Foley Catheter/Burch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Foley Catheter/Burch Foley Catheter/Burch

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Foley Catheter/Burch

Is a Foley different from a regular cathater? What can I expect after a TAH/Burch? And for how long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:26 PM
foley catheter

A foley catheter is one that has a balloon on the end that is placed in the bladder. Balloon is inflated with air to keep the catheter in place so you can move around. The balloon is deflated prior to removal. A straigth catheter has no balloon.
Unread 01-25-2002, 01:07 AM
kodiakid

Your question about the foley/catheter was already answered, I'm also having a burch procedure done along with TVH-BSO on 01/29, my has said that sometimes you will have to self cath for about a week to get going again, and in rare cases, premanantly! Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is not the case for either of us!
Good Luck,
Mizmanager, TVH-BSO-Burch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 06:02 AM
Foley Catheter/Burch

Hi there

I also had a TAH/Burch done on a Monday. I drank TONS of water in the castle. In fact, the nurses commented about how often they had to come empty my bag.

On Thursday morning, the nurse took my catheter out. Within about 1/2 hour i was going on my own and went 3 times within the first hour. So, it worked really well for me, but I really think all the water helped.

Best of luck to you !!
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:34 AM
Foley Catheter/Burch

Hi!

I also had a TAH/Burch done but mine was done on a late Friday afternoon. I too drank alot of water and cranberry juice in the castle.

My catheter remained IN until the following Wednesday because despite all the IV penicillian I still managed to develop a bladder infection so they allowed the catheter to stay in so that my bladder could rest a little longer. I was initially supposed to be in hospital for 4 days, my stay lengthened to 7 days.

All in all, when they did remove the catheter, it didn't hurt at all, like I feared it would. The nurse was ever so gentle. WHEW! I was up and peeing within 20 minutes! A little rough going but not the end of the world.

So, today at 10 weeks, things are going pretty good! I am GLAD that I had my bladder fixed with the hysterectomy (among other repairs) and the twinges and other little experiences diminish with every passing day!

Good Luck!!!

Mugwump

(feel free to e-mail me with any questions)
:email: [email protected]

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register