby was about to give up so while in pre op - there were at least 4 different medical persons that came in and saw how nervous and frightened I was so to ease my neves. - each asked "who is you doctor". I answered and they replied " oh, HE is so good. You are blessed and will do great.". The first time I heard this I freaked out but DH was there to calm me , by the fourth or fifth time we knew they wee step ford nurses or just had good intentions. My doctor is a FEMALE!!!!!!!!!
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM

OK, that's a LOL one. Like the waiting period isn't hard enough.........I threatened to put a Sharpie warning on one arm about something (joking) but I think I'd be pulling that sharpie out if nobody knew my dr's gender.
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM

They gave me something called vester or vestin in pre-op because I was so scared. As soon as that stuff hit me, I wouldn't have cared if my surgeon was an anteater. They have to do all the questions and talks with the docs first, but after that, be sure to get a hit of that if you can. It sure made that last hour of waiting bearable and then some :-)
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:14 PM

I did write with sharpie on my knee to tell them to Pls B Careful many surgeries. I hope they are not insulted. Last GYN surgery my knee was messed up. I hope this helps. We'll see!
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:51 PM

We'd just left the dr. office and I had just found out I needed a hysterectomy. I was tearful in the car. My sister cheerfully said, "Oh this will be just like your C-Section! We can even keep your uterus and set a timer to go off every 2 hours just like your kids did!"
Well the thought of this was so upsetting. Here I was hearing that I will not ever be expanding my family and she said THAT. I'm not gonna lie. It hurt.
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:06 AM

The lovely med cgul is refering to, I believe is Versed. It is given through your iv. Doesnt make you sleep but gives you amnesia of the time period right before your surgery. Ive heard people call it "happy juice" bc its goes to your head (in a good way) & for that lovely ability it has to make you not remember everything clearly later.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register