Severe Dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia Severe Dysplasia

Unread 01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi Everyone,

I found this site last week and have been reading through lots of posts since then. It is comforting to read how others have felt when going through a difficult time.

I had an abnormal pap in December, followed by a colposcopy and biopsy. Results were severe dysplasia involving the glands.... I am scheduled for a LEEP on 2/27. Although the biposy didn't say cancer...it hasn't been ruled out yet. Having to wait an entire month is causing me a tremendous amount of anxiety. Every ache and pain has me paranoid that it is cancer and has spread already.

Question....I have had a back-ache since late April, it never really goes away. Could this be related???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi there sister!

I'm in a similar situation to you kedda.....abnormal pap in December, followed by a colposcopy with a diagnosis of severe dysplasia. I had a cone biopsy last week and while the doctor wants to wait for the pathology report, he said that he doesn't think that there will be clear margins.

My mother had uterine cancer and a radical hysterectomy (did fine afterwards), my sister has had dysplasia (but not severe, she was treated and is fine now). Although my doctor says that these things are not known to be geneticallly related for a fact, he doesn't want to take any chances should something turn up or clear margins not be found, and hysterectomy may be a possibility here.

Like you, the waiting is the most difficult part. I've gone through crying jags and being depressed. I know that is pretty normal and I'm sure it's considerably better than trying to keep it all in. I want to know what's going on with my body, but at the same time I'm nervous about finding out.

Since finding this site I've learned so much from all the ladies here and it really has helped me to sort out reality from fiction, and I've gotten a lot of strength from these compassionate and caring women. This is my first post...but I've been reading and learning from this site almost every day since I registered.

I do have the cancer fears, as you do, and I could really relate to what you said about the aches and pains and the wondering. I'm interested if anyone has any insight into this or has gone through a similar situation.

A and a big

dreamfire
Unread 01-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Severe Dysplasia

HELLO KEDDA,
I KNOW THE WORRY AND ANXIETY RELATED TO THE WAITING.
I ALSO HAD TO WAIT FOR ALL KINDS OF TEST RESULTS AND
D & C PATHOLOGY REPORTS BEFORE THEY FOUND OUT I HAD
ENDOMETRIAL CANCER IN THE EARLY STAGES.
I THINK I WAS UP ALL NIGHT LONG FOR AS MANY NIGHTS AS I COULD REMEMBER.THE ONLY TIME I SLEPT WAS WHEN I WAS FORCED TO, BY MY BODY.
WORRY AND ANXIETY ARE SO COMMON WITH THIS WAITING THING!! WE HAVE ALL GONE THROUGH IT, SO PLEASE TRY YOUR HARDEST TO RELAX A BIT. I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT TRY AND GET INTERESTED IN T.V OR READING OR CROSSWORDS ETC.
BE PATIENT, IT WILL ALL BE OVER SOON.
OH! I HAD MY HYST ON NOV.12TH OF 2001. THEY GOT IT ALL AND I DON'T NEED ANY FURTHER TREATMENT.
YOU'LL BE O.K. TOO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2002, 11:41 PM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi Kedda, welcome to hystersisters. I am so glad that you found this site when facing this difficult time in your life. It isn't a nice thing to be facing. I was so scared when my abnormal cells were found . I too, thought that the dysplasia/abnormal cells were racing through my body. My gyn assured me that this type of abnormality is a very slow growing one.

If you have read my story, please remember that what happened to me is very rare.

As for the backache ... I had a backache before but I dont think mine was related at all to the dysplasia , I still have the backache ( I garden alot) but if you are concerned then maybe mention it to your gyn.

I know how hard it is not to worry but please try to think positive and remember we have all had some type of scare with cancer and know how you are feeling. We are always here for you . You take good care, love always xxx
Unread 01-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi Kedda -

I recently went through a similar experience and also found this site incredibly helpful.

In my case, I had an abnormal pap in Sept followed by a colposcopy in October, LEEP in Nov. My LEEP results showed microinvasive squamous cell carcinoma. I had a cone biopsy a week ago, and no residual microinvasive carcinoma was found. I know just how you feel about the waiting. I am now feeling very lucky, and blessed - but know that I have to keep up with regular exams etc.

I came to this site for support and searched the web for every bit of information I could find (and understand!). I don't recall in any of my reading that back ache was a symptom of cancer - however I would mention it to your doc. Cervical cancer is considered one of the slower moving cancers. I did see a gyn/oncologist who told me that if I had to get cancer, this was the type to get as it is so slow moving and it very treatable.

