how common is it to have heavy periods after getting tubes tied | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how common is it to have heavy periods after getting tubes tied how common is it to have heavy periods after getting tubes tied

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:07 PM
how common is it to have heavy periods after getting tubes tied

i am a 22 year old mother of 2 girls. after my second daughter i had my tubes tied, due to the fact that iam diabetic and my doctor suggested that iahve no more children. sence the tubil i have only been off my period for 2 months, and that has been 20 months ago. my doctor has tried a verity of opitions, none seemed to work and now i am having a adominal hyster. on feb. 11. i just how common this is a problem wiht other women. my docotr told me that it effects a lot women, but there is no medical reason for this. i just wish i would have been more informed if this happens alot, so i could have made a more informed desion. thank you for your responces, and this website....it has been a god sent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:37 PM

Amanda - Thought you'd find this link interesting. It's from our "polling place" section of the message boards.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=ligation
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:16 AM

Hi Amanda

Do you have fibroids?

I have researched fibroids (as most of us probably have) I have learned that ONE in FOUR women over the age of 35 has them. Fibroids are MOST common in women aged 30-40, but they can occur at ANY age. Some may cause no symptoms and require no treatment. Although fibroids are quite common, little is known about what causes them. The female hormone estrogen seems to increase their growth. The levels of estrogen in the body can rise or fall based on natural events. For instance, pregnancy causes an increase in estrogen and menopause causes a decrease. Medications (ie: birth control pills) also may cause a change in estrogen levels.

Abnormal uterine bleeding may be caused by fibroids, or hormonal changes. It also may be caused by infection of the uterus.

Endometriosis may cause scarring, adhesions, pain. This condition mostly affects women who are of childbearing age. In most cases it is not a problem after menopause because a woman no longer has menstrual periods.

I asked my dr about fibroids being genetic, or related to tubals (she didn't do mine). She said there have been no medical studies to either prove or disprove genetics or tubals playing a part. I personally believe that the genetics and hormones play more of a part than tubals. I know lots of women who have had hysts, of the ones I know (except here) I am the only one who also had a tubal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 06:34 PM

i have never had fibroids, although i have had many cyst on my ovarys. like you i think some of it has to do with family history.
my mother had heavy bleeding and ovarian cancer, and had to have a hysterectomy, my grandmaother (my mom's mom) hadto have a hyster due to ovarian cancer. my mother's sister had to have a hysterectomy because of heavy bleeding, and i don't think that she had a tubial. my father's mother had a hysterecomy, due to cancer cells, and my fathers sister had to have a hysteroctomy due to cancer cells at the age of 22, the same age i am now. so i belive a lot of factors come into play here, but i just wonder if in some cases a tubial doesn't set things off.
take care hope your hyster goes well....

Unread 01-26-2002, 06:47 PM
happened to me too

Oh I am so sorry that you too have this problem --- I NEVER had any problems until 6 years ago after my tubal. I am a 39 year old mother of 2 boys that will be at the castle the same day as you (2-11-02). I have found more and more women to say that their problems all started after having tubes tied. I, like you wish that someone had informed me of the possible problems. I wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers. If you haven't tried it the live chat is a great place to get answers and encouragng words -- take care.

Angie
Unread 01-26-2002, 10:47 PM

I had spent nearly 17 years thinking I had gone crazy. I had 3 C-Sections with a tubal after my 3rd. I had never in my life had a cramp or any other symptom with my periods. Witnin 4 months of my tubal EVERYTHING changed. First eratic periods, then heavy bleeding with some clots and cramps. Through the years these problems were worse and worse. My OB/Gyn at the time said he didn't feel there was any connection. When he moved I saw my family practice doctor. He was older and a country boy. He told me then over 85% of his hysterectomies were on post-tubal women. There was no medical reasons but he knew it happened,
He told me then (13 years ago) to get ready for a hys. No way was I ready for this and hormones for life - I was in my 20s. Four years later (he had retired) I saw new OB/Gyn. My uterus was enlarged (to about 12-14 week size) but no fibroids were found.
He recommended a vaginal hysterectomy but still I wasn't ready (especially for hormones). He was going to let me keep my ovaries. I told him I would get back with him after I checked my schedule. I went back 5 years later (I was really busy). At that time new hormones were found to be effective. I have spent the last 5 years with worsenng symptoms then the dr. dropped my ins. I found a new doctor and had a TAH/BSO on 12/26/91. I stalled so long I had several small fibroids and 1 very large one. A vag. hys. was no longer an option. We decided to remove the ovaries since I was already on hormones.

In answer to your question - I never had a problem until after my tubal.
Unread 01-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Heavy Bleeding after tubay

I too suffered from this problem. I spoke to my ob/gyn and the advice that was given me was due to the fact that I had been on the pill before and after the birth of my first child, once I had the tubal after my second child. I no longer had the effects of the harmones on my body. I spoke with my mother about this and she reminded me of how bad my periods were before I got on the pill. I belived that the problems with bleeding were an effect of the hormonal changes in my body with out the pill.

ttj
Unread 01-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Me too

Hi:

I believe my problems are directly related to my tubal (I had them cauterized) and after reading the report that just came out it seems if you had them cauterized you may experience more problems than if you have the clips..

My problems started about a year and a half after my tubal, excesive prolonged bleeding, we tried many many different hormonal agents to re regulate me..

After I had the tubal, my dr said "you may get your periods every 21 days now" wish I would have known that prior to the tubal.

I am scheduled for a laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy on 2/13, you can bet I am devouring everything I can on the subject.
I see my dr this Tues, I already have a long list of questions, may have to go and edit some, lol.

On the other hand there isn't alot out there on the LSH's as it's still pretty knew..but atleast the LAVH's have been pretty standard procedure in the past.
Unread 01-27-2002, 11:59 AM

Tubals didn't become common until the 70's. Prior to the 70's women were having menstrual problems, and hysts were very common, they have been the most common surgery since the 60's, if not before. How many of you were on some form of bcp before the tubal? Or had kids? The hormonal changes from either of those could have caused the problems, and the tubal was just a coincidence. I am the only woman I know of (except here) who has had a tubal and later had to have a hyst. It is also possible that as you age your ovaries don't work as well and that contributes to the bad periods. How many women who have had tubals don't we hear about because they haven't had any problems? If tubals are responsible on a widespread scale, someone somewhere should be calling for further investigation. The insurance companies wouldn't be so quick to pay for a tubal if they thought they were going to have to pay for a much more expensive operation down the road.

JMO
Unread 02-13-2002, 01:14 PM

Actually I had my tubal at age 22 and all my problems started then....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register