New "Sister" on the block | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New "Sister" on the block New "Sister" on the block

Unread 01-25-2002, 06:58 AM
New "Sister" on the block

I'm glad I found this site. It was one week ago today that I went to doctor and found out I would have surgery in near future. I am scared. I TRUST my doctor but everyone tells me to get second opinion. I am 33 years old, wonderful hubby and two daughters. I smoke. I have been on the pill for too many years to name and fear the excrutiating circumstances of my life if hubby got vasectomy or me a tubal. Those were not even options in doctor's eyes. Hysterectomy, in her opinion, was my ANSWER. I thought I was just going to doctor for routine well-woman. Left WITHOUT a prescription for pills but a double wammy presciption of headache meds and found myself on the condom aisle asking pharmacist about foam!! Today is the first day I have even been able to get online and check out the big "H" word. I won't have surgery until April. Vaginal -- at least that's what I remember. After she said "Hysterectomy," I honestly don't have a recollection of the visit after that. Next appt. we will go over details. I am young, but I am not too young to suffer every month, right? If I could be headache free for a SOLID two weeks, I don't know if I could handle it. I'm rambling. Sorry. Thanks to each of you for everything you do to us future princesses -- hubby already calle me that. CindyG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 08:26 AM

Hi Cindy

Yes, get a second, third or fourth opinion to make sure you're comfortable with the decision.

What are your symptoms? And did your dr give you a diagnosis, other than telling you you need a hyst?
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:31 AM

Welcome to our world on the pre-op board!!!!

I too was blind sided at my annual "routine" check up in December. Thought all my symptoms were under control therefore I would prove the Doc wrong and avoid surgery. As my luck would have it B/P was through the roof, and I am anemic, walked out on Blood Pressure meds, Iron and no pills. I too had to make the trip to the pharmacy isle for birth control options!!!

Well the good news is you will slowly come to terms with all this, it took me weeks to adjust, and then schedule a date. The nerves will always be there, but slowly you will put it on in perspective.

This site has been a godsend for me..........and really helped. Ask questions and keep reading the posts, many of your questions will be answered.

A second opinion is always a good idea and I would encourage you to seek one. A good doctor will not mind your doing that! You need information to make sure this is your only option.

Join us often.......we are all here to help our sisters!!!!

Sending good thoughts your way.................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 08:40 AM
WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME

Hello Cindy,
Welcome to the Hystersister's site. Is'nt it great? DH (dear husband) and I found this about 2 weeks ago, and decided to join. We sure could use as much support as we can.
First of all, why were you recommended for the big "H". If I miss something, I apologize (I blame it to LUPRON).
Second opinion is always right. Just to double check everything and have another alternative. I does'nt hurt.
Try to think of all the blessings you have, like having a wonderful DH and 2 lovely daughters, that always put a smile to our faces.
I will be 37 in march and have a wonderful DH also and a very precious 6 yr.old boy. The 3 of us had already been talking about having another child when we were told that it is a high risk for me & the baby (more likely miscarriage) because of the non- stop bleeding. Myomectomy is not even the option anymore.
I am not sure if you have enough info for why you should have "H" but you need to start doing research and gear yourself up with all the questions you can think of. Then you & your can discuss things very clearly and with details. It took me at least 2-3 visits before I could understand what is really happening. Only bec. I was on denial and was'nt informed enough about the options and terms. I did have a second opinion and is now more comfortable (DH & I) about it. As a matter of fact, the second DR. is the one doing the big "H". That is one more thing that is important, be comfortable, rest assured and feel right about the decision. It's a big thing and can't be taken lightly.
Keep visiting and reading on here at hystersysters, and you will soon find a lot of info your looking for, specially support. Works for us so far. I have some info. but don't have the address on hand. I will find it and get back with you, OKAY? Hang-in-there.

TAKE CARE ***MARY***
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks to the Welcoming Committee

DH just called. Told him I was on net and had found you ladies and was finally ready to learn more about all of this. I don't know why I haven't cried until today but you know what? Today is the day!!!

My problems are like a lot of others I have been reading here: periods for 8, 9, 20, 265 days -- no, really 8 to 9 days, headaches, flowing like a river, headaches, constantly changing protection, headaches, dysplasia, cramps and all the other special "ingredient" problems that go along with all those and in case I forgot to mention, headaches.

My doctor explained it like: Why live life in misery? I know I don't want any more children and know when I get off the pill I will be miserable. I DESERVE to live happily-ever-after 365 days a year, right? I know I am young but I'm trying to make that a positive. I hear of lots of women SUFFERING when they were young, only to truly experioence a FULL life in their later years when they finally had a H.

Right now I am filled with new info to think & churn in the ole brain. But I am patting myself on the back today for facing my situation. The last week I just was in denial.

(wiping tears)

Well, I have today off. Getting my two favorite little people ready and we are going SHOPPING!!!

Thank you ALL-Hugs, CindyG

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register