I spent the month and half between my diagnosis and my cone biopsy results just as you described - absolutely certain that every new ache and pain was a new cancer. You just need to find things to keep your mind occupied and do your best to put it out of your mind.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need support!
~Gina
[email protected]
Unread 01-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi I have been right where you are. I started this journy last Apirl and have a surgery date of 2/4. The dr told me that the smartest thing i did was to keep all my appt. and that i followed through with it. It is very unlikely that you have anything wrong with your back but ask. Believe me i asked some of the craziest ? and my dr never failed to answer them. Your back may be from stress and worry and not sleeping good. The dr told me one time to go home get in a hot shower have a good loooooooooooooong cry and then get some sleep, may have been the best advice i got. stay in touch and good luck peg
Unread 01-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Severe Dysplasia

Hi ladies....I too have gone through all the waiting and thinking too much, ordeal you have...In May 2001 pap came back abnormal with squamous cell carcinoma (High grade). Then in June I had a biopsy. July came with a LEEP, which by the way don't hurt at all! Follow up pap in Dec with pre-cancer cells again (mild). My Dr. gave me some options..do another colposcopy with another biopsy, another LEEP or go to a vag hyst. I chose the hysterectomy. Today I am 8 days post op and feeling pretty good. Surgery was not bad at all. From the time they said "abnormal pap" the waiting for this test and that test was so hard. Cancer runs big in my family so I was very concerned. I went into the castle on Jan 22 and was out Jan 24th. My Dr. and all the nurses at the hospital were awsome. When the choices were thrown at me it wasn't hard to make a decision. I was borderline invasive cancer. I would much rather have my life than my cervix & uterus. I know it's a scary thing and I hope you get the answers you need soon. This site has helped me so much. Read as much as you can about it, ask questions to the other ladies. Your Dr. can tell you things but unless he/she has had all the test done they cannot make you feel like these ladies can. They have been through it. As I have. Somewhere on this site there is a sister who will be able to make you feel at ease. I have found many. Take care and god bless you...Let us know how your doing....
MzShirley
Unread 01-30-2002, 07:17 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I understand the stress involved with the waiting and worrying!

I'm now 38 years old and my mother started me, in the 12th grade, at 17, having yearly paps and I never had an abnormal one until...

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with severe endocervical dysplasia, which means that it was up high, right at the uterus. I had a biopsy done which came back confirming the pap results. So, I had a conazation done. The pathology report also confirmed it and said there were well defined margins, meaning he got it all.

A year later, it was found by another pap to have returned. This time, I had a LEEP procedure & biopsy. Again, the margins were well defined. I was praying that would be the end of it.

Another year later, I had my hyst (this past Dec.). The pathology report from that showed it had returned once again.

Each time, it was classified as severe endocervical dysplasia. After it returned the second time, the dr said that if it came back a 3rd, he would recommend a hyst. Well, the pap I had a month before my hyst came back normal. It was pretty scary that the pap smear came back normal and a month later, the pathology report from the hyst said it had returned again!

I too suffered from back pain. But the reason for my hyst was for adenomyosis, which probably caused my pain and also dilation of my left tube, which was found during the surgery, could have added to it too.

I am so glad I had my hyst so that I can now relax! I will continue to have paps in the rare chance that it may pop back up in the vagina.
Unread 02-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Hi kedda and dreamfire

Hi guys,

I know that the waiting is the absolute worst part. I don't know if you believe in praying but I find that helpful too.

I had a pap with severe dysplasia as well. Had a LEEP.
Follow up Pap from LEEP showed sever dysplasia again so I had the cone.
The cone biopsy was where they found the cancer. "Micro invasive carcinoma", stage 1b they called it.
I am 7 weeks post hyster. and doing just fine, with no further treatment needed.
I just want you to be encouraged that if in fact it is cancer - it is VERY VERY curable. A huge percentage of cervical cancer is curable with surgery only.
You are on the right path, keep reading ( the path dict and links listed at the top of this board are excellent).
Ask any and every question you think of both here and with your doctor. Just stay in touch with your doc's office and you will have an excellent prognosis.
Hang in there guys- may the time pass quickly. It is goin to be OK.

Feel free to email me too, if you need anything.
Unread 02-06-2002, 06:41 PM
{{{Kedda}}}

I know that worry! I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had to wait a whole month until surgery and I was sure every ache and pain was the cancer spreading. The good news is....severe dysplasia and/or uterine and endometrial cancer are usually very slow growing.

The backache could be related, yes. I had a backache, too, and it was gone shortly after surgery. When I remarked to my Dr. about it she said the uterus had been swollen and was probably pressing on my spine.

On the other hand, it could also be stress causing the backache. This whole process is very nerve wracking and it's amazing how stress tenses us up and makes our body systems go haywire.

I have a link on dysplasia for you. Lots of info here that might calm your thoughts.
http://www.baymoon.com/~gyncancer/li.../aa110600b.htm

Lastly....please call your Dr. and get something to help you sleep and aid with your anxiety. I wish I had. It will help your peace of mind to at least be able to get some good REM sleep.

I will keep you in my prayers.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{healing hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register