Surgically Induced Menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgically Induced Menopause Surgically Induced Menopause

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:17 PM
Surgically Induced Menopause

I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep my ovaries (assuming, of course, that they are healthy when the doctor sees them). My doctor says it's totally up to me but she would probably have them removed if it were her because, aside from the small risk of cancer, I would avoid the possibly unpleasant process of hormone decline. Since I'm 48 I'm looking at menopause fairly soon, I would think.

Any thoughts on whether surgically induced menopause is easier to deal with than natural onset? (BTW, I am aware that there is some indication that ovaries do contribute something even after menopause and I'm taking that into consideration).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2002, 10:54 PM
I KEPT MINE, BUT NOW...

MINE WERE HEALTHY AT THE TIME I HAD MY HYST. IN 2001, BUT, NOW I AM BACK WITH MORE PAIN THAN EVER BEFORE... CAUSE BY MANY MANY CYSTS GROWING ON MY OVARIES....

AT THE TIME I WAS ONLY 34, AND MY DR.. FELT THAT I WAS TOO YOUNG TO HAVE TO BE MEMOPAUSE!!!!

NOW, THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE!!! I JUST WISH HE HAD TAKEN THEM OUT BACK THEN, AND I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO INDURE JUST PAIN...

WELL, JUST A YEAR LATER AND THESE HAVE SURFACE (CYSTS)...

BY THE RESEARCH I'VE DONE, MY CHOICE IS TO GO THROUGH SURGICAL MEMOPAUSE, THE HRT THAT THEY HAVE I'VE READ ABOUT WORKS, JUST AS LONG AS YOU AND YOUR DR. COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER...

I HAVE JUST 5 MORE DAYS TO GO... 1/29

GOOD LUCK, AND BEST WISHES...
ALISA
Unread 01-25-2002, 12:21 AM
the sticky question

Hi, Kodiakid! The ovary question is the most sticky, controversial question. If you're younger than 45, you want to keep your ovaries if they are healthy. If you're older than 45, it's more of a personal decision and each woman has to make peace with that decision. 1-2 women out of 100 will develop ovarian cancer during her lifetime. If you are at higher risk for ovarian cancer, you would want them removed. If you are not at risk, then you could have your dr make the decision during surgery when he/she can actually see if they look healthy still. Other than family history of ovarian or breast cancer, the risks of ov. cancer are: age younger than 12 at beginning menstruation, age older than 30 for first baby (or no children), and infertility. A new study just out reports that they found no increased ov. cancer in women who had fertility hormone treatments, which is good news (though they still could be at risk due to their infertility problems). I had thought I wanted to keep at least one ovary (I'm 48 also), but I was borderline for ov. cancer risk and they didn't look too healthy at surgery, so my dr removed them. Now I'm really glad I don't have to worry about that cancer or other problem with my ovaries. If you are agreeable to taking HRT (would you take it after natural menopause?), then it wouldn't be too much longer to be starting it now, and researchers think we can take HRT indefinitely as needed. Some women have difficulty finding just the right type and dosage of HRT that makes them feel good, but I feel great on Estrace--actually feel better than before my hyst since my ovaries were barely functioning! If you don't take HRT after surgical menopause, the symptoms may be more intense than with natural menopause, but your dr would probably start you on HRT in the hospital so you wouldn't notice many symptoms. You can go to the top of the page to "search" and type in "keep ovaries" or something similar to find many other threads where sisters discussed the pros and cons. Good luck in making your decision. s
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 03:45 AM

If your ovaries are healthy and there's no risk of ovarian cancer in your family, why not leave them? Would you ask your doctor to remove healthy ovaries if she weren't doing a hyst?

To answer your question about surgical menopause being easier to deal with than natural menopause, you need only go visit the Hormone Jungle message board. There are many women there who are struggling to obtain hormonal balance long after their surgery. There are no better hormones for you than the ones your own body produces, and these hormones can be supplemented once you reach natural menopause.

This is certainly not an easy decision, but one that you have to be comfortable with before your surgery. Read the articles at www.hormonejungle.com and discuss any questions you have with your doctor. I'm sure you and your doctor will be able to make the right choice for you.

Best wishes,
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:06 AM

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. It's a tough call to make for some of us, isn't it?
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:35 AM

I won't go into all the reasons to keep or give up, but I am 40 and had a tah/bso 4 weeks ago. So far, I don't miss them or feel any difference. Then again, my hormones were so wacky before hand (had terrible PMS mood swings) that I am probably better off without them.
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:36 AM

It is such a personal, tough decision to make. In my case my right ovary has a history of cysts, and the left one looked ok on the ultrasound, but I feel pain in that area also, so both of mine are coming out. My sister's experience helped me decide - she had one ovary removed, a couple of years later had to have a hyst, left in the other ovary, couple of years later had to go back in and get that one. My periods have always been very irregular, so I've always wondered if my ovaries were working correctly. 11 more days and they're history!
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:50 AM
PLEASE READ!!

kodiakid,

PLEASE DO THE RESEARCH. The doctors sometimes do not give you all the necessary information to make an informative decision.I would really advise u not to have your ovaries removed.

i had my hyst. Dec 4, 2000. It was the worst thing i could have done. I ask myself daily..WHY DID I DO THIS TO MY BODY!! I have mutilated my once young and vibrant body into this person that i don't even know. I would like you to check out this site it may help you make a decision.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/endohystnhrt/plea.html

I do know that every case is different and you need to be aware of any other options.

I wish you the best in your decision..

Please let us know how it goes.. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please IM or email me if you need to talk.. [email protected]

Christi
Unread 02-03-2002, 11:01 AM
The ovary question

On 1/18 I had a TAH/BSo. I too wrestled with the question of keeping my ovaries. I am 50 so natural menapause was just a matter of time. Over the years I had surgery for an ovarian cyst, cervical polyps removed and a myomectomy to remove a fibroid only to have it grow back again which was the reason for my hys. Aside from the ovarian cancer issue I just didn't want to go through any more surgeries so I opted to have the ovaries removed. So far I haven't had any HRT and have had no menapausal problems. I also realize that it is early in my recovery and they still may occur. If they do we will deal with it. The doctor says that since I was close to menapause anyway the symptoms may not be that severe. Hope this helps you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register