Why only estradiol? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why only estradiol? Why only estradiol?

Unread 08-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Why only estradiol?

I'm curious. If the ovaries produce estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, why, when the ovaries are removed, estrogen is typically the only one replaced.

Also, since most of the estrogen in our bodies is estriol, why is the estrogen replaced ususally estradiol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Re: Why only estradiol?

My dr. Said you don't need progesterone if you don't have a uterus. Not sure about testosterone.
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:11 PM

I was only on estrodial for years and today for the very first time since my Hyst 10 years ago in Sept my OB finally perscribed Testosterone. I believe that the women who need to progesterone haven't had a Hyst of any kind...I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM

My doctor prescribed Activella, which is a Estrogen & Progesterone combination.

He said I needed the Progesterone since I had endometriosis. This would help shrink any endometriosis that was left after the hysterectomy since there could be microscopic lesions left that could continue to grow if not for the Progesterone keeping them in check. Progesterone acts as an estrogen blocker, which helps shrink the endometriosis.

Higher Progesterone levels= lower sex drive, higher fat storage, increased appetite and thirst.
Lower Progesterone levels = grumpy, irritable, tearful.

Progesterone breakdown compounds attach to the brain's GABA receptors just like anti-anxiety meds. Several progesterone metabodies act like endozapine at GABA receptors to produce a calming, sleepy sensation. For some, this GABA effect causes depressed mood, low energy, low sex drive, decreased memory and concentration.

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2007 and am still on Activella. It does a good job, however, I am always tired and my muscles hurt.

I have been doing some research and found that I need testosterone. I have tried EstraTest (Estrogen & Testosterone Combination), but it made my head itch. Not sure if it was because the Estrogen in this prescription is a synthetic, whereas the estrogen in Activella was the 17-Beta Estradiol type (made from same molecule as what we naturally produce, versus a mixture molecule makeup-some of which your body has never used or made and doesn't know quite how to use it).

From my research found, I think testosterone is very important.
Low Testosterone = low energy, muscle mass, bone density.
depression
achy joints
sex drive

Information obtained by:
It's My Ovaries, Stupid! (2003)
Author: Elizabeth Lee Vliet
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:55 AM

Estrone and Estriol are formed when Estradiol is broken down in your body. It's thought that you don't need to add them in. Your adrenal glands kick in after you lose your ovaries and start to produce some of the progesterone and testosterone you need. For a lot of women it's not necessary to add in the other hormones. If your estrogen is deficient, your body will scramble to try to produce some of it from body fat (Estrone). If it's doing that, the adrenals won't be able to produce much in the way of progesterone or testosterone. It's usually advisable to get your estrogen level correct first before you start adding in other hormones. Once you get your estrogen in a good place you can let your body settle in and see what you produce on your own.
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Also, a lot of drs are wary because of the nurses study which showed more problems when you added progestin. What they don't get is progestin is different from progesterone.

And they don't always get that the testosterone could be an issue. It's proven that oral estrogens can suppress your ability to produce testosterone (and thryoid). People and drs usually think of testoserone for libido, but it's so much more than that.

Bottom line is that you might not need all three. You might not need any of them, but there's no way to know that right away usually. Slowly and one at a time is the best way to do it.
Unread 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Thank you so much. I am so confused. All I know is I cry so much, everyday. I lost all my muscle tone. I'm the fattest skinnest person I've ever met. My OB just took blood to check all my hormones, so maybe she will alter things later. Thank you so much..I feel so alone in this. My family is either laughing at me when I cry or yelling at me that I'm crazy when I'm short tempered. Not one time has anyone in my life said I'm here for you. Before my hyster I used to have high levels of estrogen, so much so they ran a test for ovarian cancer. So you can imagine going from high to nothing after medical menopause. I never knew what hit me and they never told me. Thanks again
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM

pugglez, that sounds like both low estrogen and low testosterone. The crying and mood swings low E, the loss of muscle tone and fat/muscle ratio low T.
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:00 PM

You are not alone, sister. I had my hyster 22 years ago (28 yrs old then) but as long as I get my Estradiol shot every three weeks I do as well as I can. But if I can't get that shot on the 3rd week, it is terrible. First headaches, then irritability, next crying.

I have tried others (pills, pellets, etc) but none work for me as well as the Estradiol in a shot. Hang-in there but remember what you feel is for real - YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register