4 weeks post op - feeling overwhelmed - does this end? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op - feeling overwhelmed - does this end? 4 weeks post op - feeling overwhelmed - does this end?

Unread 08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
4 weeks post op - feeling overwhelmed - does this end?

Hi sisters,

I had a robotically assisted radical hysterectomy exactly one month ago today. I went back to work (desk job) half-time this week and feel so fragile that I am about to break! Although I am starting to feel better physically, I am mentally and emotionally overwhelmed. Today, in a meeting I couldn't articulate my thoughts and it even took me a second to remember what year it was... on the way home, I got into my car and just burst into tears. I feel completely isolated because I don't know anyone else who has gone through surgical menopause. I don't know what to expect about when this will end and I will feel like myself again. I have an appointment with my surgeon next week where we will discuss HRT. She has already said to me that because I have migraine with aura that this puts me at a higher risk for stroke (I am 45 years old).

I have started seeing a therapist who wants me to try an antidepressant, but I want to wait and really decide about HRT first. I can't believe this is happening to me. Maybe it's too soon after the surgery to tell...

Does anyone out there have any words of encouragement or words of wisdom? Does the mental fog lift? Is it normal to feel so overwhelmed upon returning to work?

I am reaching out to my hystersisters!
P.S. - I had the hysterectomy for preventative reasons as my sister is dealing with a very aggressive form of ovarian cancer. She is in stage 4. My surgeon told me that I had a lot of endo, so I think the surgery was a good decision...but I just want to feel normal again.

Any advice? Support? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Re: 4 weeks post op - feeling overwhelmed - does this end?

What you are experiencing is normal. The body goes thru many changes after we have our major female parts removed. Hormonal fluctuations as we recover from the stress from surgery and the loss of hormones can cause symptoms. Be patience and give yourself some time.

I was put on ERT immediately after surgery, still had major hot flashes, cold flashes and big mood swings. I will never forget the day I cried watching an episode of The Brady Bunch! Or the time my in-laws were over for the weekend and I had a major melt down. They are all now memories, I made it thru, once I understood what was going on, I was able to deal with it better and help those around me to understand.

You can read more about menopause here https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_hoj.htm

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Thank you so much for this encouraging reply! It made me cry… Go figure! :-)

It's helpful to know that what I'm experiencing is normal. I am trying to cultivate patience with myself and learn from this experience. It sounds like you did that earlier in your life and now you're able to help others. I have so much respect for that and I appreciate so much that you're willing to share your experiences in this way. Bless you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:27 PM

I remember when I was going through this and had the same questions. the good news is that it does improve. It took some time to get my hormones more normal and until then, I was a mess!! I still have mild problems occasionally where my hormones get out of whack and I feel like I am about to lose it. I am lucky that I can do hrt so that has made a big difference for me. I remember that I was in such a mental fog that I went to the store and couldn't remember why I was there, where I parked the car. Luckily I have a car key that beeps so I found the car!! Much better now.
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM

These are great stories! Oh my gosh, how I can relate! Do you remember how long it took before you started to feel like yourself again?

I called my doc and she prescribed ERT which I start tonight so I'll keep you updated! And thank you so much for the response… It means so much to hear other people going to the same thing :-)
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:25 PM

I had a terrible time going back to work. I hated my job and my life but didn't realize it was hormonal. I resisted HRT but after no improvement I tried it. In 3 days I was better. That's pretty fast so don't expect that but it was such a relief. I hope the hormones work quikly for you. I totally know that feeling of being overwhelmed at work. Let us know how it goes for you.
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM

I have been on estrogen now for three days and do admittedly feel better. However, my migraines are back and I know my doctor will not think very highly of this. The larger question is do the moodswings go away after a period of time with surgical menopause? Is this temporary? I don't want to be dependent on estrogen for the rest of my life and wonder what will happen at the end of one year, two years, three years when I need to go off. I know it's different for everyone but the encouraging comments I've seen on this board have really inspired me to ask these difficult questions. Thank you sisters!
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM

I am in my 4th week too and starting to deal with some emotional issues. I'm not a sad or depressed person so this is a trying time. I keep feeling like I am skirting around the edges of a black hole and one mistake and I'm sunk. I've never felt this way before so it's difficult. What does seem to be helping is reading this site and knowing I'm not alone. I just keep telling myself this is not me, its just the hormones or lack there of. I won't be able to take HRT so going to have to find a way to cope with my new normal. Hope u find some relief soon.
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Oh my goodness. It sounds like we are in a similar boat. I am not sure if hrt will work for me either, and I am scared of not being on it. No history of depression here either, until this last month ha! I would love to know if this is temporary or not. My mom assures me it is temporary but she had her hysterectomy long after menopause which seems to be different. I don't really know. I am learning as I go here and send out hugs to you. Good luck.

Does anyone out there have some answers about typical length of surgical menopause? Especially as far as mood swings go?

Thank you again, dear sisters!
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:39 AM

Donna,
For me, it was temporary. As I moved farther away from my surgery date and closer to hormonal balance, my moods evened out. I am actually a much calmer now than I was pre surgery, well on most days.

in there. Things can get better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register